• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incoming calls - can't disable voice announcer

Jammet

Lurker
Feb 17, 2012
I've got a strange problem -- sometimes, but not everytime - when I receive a call (depends on ther person and number they're using) the call is being announced with voice output, as the phone rings.

When I accept the call, that voice keeps speaking, right INTO the start of the conversation. And the other party can hear it talking.

This just happened:

Phone rings for 2 seconds.
3rd second, I accept the call, seeing it's my buddy on the line.
4th second, I just want to say hello, but I am interrupted with this thing screaming in my ear "INCOMING CALL FROM ...".

How do I turn this damn thing off? Once and for all? Driving mode is disabled. I triple checked.
Please help me! :)

Hi. I had this problem and couldn't work out who was talking to me for a while :D

Anyway I had been using my phone in a car dock and this changes the settings slightly. I found the one in Settings > Voice input and output > Text-to-speech settings. Driving mode was checked, turned it off and no more voice.

Hope this works for you.

Reactions: Jammet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones