• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Improve foreign language vocabulary app

Do we need such an app described in the post? (votes are public)

• Yep. I would use it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I would use it only if there were additional functionality I've proposed in this topic

• Nope. There is such an app on the market, don't see a reason why do we need a clone

• No way! I don't see how it can be helpful to anyone!

• Total voters
Hi there.

I'm interested, is there an app that allows me keeping words in English that I don't yet learned and it's translation to my native language + some context (explanation is below).
Although this app is pretty simple to implement I haven't found such.

So, if there is such an app, could you name it and if not, would you use it if it were available on the Android Market?

Why do I want such an app?
I learn English for about 2 years, usually I watch movies, TV series and read books. Whenever I encounter word I don't know I write it down to my textbook + it's translation + sometimes I write the whole sentance (context) from the book/movies or wherever I found it. To keep this words all in one place I started to use Dropbox (I've moved them from my textbook to a file that is under dropbox) and now I'm looking forward to store all my words that have to be learned on my phone which seems to me more convenient way to manage them. And what do I mean by manage is: I should be able to add new entries (word, translation, context), my app should run as a background service to remind me one word from time to time; I can see list of all words, I can check "I've learned this word", so it wouldn't be on the list any more. Simple yet powerful way to learn :)
More stuff may be implemented:
- integration with Collins Dictionary
- spell checker
- Dropbox integration (hmmmm... probably, I still want it to be exported from an app as a regular text file to my dropbox directory... this option is kinda... strange)
- website integration (simple website with the same features)
- google translate integration
- ... any suggestions?

Hopefully, I'm clear about what this app should basically look like :)

Kirill

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones