• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help IMAP Synch Problems

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Android, and new to the forum. I've had my HTC One for several months now. I love the phone and I'm having a blast with it so far.

My biggest challenge is that the native mail app doesn't synch my IMAP folders properly. Messages I read and delete from other devices (PC, iPad) remain as unread messages in my INBOX. I can't access any of the personal folders I've created on the IMAP server, and messages I send from other devices do not show up in my Android SENT folder.

I've been searching like crazy to see if a solution exists, but I can't find anything. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Thanks,

I was hoping for a solution so I could keep using the native mail app, but oh well... I installed K@ Mail and all the IMAP issues are gone. I think K@ is experiencing some stability issues, the app closed unexpectedly a few times on me. I think that's why they are offering it for free right now. Other than that, I really like what they are trying to do with the mail client. Very nice interface, and highly configurable.

I'm surprised the native client is such a major fail, but K@ seems to be a good alternative.

Upvote 0
I've just bought the HTC one and am having trouble with the stock mail app. All accounts set up ok but I keep getting a connection timeout error. It manages to sync new emails but when I open them it won't display anything.
It doesn't make any difference whether I'm on 3g or wifi.
I've tried with another mail client (mail. Com) and this works fine so I don't think the phone is faulty. Problem is I need to have exchange support and I haven't been able to get that to work with anything apart from the stock app as there is some kind of security policy imposed by the email host.
I've tried a factory reset and it didn't help.
Any suggestions of what I can try? Or possibly a 3rd party client that supports exchange 2010 with security policy?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Pez,

I am a bit confused (which isn't that difficult for me :) ). You say the client will sync your messages but not display them? how do you know the messages are being synced?

are you trying to setup EXCHANGE emails or just regular pop accounts?

if you want to setup exchange accounts from your job or what have you, there may indeed be some security policies in place. the IT section of the department managing the exchange accounts will help you with this.

if you have success with a 3rd party app (mail.com) why not just use that and be done with it?

general questions:

are you rooted?
what carrier are you using?

if you want some recommendations on 3rd party app clients, head over to the app section:

Android Applications - Android Forums

Upvote 0
Pez,

I am a bit confused (which isn't that difficult for me :) ). You say the client will sync your messages but not display them? how do you know the messages are being synced?

are you trying to setup EXCHANGE emails or just regular pop accounts?

if you want to setup exchange accounts from your job or what have you, there may indeed be some security policies in place. the IT section of the department managing the exchange accounts will help you with this.

if you have success with a 3rd party app (mail.com) why not just use that and be done with it?

general questions:

are you rooted?
what carrier are you using?

if you want some recommendations on 3rd party app clients, head over to the app section:

Android Applications - Android Forums

Thanks for the reply.
What I mean is that the mail app seems to sync ok and I get a notification that I have new mail. However, when I then try and open said mail all I get is "Loading mail..." Eventually it does seem to get the content of the message, as if I go into an old email it seems to display fine. Don't understand.

Also, if I look in accounts/sync in settings it says there is a sync error with the mail app.

Surprisingly enough, the exchange account is the only one that is working ok! There are security policies that I have to accept in order to access that account on my phone and this seems to work fine with the stock app, but I've never managed to get it working with any app from the store, hence the reason I'm keen to get the stock app sorted.

I've got 3 other accounts all trying to sync. One is imap and 2 are pop, none are working correctly.

The phone isn't rooted and is with T-mobile in the UK.

Cheers

Upvote 0
if you go into an old email then the other email that is trying to display will load fully?

are these messages with images?

what happens is you SEND mail form this account.

are ALL of your pop and imap accounts having the same issues?

and no matter who sends you the mail, ALL mail does not display properly?

i take it you have removed the accounts and re added them?

when you look into the accounts and sync page that has the error, what errors are occurring? contacts? calendar? mail?

Upvote 0
Hmmm... Now I'm even more confused.

I've just tried all the accounts again and all are working apart from my main personal one (GMX using IMAP). I was sure I'd had the timeout error with the pop accounts but now I'm wondering if the error just happened to display when I was looking at the pop account and actually referred to a sync error on my GMX

I've tried deleting the accounts and have also done a factory reset but its still the same.

The settings I'm using for the GMX account are the same as on my old phone:
Server: imap.gmx.com, SSL, Port 993
Outgoing server: mail.gmx.com, SSL, Port 465

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones