1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Improve Google Mail somehow?

Last Updated:

1. DNStuff

DNStuff Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 2, 2010
    While I think the Google Mail app is ALRIGHT I think it needs quite some improvment so I am wondering if there is either a good alteranative to it or if someone added features to it / modded it.

1) problem:

i can't select any text from any emails (written by others or myself) which isn't too great when writing emails.

is there any app for selecting text maybe? it's something i miss a lot on android. if i want to select text on a website I need to switch to Skyfire.
    I just can't believe coding a text selection is really hard so I don't understand why google didn't add it themselves yet.

2) problem:

when I'm on the go and sending an email and the CONNECTION dies for a moment the Google Mail app will be stuck at "Sending..."
    I guess it is stuck in a loop then and it won't send out my email but I also can't go back so I can only close Google Mail with a taskmanager.
    Can't this be fixed, too?
    I just want a GO BACK feature so that it won't get stuck in a loop. Maybe just an automatic Save Draft just when someone clicks Send and then goes to the Send process and then you get the option to force close that and just go back- I dont know.

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Oct 28, 2009
    1) I agree - I would like to see this as well. Perhaps a visit to the Google Android issues list would help - I am sure someone has already made this an issue and you could add your vote by starring it - see this search I just performed at the Issue list: Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code

At least once, if not more times, is that very issue mentioned.

If you check out this more general search, Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code - then you'll see the same mentioned for Web Browser, SMS, and other aspects of Android as well.

2) Although it is not an 'easy' way by going to Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> All tab --> GMail you should be able to force close it there. Another thing may be to use a Task Killer app to FC it when it gets stuck like that (I highly advise that you do not use such and app to automatically kill any tasks, but in situations like this, where you know you want to force close an app, I find Task Killer Apps very useful).

3. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    You can set up K9 to work with gmail. You'll need to enable IMAP access in gmail.com's settings. Also, K9 is a bit tricky to set up with gmail. You can try just setting it up the default way but it was creating new labels in my gmail account.

I had to set the NAMESPACE to [Gmail] and map the Sent folder to Sent Mail. Also, I had to check "delete from server when I delete". After all that, only the default gmail labels display. :(
  4. nemo1966

nemo1966 Active Member

Jul 16, 2010
    The best way to improve gmail is to delete it - I hate the conversation mode of the emails -yup REALLY hate it!