• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers

quest7

Android Enthusiast
May 9, 2010
However this does not mean we will be uploading ourselves. We will not think, or have opinions. It will be opinions conceived in our lifetime and we will not be quote unquote "immortal"

I've been looking into this for some time, why because as humans, we want to live forever, or at least until we feel like leaving it behind. Moral aspects of this have gotten in the way of doing this type of research, but I am a philosophical type, and don't care. So, if theirs a way to upload souls (in the sense of our being, non spiritual) then gimme a call. This is what I'm looking for lol.

*edit

Also the article is looking through a "futurist" sence. None of which is backed by actual research. The things I spoke of above are all scientifically studied. There are systems that make avatars of us that upload all of our thoughts and what we think, but we do not think through this process, its mearly the apparatus for future study on what we looked like, sounded like, and some of our own thoughts, but they are not us thinking, they are applications. True ai has not been found yet, and we cannot upload untill this impossible (from a programmer's standpoint) feat is proven not impossible.

All in all its a great article and I sure hope I can be immortal. That would be fantastic.

Upvote 0
I'm one of those people who believe we have spirits/souls as well as minds. Capture our memories one day, perhaps. But I can't see capturing our essence.

I do not think we have a soul.

We have a very complex thinking machine sitting atop our shoulders and this is why, in my opinion, we will likely never figure out how the brain works.

Ray is likely wrong.

Upvote 0
They'd have fun with Stinky
"I stink, therefore I am"

Smell is an essence according to perfumiers.

But... but... but,,.. when they take me (all in chains for being a cyber criminal and refusal to listen ta no one ek se! :):):)) up to the "Legendary o-meter" the reading would say in it's stereotypical, cheapy robotic voice:

"OH MY SWEET POTATO STINKY THE CHOSEN ONE

You are just waaaay too freaking awesome to uploaded to a measly pathetic and cheap as dirt computer like me!

It simply will never ever in a bazzillion gazzillion epochs hold your sheer awesomeness oh legendary 1!

Oh my Legendary Stinky Emperor!

Oh dear King of Kings of kings and... their kings of all their kings too...

We need to make a super computer at least the size of the earth itself to hold your sheer awesomeness...

What do you want your self to look like oh chosen 1?"

Stinky Emperor says:

"I swear to God... if you don't shut up asap I am gonna set you on fire...

I want to look like THIS you cheap as dirt robot!

deathstar%20demotivational2.jpg

And if you fail... well... then you just STINK! :D"

But doesn't this smell to me like a bit of "Troll-ja vu"?

OKAY ... SIGH... yes over the millenia you have been trolled into believing that that words real name is "Deja Vu"....

But you are all.. WRONG!

Because when you think you have actually seen something that you thought you saw before your brain like to troll you and say:

"Naaaaaaah you fool!

That you have seen before! :)

(snicker snicker and some more Trolly laughter from your brain)

:D"

What I is tryings to say is... didn't the "Einsteins" like waaaaaay back in the 1950's or something say that we will be flying all around in hover cars and that there will bez teleportation device thingies??? :thinking:

Skeptical, down right negative and the glass is half empty Stinky says:

Haven't we all heard this turd before???? :confuseddd:

hmmmm but if I am coward of death like a wimp...... then just before I look into my crystal ball and realise I am about to gin a years time.... then I want to go into one of THESE guys bruizer!!

BUT I WANT LOTS AND LOTS OF GUNS!

LOTS

T-800.1.jpg

Hehehehehee!

>:)

Upvote 0
My only concern would be... what if they hit Move instead of Copy? :eek:

It is interesting science. And as most far out predictions, it will likely become reality in some fashion at some point in time.

:D

bwhahahahaa! :D

Never mind that! :D

What if there is a power failure because mother ******* Eskom(TM) and our wonderful and flawless government has stolen all the cash for their solid gold houses???? :D:D:D

Then we peg bruizer! :)

Lost in da sands of time ek se!

But the big question is here..... what will happen to the fate of the universe if we invent the time machine???

Will the Mooses finally take over.... or will we UNITE and join forces!? :D

FunnyPart-com-no_time.jpg

Upvote 0
I'd rather be this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIbmIHINgWk

He reminds me of R. Giskard.

No, mooses won't take over, meezes will

zuben-el-genub-albums-whatever-picture7916-feed-cat.jpg

Ahhh, R. Giskard!! You have been enlightened to the literature of the Asimov I see. ;)

My second book as a child was I Robot. (First was the Hobbit)

In the end I feel Mr. Stinkus will prevail over all. We'll either destroy ourselves, or destroy the planet. In any event, the troglodytes will probably be the only things to survive.

Can you imagine, Stinkus God Emperor!! :D

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
Robots, robots, robots.

Humaniform robots.

Without a new form of portable power, like Asimov's atomic supplies, what will we have?

That's right, battery issues.

And with our uploaded minds into positronic or cyber brains, and really cool, durable bodies, you know what we'll do about the battery issues?

The first thing we'll do is ask in forums.

As we become our own cyber overlords, I predict that will lead to four principal arguments -

Does rooting justify breaking your warranty? This is your brain. This is your brain, rooted.

If we're going to be androids, is the oem skin better than a plain android?

Should I go with HTC or Samsung?

I've heard that Apple makes better robots because they invented them and androids are copies. Why should I become an android when my friends say it's better to be an iRobot? Who's Asimov, I googled his book, must be some Apple guy.

Seriously though, there will be some critical dangers to the cyberforming of people given today's technology trends.

First, having to pay an annual subscription for your mind apps to continue working.

Second, the controversy involved in using an ad blocker on your own memory.

Upvote 0
Ahhh, R. Giskard!! You have been enlightened to the literature of the Asimov I see. ;)

My second book as a child was I Robot. (First was the Hobbit)

In the end I feel Mr. Stinkus will prevail over all. We'll either destroy ourselves, or destroy the planet. In any event, the troglodytes will probably be the only things to survive.

Can you imagine, Stinkus God Emperor!! :D

My strange looking person on a chair friend!

I can't believe I missed your wonderful comments because of my so called ADHD!

I must now go and punish myself by watching this boring as hell and depressing video here!

To be Stinky or not to be Stinky... this is the question!

:)

And there ain't no way I am gonna become the Emperor of this crazy planet!

I want to get off this place first before everyone blows everyone else up! :)

:D

hehehe!

(As Stinky finally finishes off the most advanced space craft in the all the parallel universes combined he says laughing his bacon off: Up up and awaaaay from you crazy planet! Cheers... good bye... and thanks for all the rotten fish! (because I am a roach!) :D)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Thanks Stinky!

I think that most all of our literature on AI, cyberpunk, robotics and uploading our consciousness to machines predates the craze now of products advertising themselves during use.

I probably got the idea from this video.

Warning - very NSFW, very harsh language.

You've been warned.

So there's two sides to the idea of ad blocking our memory - the humorous punchline to that post as intended and also the serious side.

Would you install an ad blocker on your consciousness? If so, what would it do to your memories?

And if we did get cyberbrains that could contain our actual consciousness, the ghost in the shell, what would stop entropic cheese-related failures?

Fwiw, the first story I recall about a person uploading their consciousness to a machine was Philip K. Dick's Mr. Spaceship from 1953. Available in the public domain. All of his is good stuff. :)

PS - fixed your link Stinkman :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Stinky!

I think that most all of our literature on AI, cyberpunk, robotics and uploading our consciousness to machines predates the craze now of products advertising themselves during use.

I probably got the idea from this video.

Warning - very NSFW, very harsh language.

You've been warned.

So there's two sides to the idea of ad blocking our memory - the humorous punchline to that post as intended and also the serious side.

Would you install an ad blocker on your consciousness? If so, what would it do to your memories?

And if we did get cyberbrains that could contain our actual consciousness, the ghost in the shell, what would stop entropic cheese-related failures?

Fwiw, the first story I recall about a person uploading their consciousness to a machine was Philip K. Dick's Mr. Spaceship from 1953. Available in the public domain. All of his is good stuff. :)

PS - fixed your link Stinkman :)

Thank you for fixing my link Rasta! :)

Why can't there be more peoplez like me and youz BigGlassesMon? :D

Hmmm... I wonder if we will ever invent a teleporter?

hmmmm... that is a very interesting one.

Remember all of you that may be some what skeptical / negative and might say "you stupido pie in the sky roach! Get your head out of the clouds! :mad:"

Remember that if one of my all time favs "Isaac Newton" if he had been an ultra super mega douche and said:

"I will never become the Great Grand Father of science... talk about gravity... mechanical engineering... and above all else... Trollin! :D"

(Kiddingz about the trolling part! Sorry! Couldn't help me-self! :D)

Then I sometimes wonder how much stuffs we would have around us today!

Maybe without him there would be no electric stove for me to melt my Sugar (C6H12O6 - Wow I can't believe I remembered that!!!) and Saltpeter together to make a really freaking big ugly smoke bomb that I would set off (ignite! :D:D:D) in the road and then angry people would give me the finger!

Without him I more than likely wouldn't have had the great opportunity to harass innocent people!

(Wow looking back that wasn't very smart! :()

So never say never! ;)

And if you do!

You turn into THIS guy right here!

Upvote 0
I have had the same personal opinion.

some day.. within a few 100 yrs or 2.. we could create a "real" world inside a powerful computer. with "beings" that think they are real and alive. the person that controls that computer would be a "god" to that computer world.

This has actually already been done. For now its used as an experiment for the big bang. What happens is that the whole universe is created with a super computer. The universe lasts around 3 months before its deleted. It's used to see what other forms could have been made and such. Therefor in theory, we were made in the application, my bet is that if they left it running too long, they would go to the moon! Lol

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
This has actually already been done. For now its used as an experiment for the big bang. What happens is that the whole universe is created with a super computer. The universe lasts around 3 months before its deleted. It's used to see what other forms could have been made and such. Therefor in theory, we were made in the application, my bet is that if they left it running too long, they would go to the moon! Lol

Interesting!

Not at all the same, but the simulation crossover reminded me of Wolf 359, an original Outer Limits episode.

Available on Hulu, I recommend it for sci-fi fans. :)

Upvote 0
I did see some tv program that I do not remember all details but some parts of it that is similar to this.. When people die (those that have a "little" extra money and have opted for this) they take the brain and slice it very thin and cut it up into smaller pieces after that. After that process they are then able to record all the info onto a hard drive, and something was said about they would eventually be able to bring the person back to life inside a computer i don't remember everything they were saying about it thought.

Another interesting thing i saw on the same show was that experts estimate that in two days time we create more data then from the beginning of time up until 2003, with the recent growth of social medias

Upvote 0
I did see some tv program that I do not remember all details but some parts of it that is similar to this.. When people die (those that have a "little" extra money and have opted for this) they take the brain and slice it very thin and cut it up into smaller pieces after that. After that process they are then able to record all the info onto a hard drive, and something was said about they would eventually be able to bring the person back to life inside a computer i don't remember everything they were saying about it thought.

I don't think ..I can buy that BS. don't sound right.
too many silly assumptions for that to even come close to working.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones