• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incipio Case lowering WiFi signal.

MikeS1971

Lurker
Jul 3, 2015
Anyone else have the Incipio two piece case and notice a lower WiFi signal? I purchased my G4 last week along with the Incipio case and quickly noticed that it took a while to download and the phone was always hot.

Today I decided to run a speed test using the G4 and my previous phone, a Note 2. The Note 2 was noticeably faster. I don't know what made me decide to remove the case on the G4, but I did and ran the test again. Download speeds jumped up considerably. Also in the images below, take note of the WiFi signal strength. Both times the test was taken with the phone within one foot of my wireless router.

With the case on:

Speed%20Test%202.jpg

With the case off:

Speed%20Test%201.jpg

Try turning DATA off and doing the wifi speed test again. When I run a speed test, if I do data wifi off, if I do wifi data is off.

Just gave it a try. With Mobile Data off, each test, with and with out the case was slightly slower.

I also noticed another odd issue with GPS. I run a tracking app for when I walk/run. With the case on, the GPS gets out of whack and doesn't track my route correctly, with it off, it follows my route exactly.

I had a Diztronic case for my Note 2 and never had issues, I just placed an order for one for my G4. I'm also returning the Incipio tomorrow as soon as the mall opens and I can go to the Verizon store. And apparently my son is having similar issues with his S5 and his Incipio case. So his is getting returned as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones