60.0%
  2. Not Me

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of posts that are posted in the main Inc forum are for technical/troubleshooting of some sort. Or basically questions that need answers.

So wouldn't it make sense to have the main forum actually be the troubleshooting forum...and have the sub forum be "happy Inc thoughts...by Jack Handy"?....you get the point.

That's probably a lot easier on mods than constantly moving stuff...or labeling threads "moved"

Advertisement
  2. airjordan223

airjordan223 Well-Known Member

I agree. Also if you post in the support/troubleshooting section, it takes forever to get a single reply. Post it here, and you have answers within a minute.

3. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

While I do like the idea of the main page being the Support and Troubleshooting page; as that tends to be what new users are looking for ( and they are the least likely to bother with sub-forums )...but I know it wouldn't make mods lives any easier really. They will then just have to move out all of the "general" topics. Same thing, different name:)

4. serpentine009

I counted on the first 3 pages about 4 threads that truly don't fit into at least 1 of the subs. A lot less work on mods.

Maybe we should vote.

5. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Well remember, the main thread can only be one of the subs, not all of them. Support and Troubleshooting is probably the best.

Also, due to the recent release of 2.2, the forums are naturally filled with support questions atm, but these will slow back down considerably over the next few weeks.

Still, as I mentioned: I'm for it:) I just vote for more in regards to the users than the mods.

6. serpentine009

Good point on the influx of more technical questions due to 2.2. Agreed that troubleshoot is by far and away the biggest type of post. Even the ones who are just ranting...are actually troubleshooting...they just don't know it. Then someone offers a tip and problem solved.

7. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

While I do not wholly disagree, I am also not the deciding entity. There are clearly two sides to this discussion and for now, in lieu of wholesale changes to the structure of AF, I think if all of us (myself included) searched a little more logically prior to posting, things might be cleaner as well.

To be honest, most forums have rules about searching first prior to posting new questions and readily encourage their members to police themselves while stressing search...AF does not have such requirements and while it may lead to more repetition, I think it also makes this a much friendlier place to visit.

Again, I see both sides of this but for now and while I do not think it is necessarily in line with human nature when you need help and are stuck to search, there are (as you pointed out) clearly marked Sub Forums at the top of the page.

This is just my views though guys and people much higher up the food chain would need to address this more specifically. :D

8. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member

It should work like this. General forum houses everything related to Dinc. As the topics move off the first couple of pages and there is really less opportunity to reply, they get moved to their respective homes for archives.

Here is why I think this is a good idea:

Since the sub forums get less attention, the general forum is used to gather steam and insight discussion. As the discussion dies down, the post gets archived. That way, when you look at the troubleshooting forum, there is a better chance that the topic that was first posted in the general forum got replies and was properly vetted by the AF community.

Same thing with a related accessory. General forum will have many people reviewing, and again making discussion. Once the discussion appears to be over (as it moves on to page 2-3 ect, the product has a sound review, sound opinion, has links to the cheapest website. Then you have a decent post that can be archived for general review in the accessories forum.

This just makes more sense, and requires less management as the forums will manage themselves. Mods at this point can focus on creating great sub forums reference rather than an unpopular sub forum that no one looks at because there is no helpful information.

Move it to early, and you create useless forum post that rarely get answered.

Move it to late, no harm no foul, no one gets upset because the AF community has reviewed commented and posted on what was once a hot topic.

This is the best way to manage a place like this. I think I speak for many that have become very frustrated. It's really not the mods fault, or upper management or posters. It's just the current process needs to be updated to fit a more organic structure.

Just my 2cents. Hope you enjoyed. Don't flame it's bad for the community.

9. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

This would seem to be a major organizational move. If you do it here you have to do it everywhere.

Dinc forum's 2.2 support questions will be short lived. I don't see them lasting longer than a month or so, at which time the Dinc forum should quiet down again, as it did in Juneish through Augustish. When that happens we are stuck with the main forum being for support, which would be bass ackwards when things slow down.

That's just my unofficial .02. If you want to suggest it, feel free to do it here: Suggestion Box & Feedback - Android Forums

10. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

If users would post in the correct subforum to begin with, mods would not have to deal with moving threads. In addition, if users utilize the search button (unless the word they're searching for is 3 or less letters), then again, the mods would not have to deal with moving threads. In essence, you are basically giving reward to laziness and the lack of reading. If users would do both (which we do not enforce to keep things free flowing), and also take the time to read (very important on a forum), then mods would not have to move threads, and you'd have alot less people complaining. Its really that simple. Unfortunately, this has not yet to be accomplished.

The structure of this forum is not something that can be decided by member vote. This is the way that the owner of the site and the admins have chosen and will stay that way until decided otherwise.

NightAngel79, howarmat and jayjay1122 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.