incoming SMS when screen locked

Last Updated:

1. fusion1296

fusion1296 New Member This Topic's Starter

hi all , i am hoping to get a deisre very soon and hope that someone can answer a question for me ? if i set the phone to need the unlock pattern when the screen reactivates , if the screen is off and i get an incoming SMS when i turn the screen on can i read the SMS or do in need to do the unlock pattern 1st ? its important to me for security that the SMS cant be read without using the unlock pattern is this how it works ? thanks

Advertisement
  2. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

You will have to enter the unlock pattern before you can read any new messages or have access to the phone

3. corney91

corney91 Well-Known Member

Only way you wouldn't need to enter the unlock code is if, on Handcent (I don't know about the default program), you have the setting for a preview of the text appearing in the notification bar when it's received on so you'll be safe :)

4. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

Even with handcent, you will need to login in order to answer with the notification on.

5. fusion1296

fusion1296 New Member This Topic's Starter

hi all , thanks for your quick replies , this is good news for me that the SMS messages cant be read without the unlock pattern , i had read in another forum that you get a preview of the message in the notification bar ? as long as this doesnt happen then i am happy . thanks

6. corney91

corney91 Well-Known Member

Just checked on Handcent and, if you're using it, you'll want to check the box that says "Privacy mode" under Notification Settings - the preview is on by default. And, if I remember correctly (plus I can't find a setting for it), the default messaging program doesn't preview :)

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Yup, you can disable the popup and text in the notification bar in Handcent's settings.

This way screen will light up, but no one can see anything without the pattern lock.

8. 1981

1981 Well-Known Member

all kinds of settings are thr in handcent. its a cool app.
    one other thing you could do is turn off the the 'screen on' box on sms receive notification option. thr wont be any preview . just a sound on sms receive.
    one thing i dint like tht much is that the sms receive notification and if the reminder service also, is set on, thn both will play the same sound. its not a big issue but different sounds for current incoming sms and a missed sms would have been nicer. so i have reverted to 'missed reminder' app for just the missed sms's and calls notifications function.

9. webby62

webby62 Well-Known Member

hi i use chomp sms which shows most of the message,and a colour icon on the notification bar,also when u receive a message from individual people u can set a ringtone for each message,its very clever:D