1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

In-App Wifi Toggle: Awesome!!!

Last Updated:

1. bbqsfire

bbqsfire Guest This Topic's Starter

I really do find it hard to believe no one has posted a review on this app already. I have only had it for a little while but it great. I have a Sprint HTC hero and i try to save as much battery as possible. I keep the bluetooth off, i keep the wifi off, and i keep the screen dim.

Just like the app states it allows you to toggle the wifi while you are in another application. I don't know how many times i have been at work or at home and start surfing the internet to find that i should have switched to wifi. i have to home button out. slide over two screens to my widget and then toggle it on just to slide back over and access my internet.

NO MORE OF DOING THAT...i can simply long press my search button which i never, ever use and i get the complete action using option and i hit the IN-App wifi toggle and within a few seconds my wifi is on and i am surfing the internet on my wifi.

This application would have been so awesome to have when the hero was having issues downloading video or picture messages over wifi. would have been a simple long press and immediately turn it off to download the picture while in text.

I highly recommend this app for anyone that wants to conserve batterly life, gets annoyed easily by having to stop what you are doing and turn your wifi on, or just simply likes a quick and easy fix. i haven't upgraded to the evo just yet but from what i am hearing on its battery life this app sounds like a lifesaver for evo users as well. maybe this review will be ticket to that upgraded evo.

Advertisement
  2. HaggleLad

HaggleLad New Member

Glad you like my app! Please check out my website:

In-App Wifi Toggle

3. Androidimos

Androidimos Member

I cannot find any shortcut at my SE X8!

4. google123

google123 Well-Known Member

Hit home, slide to widget, activate wifi, press/hold home, activate recently used browser.....no slide this no slide that...but yeas, this app sounds cool...:)

5. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

This app sounds useful. But for me to justify overriding my search button, I would want it to popup a list of four options:

1. The default search
    2. Power search (an existing app)
    3. Wifi toggler
    4. A clipboard manager such as ClipStore

Can this be done?

6. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

Check out QuickDesk.

Double-pressing Home brings up a semi-transparent screen to which you can add any shortcuts/widgets you want. I just threw Android's Power Widget on there (which gives you quick access to toggle WiFi, BlueTooth, GPS, Synch and Brightness).

Single pressing Home acts as it always has.

I have used QuickDesk with LauncherPro and on standard Sense. No problems either way.

I haven't tried In-App Wifi and don't want to dismiss the developer, but it sounds like QuickDesk gives you much more functionality without you having to give up a button's functionality.

Also - I just saw that Faruq has released QuickDesk Pro. I bought it immediately, mostly just to support this awesome app that I've been using for several months (but the landscape functionality will be pretty sweet, too).

7. oldsmoboat

oldsmoboat Well-Known Member

Is there a G4 toggle?

8. jae_63

jae_63 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I hadn't heard of QuickDesk. I installed it (not as a Home replacement, but to be activated by holding the search button). It's very nice, but takes ~10 seconds to fire up on my KaosFroyo 37 (rooted Eris) under LauncherPro.

I was able to install the apps&shortcuts that I wanted in this context, as well as Voice Search. Except for the excessive activation time, it's a great solution.

But maybe there's a lighter weight solution out there, possibly involving the OP's In-App Wifi.

9. AnotherHiggins

AnotherHiggins Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, it is not a "home replacement". I'm using it with Launcher Pro & Widget Locker (a replacement lock screen) and there is no change in behavior when pressing the Home key. QD only opens when double pressing the Home key (pressing it twice in quick succession -- and just how quickly is an option you can change). Quick Desk, Widget Locker & Launcher Pro all play together very well.

A new version was just released (at the time that I upgraded to the pro), and it seems slow for me, too. Give it a couple of days. The developer seems to really be on top of things, so I'd expect another update to fix it in the next couple of days.

I'm on a non-rooted Incredible, so I guess it's possible that there will be a resource issue with it on the Eris, but, like I said, it's running slow for me right now, too. I haven't checked the dev's website for confirmation of a forthcoming fix, but it actually makes me feel better that it's not just me.

10. pWndYke

pWndYke Banned

Very nice review 5/5.