Importing Contacts into GmailSupport

Last Updated:

1. ralber

ralber Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, my world has moved mostly smoothly to Google's embrace. I successfully made the jump from Thunderbird to Gmail and Google Calendar. But getting my 2000+ contacts into Gmail looks very daunting.

Has anybody found a reliable way to get all of info about each of my contacts into Gmail records with addresses going into an address field, faxes going into a fax field, etc. etc. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't just dump (or synch) Thunderbird address records into Gmail contact Note fields.

Help!

--------- Rick

Advertisement
  2. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

I wish I could be helpful..but I have researched and researched this. Gmail's import is really lame and horrid.

I even tried the old, reverese mapping, where I created a super user in Gmail with tons of contact info to get their "map" and then re-mapped all my columns in my csv to match and then attempted to import and after all that, no dice.

It really irks me that it is so tough. I also have all my contacts in VCF format which gmail has no problem exporting, but again will not import.

I also tried emailing a VCF card as an attachment and again no dice.

My frustration level is very high on this front.

3. MarvinAndroid

MarvinAndroid Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what Thunderbird is... but I exported my Outlook contacts into a comma deliminated text file... and Gmail imported most of them without a problem. 90 contacts in about 5 minutes... definitely saved me some time.

4. dkaufman1

Thunderbird is the cousin to Firefox, also made by Mozilla Foundation. It is an elegant open source email solution for the desktop.

5. upgrayedd

upgrayedd Member

There is a Thunderbird add-on called Zindus that synchronizes your Thunderbird Personal Address Book with your Gmail contracts. That's how I got all my Thunderbird contacts into Gmail.

6. upgrayedd

upgrayedd Member

Zindus gets everything into the right fields (not Notes)

7. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

There's also gContactsSync ... though, I'm not very fond of it.

8. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

I'm using gSyncIt! and I love it. Had a few speed bumps to in the beginning, but now all is well and sync'ing happens without me even knowing! It was $10 and well worth every penny. :D

9. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

Uh, gsyncit doesn't meet the OP's requirements, as it doesn't sync with Thunderbird, just Outlook.

10. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Yes, of course. That's my bad. :eek:

11. ppcinfo

ppcinfo Member

I just spent the last 3 hours working on getting my 400+ contacts from Outlook 2007 into Google contacts. Simply exporting my contacts to a CSV file from Outlook and importing into gmail contacts didn't work (a lot of my data didn't import, like the addresses!).

I searched around and didn't find a good solution. So here's what I ended up doing:

1) Export Outlook 2007 contacts to CSV file (DOS format)
    2) Created one sample contact in Gmail (filling out all the relevant fields that I felt were important) and exporting that single contact to a CSV file.
    3) Now that I now know the column format that Gmail wants for importing CSV data, I proceeded to write some PHP code to read all the data in my Outlook CSV file into write out a new CSV file in the Gmail contact format.

My biggest concern, was getting my phone numbers, addresses, and notes converted over correctly. BTW, I used PHP coding because I felt it had easy routines for parsing out the CSV data. Even with my PHP script, I still had to edit and converted data a bit.

In the end, I got all my contacts imported into Gmail just the way I like it. Google needs to make some of this stuff more easier...

ppcinfo

12. dkaufman1

This sums up all the threads on this topic. AGREED!

13. rivviepop

rivviepop Member

Hey y'all, new here. I had the same pain and wrote some of my fixes down for other coworkers switching to the G1 to get their contacts "fixed".

http://tacticalvim.wordpress.com/2008/11/13/fix-your-gmail-contacts-to-be-g1-android-friendly/

Hope this helps some folks out there, it was a pain in the tuckus to get all these fixed. In my case, I downloaded my contacts in VCARD format from where I store them (http://www.mobical.net/) and found an online vcard-to-gmailcsv web page, ran it through that then imported.

http://labs.brotherli.ch/vcfconvert/

I'm not saying this is the best website out there, but it at least did a lot of the work for me -- it can convert to LDIF as well (for Thunderbird import), and I know there's a Thunderbird -> GMail sync tool/addon floating around out there somewhere...