• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Inconsistent GPS?

gogogut

Dec 30, 2010
I have had my Evo V for about a month and have experienced inconsistent GPS. Wondering if this is normal, something commonly reported, or unique and therefore a reason to return/exchange.
Symptoms:
I jump in my car to drive to work/home, turn on GPS, open Google Maps/Waze navigation, and GPS tells me I am a few blocks away, sometimes turning in different directions. As I drive a known route, it continuously tells me to reroute since it think I am on a different, sometimes parallel road.
When I have called into Virgin to complain about this (and the SMS issues), they have reset my phone and upgraded the Profile. Then everything works fine for several days until the problem returns.
I have now called into Virgin 3-4 times about these problems, and have missed my 30-day return window. Last night, Virgin did a factory reset of my phone, so I am now pretty bare bones. The SMS problems returned first thing this morning and I have not tried the GPS yet.
Questions:
If the GPS issue returns again, should I push for a replacement? Will a replacement most likely have the exact same problems with GPS and SMS? I know I can root for the SMS radio issue, but the GPS problem concerns me.
Thanks in advance.
RJ

I have had trouble with the SMS errors. They don't happen all the time, but certain times of day, and in certain places; My schools campus has 2 locations and I get the error most of the time at one and not at the other.

My problem with the GPS wasn't with the GPS itself but with Google Maps. I was in Washington DC a few weeks ago and I was using Google Maps to give me an idea of which way to go, and it was sending me all over the place. It would lock on my exact position (within about 20 feet) but the route it would send me on was just wonky.

If you travel the same route every day, or around the same area I don't see the need to use GPS.

Upvote 0
My purpose of using the GPS on the same route was to test it. I wanted to see why and when it was wonky. Also, I use Google Navigation to tell me about traffic and alternate routes. So even though I am very familiar with my area and won't get lost, I use the GPS to avoid traffic and save some time.
I hope other people are able to share to determine if this is a common problem or something unique to me. If I continue to hound Virgin, hopefully they will replace mine. But what is the point if it will happen all over again with the new one. That is why I want to hear from other users and experts.

Upvote 0
I have had my Evo V for about a month and have experienced inconsistent GPS. Wondering if this is normal, something commonly reported, or unique and therefore a reason to return/exchange.
Symptoms:
I jump in my car to drive to work/home, turn on GPS, open Google Maps/Waze navigation, and GPS tells me I am a few blocks away, sometimes turning in different directions. As I drive a known route, it continuously tells me to reroute since it think I am on a different, sometimes parallel road.
RJ

This sounds similiar to an issue I had with the gps/google nav when I first got the phone
it was weird to say the least, it would have me going say south on a main drag, then have me turn off the main street for example make a left, then a right , another right and then a left right back onto the main street i was on going in same direction,
I rebooted phone etc, clear the destination and entered again etc and got same results,
Also had me travel north tell me make a u turn, I would now be going south, travel a block or so and it would tell me to make a u turn and travel north again.....it was weird
It was like 2 sets of directions fighting each other,1 set of directions would be right and would be in the written list of direction
But it would then have me doing all these round about routes only to get me back where I was anyway

I dont use nav much at all , but I just made sure I checked for updates and it was missing 1 or 2, and forgot about it, I just used it yesterday and it worked fine,
IDK that this info actually helped you , just thought Id tell you my experience ,
sorry I couldnt help
good luck

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link. I was instantly overwhelmed by the information, but it is good to know it is there.
If Virgin does not replace my phone, I plan on rooting to solve a bunch of the problems. I would include this patch for GPS. Thanks!

It does look overwhelming but just download and place the google v.3.1 on your sd card and flash in recovery, good to go (sorry just saw that you still need root, just dive in theres alot of support here and you'll be glad you did...however VM might very well replace it)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones