Important DROID X Questions

Last Updated:

1. Inous

Inous Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum and though I would ask a few questions.. I used the introduction forums to post my original post but haven't received a response yet so I figured I would post in here since its a root forum. Here's my original forum post

Advertisement
  2. bobomatic

bobomatic Well-Known Member

"the Official FroYo isn't going to have tethering"
    i think i read somewhere that the DX, will have WIFI tethering.
    with 2.2 you can pay Verizon to use it, if you need it right away.
    but it will get rooted sooner or later, and you will beable to tether free.
    good luck over there.

Edit: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/verizon-droid-android-update/

look at paragraph 8.

Inous likes this.
  3. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

We already have WiFi on our rooted phones, not ROM rooted, but semi-rooted.

Froyo isn't going to have WiFi for only the original Droid... The DX will though.

I think you are confusing the DX with the original Droid with alot of your facts...

Inous likes this.
  4. Gskellig

Gskellig Well-Known Member

Although 2.1 on the droidX can be rooted, the bootloader is locked so there is no custom ROMs for it. Froyo is supposed to come out soon for the X, but like 2.1 it will be loaded with the usual bloatware that people end up ditching for custom roms.

There are plenty of tethering apps that work on 2.1 and 2.2.
    If you're talking about the "mobile 3G hotspot" from verizon, that costs extra a month, but allows multiple devices to be connected.

5. Inous

Ah ok, I'm trying to grasp all the in's and out's of rooting. So you root the phone to open the phone to use ROM's correct? Can you load multiple ROM's simultaneously? Is the process all that hard to root and Unroot? Also, if a phone is bricked is it almost always recoverable? I ask this because I'm going to want tweak the hell out of my phone.

6. Inous

Actually this is what I'm referring to:

7. HalfFrozen

HalfFrozen Well-Known Member

8. Inous

Thanks for the link, Primarily before I left I used a program called tether for my Blackberry. I paid a one time fee of 10 bucks for the program and loved using my laptop on the road with unlimited data usage. I hope to find this with the DROID X. And come to think of it this tether program had an android version in beta. I wonder If I can use my same account and download the program for DROID X when I get home. Either way free mobile hot spot and tether is what I was looking for, which to my understanding is free now with the Froyo ROM thats out for the DROID X. Can this be confirmed by someone here?

Thanks a ton!

EDIT: Disregard, I was looking at a DROID article and not a DROID X article, wow! thanks again

9. Inous

OH CRAP, Sorry... I can't believe I just now realized that... That's embarrassing...

Completely missed the Fact there wasn't an X there after DROID... haha

10. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

You root the phone to root it. The bootloader is used to load ROMs. They are somewhat unrelated. You can load ROMs without root. You can root without loading ROMs. From there it gets hazy based on what you want to load but only one ROM at a time. Sometimes root is necessary. Rooting is easy once someone has done the hard work so I don't know how to answer that. A bricked phone is rarely recoverable. Best of luck tweaking the hell out a platform you are unfamiliar with (see previous sentence).

Having said that, you'll enjoy Android. Tethering is available on all Android handsets in some form.