• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

in a car...a wireless device charger for any device.

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
Last Saturday.. I was in Houston Texas.. at the Galleria... just window shopping with friends.

they had a 2015 Cadillac SUV out on display and a lady to tell you all about the car.
she was telling me about the center leather armrest.. between the 2 front seats.
it has an area in the middle of it that was just a rectangular plate, where you can lay a phone in.
you can put any phone on the plate and it will wirelessly charge your device.
NO need to change anything on the device. no extra back plate or anything.
just put you iPhone or android phone on it.

Is that right?

Last edited:
she said we could not test it out... because we had to have the car running/on.
which we could not do, because it was inside a mall for safety.

but I asked her.. don't we need to have some add-on back plate to our phones for it to work?
she looked at me funny.. like I was rude to even ask that.
she said it was NOT necessary.. any new phone will work.
this is same tech was used by the military to keep all their devices charged.

also that 2015 Cadillac is the first year to have a power 3rd roll seat.
that can be folded down or up with an electric button.
that seems odd to me.. for a luxury line (Cadillac). Since I have seen this in other lines long before.

Upvote 0
but I asked her.. don't we need to have some add-on back plate to our phones for it to work?
she looked at me funny.. like I was rude to even ask that.
she said it was NOT necessary.. any new phone will work.

Any new phone that supports that particular wireless charging standard will work - they already have the charging coil built in. There are still plenty of new phones that don't come with any wireless charging feature; those would need an aftermarket charging backplate (as you mentioned) in order for it to work.

this is same tech was used by the military to keep all their devices charged.
I've served in the military, and I work for the military. I've never encountered any wirelessly-charged equipment in OD green or desert tan.

I'm guessing that she wasn't selected to stand next to the shiny car for her technical prowess ;)

Upvote 0
This is what my truck uses and I can confirm it is compatible with any phone's supplied charger.;)

2014_ram_1500_det_lt_90814_600.jpg

Upvote 0
It was a Java box and mighty nice. :)

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helio_Ocean

(Link broken on the emoji-insane Tapatalk.)

I'm mistaken and didn't get it until 2007 - I got it at release.

The wiki isn't entirely accurate about the time line for included apps like Maps and a built-in browser. I side loaded Opera and another turn by turn nav app before Maps had that on the phone. You could add a lot of stuff as it was just a Java box.

In 2006, prior to the Ocean, I was running with the og Motorola Razr. Had also sideloaded Opera onto that.

Neither device featured quick or wireless charging.

No idea why not, it's like the designers were living in the past. :D

Upvote 0
Looks nice!
It really was and that's not just nostalgia.

The ultimate inbox was truly that and Android still hasn't caught up to it.

All of your email accounts and all of your instant messaging accounts all in one place. If someone was trying to reach you by Internet means, you went to one place.

And messaging and emailing were tons faster than anything BB had put out up until that time.

The dual slider was great, the QWERTY keyboard put others to shame, seriously.

Didn't have to remove a cover to swap batteries.

I keep it on my desk, look at it every day whenever someone argues with me about whether Samsung, HTC, or Apple are the best and just shake my head. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones