Improve Signal?Support

Last Updated:

1. erawtik

erawtik Active Member This Topic's Starter

This phone has to be one of the worst at signal iv had. My wifes TP2 which was mine i thought was bad but this is horrible. I get 0 to 1 bar on my moment and she get 1-2 bars. A few times it is searching for service and this is all at my home which sucks cause i cant make calls or talk on the phone long before it drops. Is there anything out there to help improve this that isnt to costly? I know Srprint has the airwave thing but that is a montly fee. Im not gonna pay to improve my signal every month on top of my service already. What im looking for is mabey an antenna that i could stick somewhere to help boost it enough to keep me from searching for service.

Advertisement
  2. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

On an old phone, I got one of those internal antenna things that's basically a sticker that goes inside your battery door. It helped me get a better signal in my office. Or maybe I just thought it did.

3. erawtik

erawtik Active Member This Topic's Starter

I just called sprint after going to a few stores to find nothing and they sending me a air wave at no charge since i live in a almost dead zone.

4. aihcmot

aihcmot New Member

Yup, I had the same problem with weak signals. Called sprint and tried to cancel my service, instead they offered the airave kit and the monthly fee of 4.99 for free. So, yes, call sprint and ask for the 'retention' department, they should be able to offer you this deal.

Gl.

5. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

also, bars aren't necessarily a good indicator of signal. Check the actual numbers in your settings.

I wish I could get the airave, but it doesn't run on satellite internet. I'm sure they'd send me one too, considering I live basically at the point between 3 towers, and rarely get a good signal on any of them

6. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

Sorry, but it was the latter. Those sticker things have been proven useless in so many tests.

7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

I don't want to speculate on this, because at this point it's a total guess, but...

Back when I had a Sprint Mogul, and was flashing it with 3rd party ROMs, there were also alternatives available that could flash the radio for better performance.

We know that Android 1.5 wasn't made for CDMA, and was patched in order to work on Sprint's network. I'm holding out hope that when 2.1 comes out, which officially supports CDMA, that we'll see improved radio performance.

-SF

8. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

THAT would be wonderful. I had no problems in my office with my HTC Touch, but my Moment really dogs when I'm in the office, especially in any of our conference rooms that aren't on an outside wall of the building. Even though I'm considered to be in "downtown" Buffalo, I'm sure that it has something to do with the fact that I can see Canada from the windows. My battery only lasts half a day on any workday, regardless of actual usage. On weekends it's a champ! Drives me crazy!

9. N00B Moment

N00B Moment Well-Known Member

I droped AT&T to come to Sprint and got this Moment and I have not been pleased with that decision. I can't get a signal ANYWHERE with this phone! My house 0-1 bar drops calls impossible to make calls sometimes, same crap at my girlfriends place too! And to top it all off! I live in a suburb of Memphis too! Its not like I'm out in BFE somewhere.

Ok done ranting, thanks for the info on the airave thing-a-ma-jigger!

10. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

Had mine for several months now. A truly wunnerful thang! They're also giving me the service for free.

11. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

That's cuz Sat uses POTS (Plain old telephone service) for upchannel.

12. SirCheese

SirCheese Well-Known Member

I believe the newer ones are 2 way and do not use dialup, but I guess it depends on who he is with as well.

13. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

The problem with satellite, even 2 way is high latency. Same reason it's no good for gaming.

14. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

This is the main reason. The newer satellite internet providers are 2 way, not through phone lines. It's just too damn slow.

Oh well, hopefully Summer 2011 we'll get high speed internet lines run through our little valley...since they're finally rebuilding our road (after 15 years of bitching about it lol)