Improve your Call QualityTips

1. CaptJager

CaptJager Well-Known Member

Original post was by EJHART at ##Droidincredible over on freenode.net .

I claim NO credit for this. Just letting you all know.
    I can confirm it made a huge different for me.

1. Go to Phone and Dial ##778
    2. Choose Edit Mode
    3. Password is 000000
    4. Go to CDMA Settings
    5. Scroll all the way to bottom
    6. Change Home Page, Home Orig, and Roam Orig from EVRC to EVRC-B
    7. Hit Menu and Commit Changes

Phone reboots and walla no more muffed voice calls!

Advertisement
    :
    tmarr, eyc, kjarrett and 6 others like this.
  2. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing it over!!!
  3. Ainvar

Ainvar Active Member

Trying it out now.
  4. tried this out.. what does "EVRC-B" even mean?

will post results
  5. tkim6599

tkim6599 Member

6. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Its just an additional low bandwidth bitrate (1/4 rate @ 2kbit/s) audio codec not originally available in EVRC:

Enhanced Variable Rate Codec B - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For a comparison, Vonage bitrates are:

Low quality audio = 30kbit/s
    Med quality audio = 60kbit/s
    High quality audio = 90kbit/s

It will basically allow for an additional level of call quality for respective signal strength...fills a void so to speak.
  7. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

##778 seems to do nothing on my phone.
  8. mrchambo

mrchambo Member

Are you tapping CALL after entering it?
  9. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

Yes. Wonder if it has something to do with call confirm.
  10. teufeltexan

teufeltexan Well-Known Member

It does. I had to remove call confirm to access the menu, then it worked fine.

Although I didn't perform the "fix" above - just wanted to view the menu...
  11. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

Disabled call confirm and it worked. Performed the fix and it seems like its a bit better. Still not happy with the weak service i have at my house.
  12. DonDraper

DonDraper Well-Known Member

Be warned if you are in or end up in an area that doesn't support it, you may have some issues...
  13. albiewan

albiewan Well-Known Member

I'm curious..what is you average signal strength at your house? Not the bars, the actual strength in dBm (menu-settings-about phone-network). If your dBm is -90 or higher on a regular basis, then this might help: Cell Phone Antennas and Cell Phone Boosters at Wilson Electronics
  14. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Sweet find, thanks for bringing it over. I will have to give this a shot and report back
  15. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

seemed to help a bit; will make alot of calls tomorrow, and see what people think..
    lots of complaints up to this point about voice quality when I call other mobile phones..

thanks for the tip!
  16. disciplined

disciplined Active Member

A little skeptical about this... Does it drain battery faster or hurt service in certain areas or incur additional charges? Why wouldn't verizon have this enabled?
  17. zeke88

zeke88 Well-Known Member

i just did this trick, testing it tomorrow
  18. EclipsePTY

EclipsePTY Member

I'm curious about this.
    Will have to try it tomorrow.
  19. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

It only adds the 1/4 rate codec, set at 2kbit/s, to the existing Full, half, and 1/8 rate codecs. Given that the "Full rate" is 8kbit/s, its not really an improvement, so much as you get to use the 1/4 rate instead of the 1/8 rate, in a marginal signal area. In that instance, it would be an improvement. It may smooth things out as the radio may not have to struggle to get the signal from 1/8 to 1/2 rate, and can just settle in the middle at the 1/4 rate.
  20. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

I assume they didn't enable this out of the box because it isn't a standard yet. Probably to pass FCC they had to force revision A out of the box.
  21. Hipshot

Hipshot Well-Known Member

just did it.. .the jury is still out ...we will see.. :D
  22. Websurfer

Websurfer Well-Known Member

Found this mod elsewhere on the forum yesterday and did it.. Seems to have made a dramatic improvement to my INC call quality...
  23. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

-85 to -92 usually. Texting and such is fine. The call quality isnt that good, but then again i have a land line for calls. My daughter has the verizon network booster cause she lost calls all the time but now has great service.
    moptart likes this.
  24. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain or confirm this?

I would like to do this but hate changing system settings that make things worse in the long-run.

I also don't notice too poor of a signal but hate knowing that it COULD be better!
  25. upther

upther Well-Known Member

I only really have issues talking to people who are using MetroPCS and Boost Mobile phones, other than that I'm fine. I did this last night and just got off the phone with my MetroPCS friend and the call really did sound much better. Now I'm really close to a tower at the moment so that could have been it too. I'll talk to her when I'm at home tonight and not that close to the tower and see how things sound.