Increased Battery LifeTips

Last Updated:

1. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Alright this is straight from the Droid X forum where nfriend21 posted this. I tried it out on my Droid 2 and noticed a huge improvement to battery life.

Here's a link to the original thread.

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-ti...ery-life-if-you-know-how-use.html#post1415857

Advertisement
    62nvon, spollock and BabyRN like this.
  2. RJT185

RJT185 VIP Member VIP Member

I don't think there's a "Smart" mode on the D2, I use the custom option opting for 15 minute data sleep regardless of the time. Here's what I found helps a lot too:

1) Drain the battery all the way until it shuts down and then recharge completely while the phone is turned off. (Do so a couple times.)
    2) Battery set to Maximum Battery Service
    3) Background Data Enable is "un-checked" it'll re-check itself for some apps, which then you can eaither leave on or turn back off.
    4) Screen brightness I have at 25% indoors, and automatic outdoors.

3. JDunc

JDunc Well-Known Member

Can you have a setting where your phone knows to go to auto brightness when your outside? I see you guys keep mentioning something about it.

4. RJT185

Most people just keep it on auto the entire time, I use the "Power Control" widget from the Android Widgets menu. Anytime I step outdoors I simply tap on it to switch from the low setting to Auto, and then back when I go indoors. For some it might be "too much work" but I think its worth the hassle.

5. kwick32

kwick32 New Member

I've noticed a definite improvment in my battery. One Problem, as a result of Unchecking the Background Date in Data Delivery, I no longer get email notifications. Emails don't even appear unless I go into my gmail and refresh it myself.
    Any ideas on how I can fix this problem? I like the better battery life, but I like getting notifications for my emails as well..

6. jradicle11

I just manually check my emails. I don't find it that much of a hassle.

7. hgaunt56

hgaunt56 Member

After using these settings and reducing my brightness to next to nothing (which is still plenty bright) as well as getting rid of my task killer I've increased my battery life from about 4 1/2 hours up to 10 hours and 20 minutes now (with 5% remaining). That average of 4 1/2 hours comes from at work when I just surf the web and market and watch a few YouTube videos. Today I've been running Pandora nonstop (on Wi-Fi) for the past 9 1/2 hours. I am more than pleased with this significant increase in battery! This might be the battery getting broken in as well since I only got it on Friday. If anyone else has any questions or can offer any other tips let me know!

PS: With the 4 1/2 hours my display usage was around 55% and that was with my turning the screen off for periods of time. Today I've had it set in Pandora so the screen doesn't turn off and it's at 57%! I still can't get over how well it did today!

8. jradicle11

I was getting similar battery life as well. I'm amazed at how well my battery does after these settings.

9. C011IN5

C011IN5 New Member

Im currently at 14h 16m since unplugged. I had horrible battery life but I did some battery conditioning and have gotten these results. I hope to get even better results with these settings in effect also.

10. jradicle11

I want to test it out with normal use for as long possible but I just can't risk my phone going out during school. What ever would I do to pass the time...

11. RJT185

I usually just refresh GMAIL manually once an hour, at work GMAIL and most GOOGLE services are blocked by our corporate firewell so the fact alone that now I have a way to get to my GMAIL is an incentive enough to just save battery and check my email when I do actually have the time to since I don't want to be the "young kid" in the office always on his phone.

12. New Guy

New Guy Member

After conditioning my battery for a few days, and setting my screen to time out after 30 seconds instead of a minute (My display was always 60-75% of the usage) I went from needing to charge after 6 hrs, to being at 30% after 13h 14m unplugged.

I left the brightness on auto, Battery is on nighttime saver, and didn't turn BG data off (I use the email too much for that)

I watched around 25 minutes of video (youtube and G4), had pandora running for around 4hrs (Both on wi-fi), sent and received about 200 texts, did several emails,navigated home from work (about 25min drive, and I just wanted to try it...)and spent 45 minutes on the phone.

My display is 34%, voice calls 12%, phone idle is 11%, wi-fi, maps, standby, and media server are all 10%, with A.S., com.moto.home, broswer and texting all <5% each.

I'm going to try the wifi sleep thing, just to see if that helps at all.

But all in all I'm really happy with the way it is turning out, I was ready to take it back the 2nd day I had it...

13. RJT185

Yeah, I gave up on turning off the Background Data. It's on now. My only qualm is the my favorite game is a MAJOR battery hog, moreso than the screen itself.

14. woodguy

woodguy New Member

I've done all the settings except for the background data one...can't manually refresh as I get time sensitive emails sent to me daily. Outside of that, I'm hoping this works. I've been getting about 8 hours on LIGHT use with almost no video, music, or web browsing. Concerned me but then again I probably wasn't conditioning the battery right since yesterday was the 1st time I let battery run down to 5% before plugging in.

15. jradicle11

Without disabling background data, I don't believe you'll be getting as good of battery life as me or some of the others. I should be significantly better, though.

16. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

I get about 24 hours with data left on. I have K9 mail set to update every 5 min and it dosent drain my battery too much. I havent been texting alot, but I get emails and check them constantly and I do watch some video.

17. westau

westau Member

Ok so I tried some of these and I didn't like that my gmail didn't push anymore so I turned the background data back on but my gmail still isn't pushing and I have to go on there and refresh it to get it to bring in emails. Anyone know how to fix this?

18. Lightnspirit

Lightnspirit Well-Known Member

I would powercycle the phone, power it off, remove battery, power it on, everything should re-sync and update.

19. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Running the battery all the way down on these types of batteries won't help, doesn't improve battery life...battery life will generally improve after a few cycles, but you don't need to run it down to out or almost out.

You can drain it all the way every few months to sync the battery level meter, but don't need to do it to "condition" the battery.

You'll get the longest life out of your battery overall if you don't run it down much past 30% or so on a regular basis.

dhbuckley and RJT185 like this.
  20. westau

westau Member

Tried that and it didn't work, any other ideas?

21. jradicle11

Go to your email the press the options button and mess with your email delivery settings.

22. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

tagged..

23. bobnn

bobnn Member

That's not what it says here under "Train Your Battery".

24. bobnn

bobnn Member

25. jradicle11

That changed with 2.2. Now you should change it to Maximum Battery Saver.