• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help increase battery life

kofman13

Mar 7, 2011
hi im new to android. ive been on iphone for 4 years and got very used to iOS and i knew how to tweak the OS pretty well to get the most out of my battery.
i got an LG optimus V yesterday and the battery is okay but not as good as the iphone 3gs... i kinda expected that though.
anyone give me some tips to max my battery life? i wanna be your android student!
so far i have brightness down to minimum, and gps off..
what else?

For me turning off Facebook sync made a big difference. I do sync my gmail account because that's my calendar, main contacts and mail. I have auto-sync for my apps off too, though you may want that on, see if it makes any difference for you.

I had a Droid Incredible before this and I am much happier with the battery life on my Optimus. I haven't bothered to install a task killer on this phone, and I am not sure if they don't actually make the situation worse...task killers shut down tasks that just restart themselves, using perhaps more power to do so.

Upvote 0
Turn 3G, Sync, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth off, unless you use them.

The biggest battery drain comes from leaving 3G data on when you don't use it.

Application killers are not necessary in Android, my battery stays the same on standby (with the above mentioned suspects turned off) no matter what applications I had used before that.

Read the end of this thread http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/270848-excessive-battery-drain-even-standby-2.html

Upvote 0

Application killers are not necessary in Android, my battery stays the same on standby (with the above mentioned suspects turned off) no matter what applications I had used before that.

Read the end of this thread http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-v/270848-excessive-battery-drain-even-standby-2.html

That pretty much about sums it up. I usually leave 3g off unless I need it, with the app called quick settings (combined with quick battery, which I use as a homepage shortcut to quick settings)

Upvote 0

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. Turn 3G, Sync, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth off, unless you use them. Application killers are not necessary in Android, my battery stays the same on standby. and Brightness turned down to ~ 25%.
Mine's been on all day, and i've used only 10% of my battery.

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said. Turn 3G, Sync, Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth off, unless you use them. Application killers are not necessary in Android, my battery stays the same on standby. and Brightness turned down to ~ 25%.
Mine's been on all day, and i've used only 10% of my battery.

Thirded.

I do like to keep my 3G on all day (everything else mentioned off) and it does make a huge difference in battery life. I opted to buy add'l batteries and carry an extra w/ me. Two batteries easily gets me through the day despite hours of Pandroa streaming, 15-30 min. of surfing and some text, voice and MP3 playback as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones