Incomplete wakeup = bricked DroidSupport

Last Updated:

1. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday morning I updated 4 or 5 apps from the app store and since I had updated so many, I thought I would re-boot, just to reset everything.

I turned off my Droid and then I pressed on the on-off switch to turn it back on. I got the familiar Motorola symbol (looks like someone is calling Batman) but that is as far as I could get. The Droid never turned on again.

I called Verizon customer service and they walked me through a reset to factory specs (by pressing the on-off switch while holding down the x-key etc). This didn't fix the problem. I did battery pulls and ran through the factory reset a few times. I finally had to give up and I brought my baby back to a Verizon company store and exchanged it for a refurb. The refurb looks new and so far is behaving just fine. (Lots of work to get it set-up with all of my apps etc.)

I'm baffled as to what happened. What could cause this "incomplete wakeup," as Verizon called it? Was this a software problem (some sort of conflict between apps)? Was this a virus? Or a hardware issue? It seems that the factory reset should have taken care of any problems with boot-up.

Anybody have any thoughts as to what happened?

Thanks
    Steve

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Wow, that sucks. I know what a bummer it must have been. Sorry...

I sure would like to know what apps you installed yesterday. Although, I am almost 100% certain that was not the root cause of this issue. I'm thinking pure coincidence at this point. Hardware failures do occur. That's where I'd put my money on this one.

For future reference, use the search tool and learn how to backup your phone and save those files to your PC. If I had to replace my DROID today, I could have it back to "normal" in less than 30 minutes. 140+ apps, Contacts, shortcuts, messages, desktops, the whole nine yards.

3. Eurosteve

Joe- Thanks for the support and advice.

So you're thinking that being stuck at the Motorola symbol might be a hardware failure?

Any backup program you recommend? Steve

4. discohornet

discohornet Well-Known Member

140 apps? Wow, I cant even find TEN that don't cause unwanted quirks with my droid. Mind starting a new thread and listing these apps?

To the OP that really sucks. Sucks even more that your replacement has to be a refurbished version. Is that just part of the verizon insurance? I got insurance through my renter's insurance so if something like that happened I would just get the replacement cost, 550 and could do whatever I chose with it, including buy a different phone all together which is probably what I would do.

5. Eurosteve

I'm after the 30 day replacement period and into the one year manufacturer's warranty period. So that's what Verizon does during the warranty, it gives you a refurb. I have the Verizon insurance in case I lose or break the phone, and that little gem would cost me an $89 deductible to use. I'm thinking that the phone has only been out around for 2 months, so how used could the replacement be? Anyway, it does look and feel new...

6. Eurosteve

Anybody have any idea what might have caused this incomplete wakeup problem?

7. Eurosteve

Anybody know if "incomplete wakeup" is a software or a hardware problem?

8. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

on my brand new replacement my phone hung today on the droid eye screen for about 2 mins and then shut off. i had turn it back on 4 times before it actually went past the screen. im worrried it maybe something bigger of a problem thats going to come up later down the road.

9. Eurosteve

Sounds similar to the problem I had, in terms of the Droid having trouble with the boot up sequence. Although you seemed to get further along and eventually you successfully started up.

Anyone know what is going on behind the scenes during these various phases of booting up? At what point is it hardware and what point is it software loading?

10. shaggyone

shaggyone New Member

Mine did the same thing last night, just got stuck on the Motorola symbol

11. InFamousD

InFamousD New Member

I am have the same problem and I have a back up on my sd....every hour or so, my driod will boot go to recovery, but doesnt find the sdcard....I wont let me manually or auto detect mounting either. To top it off, my driver to recognize it clicks on and off. SPreovery doesn't even see the phone either...

Any ideas?

12. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

No offense, but their phones would not boot back up at all, getting stuck at the Motorola Logo, whereas yours will not find the SDCard on reboot - but reboots into the OS just fine. Unless I am misreading your post.

Also, what do you mean you have a backup on the SDCard? Of your ROM? Your apps?

I think you meant to respond to http://androidforums.com/droid-support-troubleshooting/160717-droid-sd-card-help.html instead - but I just responded to that thread as well, so read through my suggestion and see if it helps....

13. aem19

aem19 New Member

I have the droid x. My battery died a couple of days ago, partially recharged it with my car charger, worked fine but died again, charged it with regular wall charger, then it would not turn on again. I took it to VZW store who said it was an "incomplete wake up" and it's caused by charging the phone while it's on, and using the phone while it's being charged.

Total BS if you ask me. I have always charged phones while they are on and I've never heard that it should be off when charging. There's nothing in the owners manual either.

Can't wait to get my refurbished phone after using this thing for two months and spending the time getting my apps back.

14. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Ummm, not sure about the Droid X, since this is the Motorola DROID forum, but with the DROIDs, if you try to charge the DROID when it is powered off, it turns the DROID on. Thus, I call BS on the part of the VZW employee's answer.

You might try posting in the DROID X forums to verify this - Motorola may have changed that aspect of charging from the DROID to the DROID X. However, IIRC, the DROID X exhibits similar behavior, though I may certainly be wrong.

15. veggiekid92

veggiekid92 New Member

I had the same problem today with a motorola devour. My phone died, so i plug it in and try turning it on. 20 minutes later its still at the loading screen. I take out the battery and try again, and nothing. I'm due for an upgrade in about a month so my dad calls customer service to try to get it early. They say that the store manager has to approve it. We go to the store and the manager says he hasnt had that power in over a year. we call again and they said the only option we had was to add insurance to the line and immediatly file a claim. So the insurance is added and we were redirected to the insurance department. They say that they can do anything because the phone was broken before we added the insurance. So we call yet AGAIN, and speak with a manager. Needless to say, i got my upgrade a month early and $40 credited to my account.