Inc vs Nexus, do updates worry you?General

Last Updated:

1. 46alpha

46alpha Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm all but sold on pre ordering the Inc on Monday. But after just a little bit of lurking in the Eris forums, I can't help but wonder about the possibility of updates (or the lack of) coming from HTC.

I played this game for a solid year with Verizon and my BB Storm. Waiting for updates, using other carriers leaked OS....a total PITA. Not something I want to have to deal with again.

Is anyone else worried that updates might be slow in coming for the Inc?

Not trying to start a flame war with the whole Nexus vs Inc thing, just hoping to get some opinions from others more knowledgeable than I.

TIA:)

Advertisement
  2. Piercing Heavens

Piercing Heavens Well-Known Member

I won't worry about updates. When people talk about unlocking things in the phones they are always talking about having to root (hack) your phone first.

My blackberry storm 1 had updates all the time. Granted none of them were official but when the official updates did come out they were worse than custom versions from leaks and builds. Updating them manually was never hassle for me.

But you have to also look at the fact that 2.1 OS is very polished compared to anything that was ever on a storm.

3. Sodequis

Sodequis Well-Known Member

Understand that carriers are the biggest bottle neck for the rate that updates are released and every phone out there goes through one. Including the nexus one. To make a decision to buy a phone on that alone is silly cause you're trying to guess the future and ultimately the incredible and nexus are both going to be htc made phone's using google software on vzw... I don't see the google branding on the one some how making verizon quicker at pushing the updates.

Figure that RIM had 5.0 software for many of their phones well before the carriers finally approved for them to be pushed to their corresponding phone...

4. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member

I am right there with you. My plan is to wait till the last minute to order mine. Maybe the 27th or 28th. I am hoping I will hear something with the nexus. There was a rumor that it will have something the other phone do not perhaps it something stupid but it could be something big like froyo. Although I doubt that as I have a feeling they will hold of till mid May when Google I/O kicks off. Who knows maybe that is when Nexus one will be released with Verizon.

Bill

5. XxICEMAN720xX

XxICEMAN720xX Well-Known Member

Im getting the incredible no matter what. The VZW added crap is going to suck- but it will be great for the average customer. If there is a major bug I'm dure it will be fixed by an update- however us techs will come up with custom stuff and if there is something that pisses me off about the stock version I'll just Root it and get some custom firmware.

You can't expect incredible to be Jesus, because htc is still human, just know that the grass is not greener on other side - apple=Satan

as far as nexus vs increible, I really am not impressed with the nexus and I don't think updates can make me change my mind.

6. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

No, not really. Hardware Issues > Software Updates... but we don't know if the Droid Incredible has similar hardware issues as the Nexus One--I hope not because I need a phone soon.

7. XDaydreamerX11

XDaydreamerX11 Well-Known Member

The only worry I *personally* have is if those touch buttons on the bottom are as difficult to trigger as the N1 touch sensitive buttons. (Menu, back etc) THAT is a big concern for me.

8. procrastination

procrastination Member

What do we know about the multi-touch with the Incredible? I saw a video that shows the N1 has a serious flaw with its touch screen when using multi touch. Will this be an issue with the incredible too?

9. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

^ no.

Also, google has already announced they are changing the way they update soon (applications etc over one big update). Google does not want android phones on different versions and is trying to prevent that.

10. ccoager

ccoager Well-Known Member

Not too worried considering Froyo and Gingerbread are moving apps out of the OS and into the market.

11. QrafTee

I don't think we really know. Unlike the Nexus One, we don't know what touch screen sensor is being used with the Droid Incredible.

12. storm14k

storm14k Well-Known Member

As far as the touchscreen problems and touch button problems I started looking at Desire videos for answers. I'm just assuming there were some lessons learned on HTCs part. The Desire looked to work well for multitouch....unfortunately no touch buttons to look at.

13. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member

No, there have been Incredibles already tested and do not have this problem. The N1 didn't come with multi-touch so the hardware wasn't tested for it before launch. They made sure the Incredible worked fine.

14. QrafTee

Well hopefully they learned from the Google Nexus One AND HTC Desire because: YouTube - HTC Desire - Multitouch Problems

It's as if the phone is possessed. Curse your Clearpad2000 and HTC's insistent use of this POS part!

15. Piercing Heavens

Piercing Heavens Well-Known Member

What issue could arise from this? Multitouch is a gimmick and has no real practical use. At least none I have seen so far.

16. QrafTee

I like games, so I believe it does have a use and is not a gimmick.