IMHO, the REAL problem with an Android phone such as this is...General

Last Updated:

1. ispamforfood

ispamforfood Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That it's running the Android operating system. No offense to google, but seriously, how long has Android been around? 1.5 years. Look at the basic Verizon software.... thats been around for a LOT longer. Of course Android is gonna be buggy as hell.... It's running on open source software. :p

Not to say other phones arent buggy, but then again, I had several phones that worked as designed almost flawlessly for years.... Razr, LG Chocolate, umm.... Some Samsung phone... They were all basic, sure, but they JUST WORKED.

The public should consider this a crash course in living the life of a Linux fan... OMG LINUX IS SO MUCH BETTER! Except i cant do this, this and this.... I didnt want to do that anyway... But look at how it does THIS!!! They can tell themselves all they want, but in the end, they're using an OS that doesn't have a company with almost BOTTOMLESS pockets with which to spend on software development.

Look at the iPhone 4 fiasco. Another point- Hardware devs are sacrificing quality for "bling", for fluff. People are pissed off about the i4, and what does Apple do about it? deny deny deny..... Hey, I should get the new Prada phone! Who cares if the phone runs like shit? Its Prada! Honestly, the hardware industry is just feeding us table scraps dressed up like Thanksgiving dinners, and we're buying into it because we HAVE to have the latest and greatest....

Want this crap to change? Stop buying phones. En masse. For about 3 years. Then you will see a spike in lasting quality. Once the hardware/software companies know you're not going to upgrade simply because the new phone is "prettier" or runs 20% faster, they'll realize they need to stop ****ing around and start spending a LOT more money on internal hardware/software testing.

Like the line from the old 70s movie "Network" goes, the American public, and indeed the industrialized world, needs to stand up and say "I'm mad as hell! And I'm not gonna take it anymore!"

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechnetwork2.html

If you're not willing to do that ^, you might as well bend over, because nothing will change for the better. Not for a LONG time.

Advertisement
  2. Android noob

Android noob Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll stop buying phones for 3 years... :)

3. Android noob

Android noob Well-Known Member

That'll show my friends with the latest phones.

4. SyDTRaKKeD

SyDTRaKKeD Well-Known Member

the real problem with Android is that it is running Android???

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

My (non-Verizon, it was the original) RAZR had more problems than my Eris. Granted, it was the original RAZR V3, so it was underpowered and had lots of problems. But non of which would ever be fixed because it was a dumbphone. I had to use a damn paperclip to wipe the phone's ROM, and try to fix problems myself.

So with that....

YouTube - Billy Madison - Insanely Idiotic (Academic Decathalon)

6. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

Just because open source software is open sourced, it does not mean that it is any less usable or stable. Hell, if stability was an issue, you would need see Linux/BSD running a large part of the internet and Apache serving up the majority of web pages you see. (I'm pretty sure "basic Verizon software" was developed independently for each different phone by each company too.)

Writing a program to do simple functions is very easy. When you start interacting with a large range of hardware and a large variety of software, you are bound to run into bugs. Writing a program to say "Hello World!" is much simpler than a program that would pull feeds from twitter, sort them, and allow them to be searched.

I'd rather have a group of devs who are passionate about their work, enough so that they'll work for free just for a sense of accomplishment, than some that will get a paycheck regardless. (That being said, I use Windows. While I never encountered a problem I couldn't fix on Linux, I never really found any reason to switch personally.)

This is true for anything that favors form over functionality. As far as scraps go, I have to disagree. You might have been able to argue this a year ago, but since the Nexus One's release, a "minimum" standard has been established for Android devices (more or less). I will agree the QA seems to have declined lately perhaps.

Most people don't care if a phone is 20% faster or lasts forever, they care about aesthetics, they care about status symbols. (Look at why the iPhone has such good brand recognition)

gospodinwizard and TheDanimal like this.
  7. lessit

lessit Well-Known Member

Nothing will change for the better until everyone stops buying phones for three years??? The RAZR and Chocolate are "better" and "flawless".

Sometimes I don't know where people come up with this stuff. If anyone is interested I have a couple of these "flawless" phones from yesteryear that I'd be glad to sell you at a price commensurate with their supposed perfection.

8. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

You are 100% correct, however android is BASED on linux but developed by a company WITH bottomless pockets...aka Google.

But sure, its still a new OS and it takes time for it to mature on all devices that are sold on the market.

9. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Go get an iphone if youve got that attitude. I think you need a walled garden kind of thing...
    And anyways, its mainly just the eris thats having problems. Ever since ive switched from my eris to the droid ive never had any problems.

Now, while the android platform itself is indeed open source, that fact alone does not mean that the software on the phone can be edited etc etc (Basically root access). It means some guy in his basement could build a phone and put android on it with no cost to him. So in this case, the eris is about as open source as the palm pre or windows. We have virtually NO control over the code in a (stock) eris. In linux you can do whatever you want if you have the knowledge, but on android on stock unrooted phones you have very few priviledges that actually make you think, oh this is open source.

10. Gato

Gato Well-Known Member

On Verizon I've had some crappy flip phone with a monochrome screen, a Moto Slivr, a Samsung Glyde and now the HTC Eris. Every one of the previous phones before the Eris had some Verizon craptastic crippling UI that sucked holy hell. The Slivr is/was a notorius butt dialer and the Glyde was just plain crap. None of these phones could tie the Eris' shoe laces. I'm perfectly happy with mine and will be until......well until I'm not or I can get a new phone.

There's probably plenty of free phones in Verizon's cannon of phones. If you just want a phone that functions as a phone then go to Verizon and tell them you want to trade down to one of these. I bet they won't like worrying about dropping your data plan and will gladly negotiate with you. Then everyone will be happy.

11. Tooleman694

Tooleman694 Well-Known Member

For what this phone does, I think it does it very well..

For the Linux comments, Linux has its place in the world.. It may not be the best choice for all applications.. for example desktops.. but for servers and embedded applications nothing can beat it..

12. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

I am impressed that anyone dignified this thread with an answer.

+1 for funkyfender's commentary though.