• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root In Need of Advice

rsopko88

Lurker
Oct 7, 2011
Hi all,

This is my first time posting and first time rooting a phone. I have a couple questions that I hope to get help with. Let me start with info about my phone first. I have a droid X and am running Android version 2.3.3. All I have done so far is rooted it. I have Droid X Bootstrap and ClockworkMod Rom Manager.

1. I can't restart my phone into recovery mode using the Bootstrap. Not even manually by holding home then pressing the search button. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Android version 2.3.3 is running GingerBread, right?

3. I've tried deodexing but it doesn't work everytime, know a good tutorial?

Thanks for you time!

Welcome to Android Forums rsopko88, good job on posting in the right forum

now to answer your questions

1. Droid X Bootstrapper works with 2.3.3 GB all you need to do is make sure usb debugging is unchecked: Menu, Settings, Applications, Development, and uncheck usb debugging
or you can google d2 bootstrapper
Google

the reason your phone doesnt start in recovery is because your usb debugging was checked, or you need to hit bootstrap recovery (to install it)
and then reboot recovery

to get into stock recovery is not home+ search

its power+home, release power when the phone turns on but hold home, then once you see the exclamation mark hit both vol up and vol down rockers, then your in stock recovery

2.3.3 is not an easy way for us to know, you need to get the system version
4.5.602, or 4.5.605, or 2.3.340

deodexing works after your recovery is working

Reactions: rsopko88
Upvote 0
the reason your phone doesnt start in recovery is because your usb debugging was checked, or you need to hit bootstrap recovery (to install it)
and then reboot recovery

That was it! I turned off the usb debugging and ran the bootstrap recovery and it worked like a charm. I don't even know how long I spent trying to get this to work and it was something that simple. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I am running system version 4.5.605, now it makes sense. Its hard to read and understand all the tech terms without knowing what they're referring to. So I have the .605, duh. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones