In the market for an Android phone, suggestions?

Last Updated:

1. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Member This Topic's Starter

As a business owner, I depend on my Blackberry Bold for e-mail, BB Messenger and etc. While I love my BB Bold, my personal phone (Blackberry 8330) has been due for an upgrade for over two years now.

When I heard about the HTC Evo 4G on Sprint, it was the first time I thought about switching to a touch-only phone. But as I continued my research on the phone, some things stuck out. Battery life, CPU and the rumors of better android phones coming to the market.

I've poured through countless comments and reviews about the battery life on the Evo and I'm not sure I want a phone that will barely make it through the day. As a BB power user, I'm using both of my BB phones throughout the day and a full charge normally lasts me about 2 days.

I have read some reviews about the Snapdragon (GPU) in the EVO and how it isn't quite as powerful as the commercials make it out to be. Plus the rumors of duo-core processors in future android phones has me intrigued.

Speaking of future android phones, should I get a current android or wait a couple more months for better phones? I'm open to any carrier since my contract with Sprint ended about three years ago and I'm month to month.

I'm looking for a phone that is powerful, will be great for gingerbread (with gaming) and can last at least a day with medium use. I won't take many videos/photos, but I would like to have the choice. I will use the phone for e-mail and tethering.

I thank you in advance,

Frank

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Are you specifically looking for an Android phone on the Sprint CDMA network?

A common rumor is that newer dual core phones will his CES near year. Release to the general public will likely take place several months later.

3. Dreamwriter

I prefer Sprint over the other carriers. AT&T isn't all that great where I live in Connecticut and Verizon is better than Sprint, but very expensive. I never tried T-Mobile, but according to some friends of mine, they have improved in quality.

I'm willing to go to either Verizon or T-Mobile if a great android phone merits the switch. Unlike some of my friends, I won't be switching to another phone every time a new one is release. What's important to me is the quality of the phone that can last a few years for my needs.

I do not mind waiting another several months before I upgrade, especially since I've waited this long...haha. If a phone can come out with most of the pluses of the HTC EVO with a qwerty keyboard, I would switch.

Edit Note: Another thing I like about Sprint is my discount. Due to my business, I get 25% off my personal phone's bill. I'm not sure if any carrier will give me something similar.

4. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

I think I will make the following my comment so I do not have to rewrite it every time everyone asks a similar question: best phone out now is the Evo hands down. The reason the battery is not like the blackberry is because this phone has a lot more functions than the brick looking BB more functions = more power drain. To solve that you need an extended battery or an extra one and done.

5. Dreamwriter

Hello alextop30,

First of all, thank you for your opinions. The battery life isn't what is truly keeping me from getting the HTC EVO, but the potential of HTC releasing a predecessor to it within the next several months.

Going through the rumor mill, the only HTC phone I see possibly coming down the road for Sprint is the HTC Knight, essentially a scaled-down Evo with a keyboard.

I guess I'll wait until CES to see what HTC and others will show, then I'll make my final decision.

6. Dreamwriter

I caved in and purchased the EVO without a new contract extension. This way I can get my first Android phone out of the way and still be able to get one of the newer phones next year.

Got it on eBay for $350, although I almost got the Epic for $330, but the talk of bad GPS locations scared me off. The company that I purchased it from has a 30 day return policy, so if I don't like it or HTC releases a new phone within that time period, I can always return it.