increase battery life by rooting?

Last Updated:

1. flipboi2damax

flipboi2damax Member This Topic's Starter

I am a complete noob at this stuff and was planning on using my samsung moment with stock android 2.1 but..........the battery life sucks. I'll be lucky if i get through a day with only two phone calls and a couple of texts. I was reading on these forums about how rooting can increase battery life on the moment, but how? can someone explain to me how? Oh and if i wanted to root my moment, would this be the easiest way? http://sdx-downloads.com/custom/

Advertisement
  2. edp

edp Well-Known Member

i'm no expert at this either, but i have done some messing around with my phone. when you root, you can take off all the apps that sprint loaded on ur phone that you can't remove without root, such as nascar, sprint tv, sprint nav, bejewled demo, etc. alll that bloatware can bog down ur phone.

there are several vids that show you how to root but i found this to be the most helpful one:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-mo...t-2-1-rooting-video-walkthrough-tutorial.html

i know you said you have 2.1 but a reflash can't hurt. this vid will also show you how to put on one of joey's recoveries which is really nice because you can go into recovery and flash things directly from there, such as custom roms, custom themes, etc. and you can also back up ur system/data, which comes in handy if you messed around with ur phone and something goes wrong. you can always just reapply the backup and have ur phone back to where it was.

and if you use the sdx kitchen (that link you put up), adding one of the custom kernals (i really like littlejth's kernal) puts on numus' battery code, which is much better and more accurate than the one on ur phone right now.

some things you can try without rooting is, do a factory reset, which will wiipe ur data, but most of the time is worth it. and try using a task killer. some ppl swear it does nothing, but i swear it helps. i used advanced task killer, and whenever i open it to kill running apps, i also kill the app itself, and it seems to give me really good battery life. also dl spare parts, which allows you to see the battery percentage, as well as check up on what is using the most power off your battery. and if you go through the battery thread, there are tons of tips. hoep that helps

3. dntesinfrno

dntesinfrno Well-Known Member

The main reason i rooted my moment was to extend the horrid battery life. Using Battery Left Widget from the market my normal use life expectancy has increased from around 6 hours to 18 and counting (re-calibrating still after removing unnecessary stock apps). Once you get rooted and one of custom kernels, i like joey's or littlejh's, and a recovery rom removing the un-needed bloat will greatly improve the battery life. This is the best guide i've found on the subject... Ultimate Guide to Removing Apk's and Odex's and Replacement Application Options .....and dont forget to use the recovery backup feature. happy rooting :D

4. Jaws4God

Jaws4God New Member

Yeah i'm starting to notice the battery life goes down pretty quickly.. I do have one of those Task Eliminator apps.. and that seems to help... but since the phone is still new i'm def messing with it a lot so might contribute to my battery.. LOL

if anyone knows any good tricks let me know! :)

5. Radical-J

Radical-J Well-Known Member

Okay first things first.

Menu>Settings>Location & Security turn off wireless networks... this uses cell towers to triangulate your position for map apps which sucks battery life--just use gps--when you need gps-- you don't need this and guaranteed it is left on...

Long press on home screen select widgets add power control turn off gps if it is on

look at you mail settings how often are you syncing your email? All that sucks battery life.

Only turn on GPS when you need it, bluetooth, wi-fi etc

try and use usb cable to charge (yes this will take longer and is controversial as to the specific results--but it won't hurt)...

What widgets do you have that are going online and requesting info...turn them off...

Check out SDX there are people that get incredible battery life and you don't have to be rooted...