• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

incoming SMS when screen locked

fusion1296

Lurker
Apr 24, 2010
hi all , i am hoping to get a deisre very soon and hope that someone can answer a question for me ? if i set the phone to need the unlock pattern when the screen reactivates , if the screen is off and i get an incoming SMS when i turn the screen on can i read the SMS or do in need to do the unlock pattern 1st ? its important to me for security that the SMS cant be read without using the unlock pattern is this how it works ? thanks

hi all , thanks for your quick replies , this is good news for me that the SMS messages cant be read without the unlock pattern , i had read in another forum that you get a preview of the message in the notification bar ? as long as this doesnt happen then i am happy . thanks
Just checked on Handcent and, if you're using it, you'll want to check the box that says "Privacy mode" under Notification Settings - the preview is on by default. And, if I remember correctly (plus I can't find a setting for it), the default messaging program doesn't preview :)

Upvote 0
all kinds of settings are thr in handcent. its a cool app.
one other thing you could do is turn off the the 'screen on' box on sms receive notification option. thr wont be any preview . just a sound on sms receive.
one thing i dint like tht much is that the sms receive notification and if the reminder service also, is set on, thn both will play the same sound. its not a big issue but different sounds for current incoming sms and a missed sms would have been nicer. so i have reverted to 'missed reminder' app for just the missed sms's and calls notifications function.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones