Increased Voltage Kernels?

Last Updated:

1. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After realizing I can back up e-mail settings and home screens, I updated to the latest Cyogen (just one step). Now I'm putting my kernel back on (Becket) and I noticed there were increased voltage kernels.

Just curious, what's the benefit of those?

I just installed 1.2 low voltage. Hope it runs well.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

For devices that can't run the higher frequencies at low(er) voltages.

3. jackburnt

jackburnt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ah, I see. Well, I understand there's a reason. Dunno too much about voltages and/or frequencies.

4. Penguissimo

Penguissimo Well-Known Member

Basically, if your phone is unstable at a certain overclocked speed on the low voltage kernel, you can fix it one of two ways: dialing the speed back down, or using a higher voltage kernel. The former will (obviously) result in less speed, while the latter can create more stability at higher speeds at the expense of increased battery usage (and heat production).

In other words, if everything is working fine with a lower voltage kernel, don't worry about it ;) You're in the best situation you can be.

5. nydrumboy

nydrumboy Well-Known Member

I was having some problems with low voltage kernels. I believe that what was happening is that the voltage could not support the ROM at low battery levels. My phone would keep FC and rebooting while in dock until it got enough juice to maintain.

At least that's the way is seemed to me.