Inbound TCP/IP connections?

Last Updated:

1. tliebeck

tliebeck VIP Member VIP Member This Topic's Starter

It seems that some providers allow inbound TCP/IP connections to phones, while others do not. My own Verizon Droid seems to have no issues here.

I'm seeing complaints with WebSharing/WebSharing Lite with T-Mobile users who claim they're unable to use the cellular sharing feature. It also seems to possibly be at a more fine-grained level than just the provider. E.g., some regions allow it, while others do not.

Would greatly appreciate anyone on T-Mobile letting me know if they are able to receive inbound connections. You can download WebSharing Lite, turn off Wi-Fi, and then start WebSharing to determine this empirically.

Advertisement
  2. tliebeck

Ran by Sprint and T-Mobile stores and tried this out myself.

So far I'm seeing that Verizon and Sprint allow incoming connections, T-Mobile does not.

3. tliebeck

A bit more information for anyone who might care..... Verizon does seem to block inbound connections in some areas.

So far I've seen Verizon block access in Georgia, Pennsylvania, and New York. Whereas in Southern California, it is not blocked

I've also seen one report of a T-Mobile user NOT being blocked.

I've left the feature in WebSharing, but it's now off by default, and there's a warning when the user chooses to enable it.

4. ihf

ihf Member

Verizon appears to block inbound connections in NJ as well. I presume this is all inblund connections and that changing the TCP port in Websharing will not help?