• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Importing birthdays from facebook to your Android Phone

Depends on the phone. Official Facebook for Android app won't sync birthdays to Google Calendar on a raw Android phone.

But HTC Sense, Samsung Touchwiz, and Motoblur has unique in built Facebook services that will sync birthdays into respective UI calendars. Don't know how to turn individual features off and as far as U know this capability does not exist.

Upvote 0
Try going to Facebook > Events > Birthdays > Export Events (bottom of the page).

When you click "Export Events," a pop-up appears with a URL. Copy it.

Open Google Calendar and on the left side of the screen, below the "My Calendars" tab, is a tab that says "Other Calendars." Under this tab, click the "Add" button and select "Add by URL."

Paste the URL you copied from the Facebook pop-up, click "Add Calendar," and let Google Calendar do the rest.

Then, on your phone, go to Settings > Accounts and Sync and click the button to sync Google (this step is for the impatient; if you wait long enough, Google will automatically sync on its own).

For awhile I couldn't figure out why Facebook would work with the "Other Calendars" and not "My Calendars." Then I noticed that you can modify "My Calendars," while you cannot modify "Other Calendars." I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I find it interesting that Google and Facebook both seem to have the same "error" when you want to create a calendar you can modify.

Hope this helps some of you! It was a relief for me to figure it out.

Upvote 0
I followed the method described by eZtaR and it worked well.

My only issue is that, when I am on my Calendar in Android, birthdays are filling up the WHOLE day's schedule, not just the top. This is not happening in Google Calendar on my computer.

This seems to happen because Facebook enters the birthdays from 12am to 12am, where other calendars (like US holidays) enter events as "all day" with no hours.
Any way to work around this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones