• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Important.. need info about the insurance.

phil_, If you have homeowners insurance (or maybe even renters insurance), it should be covered for things the warranty doesn't... but your mileage may vary. Just an option that could save you a good amount of money.

Thinking you have a very odd understanding about how home/renter's insurance works. That's theft or destruction through damage to your residence. Like... fire. Best of luck calling your insurance company and saying you dropped your phone and want them to buy you a new one, or that someone stole it out your car =P

Upvote 0
Thinking you have a very odd understanding about how home/renter's insurance works. That's theft or destruction through damage to your residence. Like... fire. Best of luck calling your insurance company and saying you dropped your phone and want them to buy you a new one, or that someone stole it out your car =P

It does work just the way it was discribed. The problem is that if you make the claim you better make sure it is worth it. Since it can raise your premiums for 5 years. Home/renters insurance is exactly how most iPhone users have insured their devices for the last 3 years since no phone insurance was avail for it.

Upvote 0
phil_, If you have homeowners insurance (or maybe even renters insurance), it should be covered for things the warranty doesn't... but your mileage may vary. Just an option that could save you a good amount of money.

Do you know what the costs for renters insurance are? A rough estimate is fine. I am not really worried about my products not being covered because of warranties but, I am worried about robberies occurring in my building.

Upvote 0
this is from at&t website and this link list devices with their current deductible ( http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/pdf/wireless-phone-insurance-deductible-schedule.pdf ).. the HTC Aria is listed at $50...i have the insurance on my phone... i don't mind the $5 a month for the piece of mind that i won't have to fork out a monster amount of cash to replace my phone

Wireless Phone Insurance

Protecting Your Wireless Investment
Choosing protection for your wireless phone means added security. What Wireless Phone Insurance means to you is fast, hassle free protection when you need it.
Wireless Phone Insurance protects your wireless phone against loss, theft, accidental physical or liquid damage, and mechanical and/or electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty period has expired. The program has a monthly premium of $4.99 and a non-refundable deductible for each approved claim. The premium and deductible (for an approved claim) are added to your monthly billing statement.
KEY PROGRAM TERMS

• $4.99 monthly premium
  • Incidents Covered: lost, stolen, accidental damage, liquid damage, and mechanical or electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty period has expired
  • Deductible: Each replacement phone is subject to a $50 or $125 non-refundable deductible per approved claim depending on the phone model
  • Limits: Two claims within any consecutive 12 months, with a maximum replacement value of $1500 per claim
  • Claims may be fulfilled with new or remanufactured replacement equipment and may be a different brand, model or color than the covered equipment. Compatibility with current accessories and features is not guaranteed.
  • You may cancel coverage at any time for a pro-rated refund of the monthly premium
  • NOTE: Please keep a copy of your original purchase receipt and/or proof of purchase for your insured equipment which may be required to fulfill your claim.

Upvote 0
Just depends on who the insurance is through. Different providers give different benefits. The insurance I was offered was Best Buy's and it's $10/mo. It covers everything.

As a former BBY Mobile employee I can tell you that's incorrect. It does not cover if the device is lost or stolen. Many reps tell you it covers everything until you try to make a claim when its lost and they tell you to take a walk.

Upvote 0
FYI: HTC Aria is under tier 1 $50 deductable as of 3/1/2011 through AT&T's insurance.(Asurion)

Newer phones like the Inspire 4g are tier 2 $125 deductable.

Most states have an AT&T store that does warranty work. So if you have tech issues they'll fix or replace your phone before the 1yr warranty is over.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones