• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In case of light leakage, any other defects.

Blitzpwnage

Jun 3, 2010
I am getting a White HTC Evo 4G from best buy, do I need to buy the insurance and if there is some defects such as the light leakage cracked power button or mashy volume buttons, will this constitute a return for the 30 day return policy and get me a refurbish unit or should I get insurance on it?

Just a pre-owning question.

I am getting a White HTC Evo 4G from best buy, do I need to buy the insurance and if there is some defects such as the light leakage cracked power button or mashy volume buttons, will this constitute a return for the 30 day return policy and get me a refurbish unit or should I get insurance on it?

Insurance is a must have for such a pricey device besides is like $7.00 a month so I'm guessing that's not gonna make a hole in ur pocket.

I believe does hardaware issues have been solved by now,but before u leave the store make sure u check the phone.

Upvote 0

Those are all hardware defects, which are covered under the phones 1 year warranty. If you are within 30 days, you will get a new one. If you are between 30 days and a year, you will get a refurb.

Insurance is just for the things the warranty doesnt cover, basically any damage YOU do to the phone, losing it, breaking it, dropping it.

Upvote 0
"If you are within 30 days, you will get a new one. If you are between 30 days and a year, you will get a refurb." (sorry, couldn't figure out how to quote reply using my EVO and this was faster)

Before 30 days you will get a new one but after 30, the above is not necessarily true. You are more likely to get a refurbished unit after 30 days but they also may still give you a new one. Depends on stock and whatnot.

Upvote 0
The phone has a 1 year warranty through HTC. Most of the time, Sprint will help you with this. If you opt for insurance, not only do you pay $7 per month, but in the chance you need to use the insurance, you pay $100 to get a refurbished phone. Right now, they are selling for $400 on eBay. This will go down over time.

Insurance plays against the odds, I've never had insurance on any of my phones. Even if I pay full price for a phone now, I'm still ahead with years of not paying insurance.

Upvote 0
The phone has a 1 year warranty through HTC. Most of the time, Sprint will help you with this. If you opt for insurance, not only do you pay $7 per month, but in the chance you need to use the insurance, you pay $100 to get a refurbished phone. Right now, they are selling for $400 on eBay. This will go down over time.

Insurance plays against the odds, I've never had insurance on any of my phones. Even if I pay full price for a phone now, I'm still ahead with years of not paying insurance.

my last phone (samsung instinct) was replaced 6 times under insurance.... this evo...3 times before within 45 days

I'd say the insurance is well worth it, but the instinct didn't have a deductible so that may make a difference once prices drop (which honestly will be at least a year before one sees that happen)

Upvote 0

I hear ya. I actually agree with you.

Upvote 0
Well I would have to say to get insurance. I'm one of those types that NEVER drops my phones. Had the mogul for like 2 years or something, and finally it starting acting up, didn't drop it or anything. The screen started having lines and the display would freeze no matter what, unless I restarted it.

Took it to a sprint place, explained and showed them, and since I was on the insurance, I actually got a NEW mogul the next day, without paying 100 dollars. had little stickers on the IR ports and everything, brand new. I was curious about not paying for anything, but looking at the receipt, it did say 100, then they subtracted it, for some reason. Honestly, you'll never know what's going to happen, someone can bump into you when your holding your phone and knock it out of your hand. Better safe then sorry, and its only 7 bucks extra, still cheaper than other carriers plans, and you have protection at the same time.

Just my 2

Upvote 0
dude get insurance for the first year...then drop it

its worth it and cost effective if you loose your phone or anything happens to it...phones are SUPER expensive keep that in mind

i have 2 evo's i bought white models off best buy...BOTH of them have 0 problems..

just get a screen protector and dont take it to the beach Sand+Screen= FUUUU

had em both for a couple of months now too...they get ALOT of use...they are solid!

Upvote 0
dude get insurance for the first year...then drop it

its worth it and cost effective if you loose your phone or anything happens to it...phones are SUPER expensive keep that in mind

i have 2 evo's i bought white models off best buy...BOTH of them have 0 problems..

just get a screen protector and dont take it to the beach Sand+Screen= FUUUU

had em both for a couple of months now too...they get ALOT of use...they are solid!

Thanks for the input, now if I get the phone at Best Buy can I go to Sprint and get insurance there for it or do I have to go through best buy?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones