• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible 2.1 --> 2.2

MrCary

Lurker
May 14, 2010
So quick question - I am looking at getting this phone. If I were to purchase it, the 2.2 is only a software update, correct? So I would get the 2.2 whenever it's released to "unlock" the other new features (Flash, Tethering, etc) - Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks!

Yes, when a compatible version is available you will be able to upgrade, though I'm sure people will port it to the Incredible themselves in no time once it's out for some other device.

How are they going to port 2.2 to a phone that has yet to have been rooted? And to answer the OP you are technically able to get 2.2 once its released but there is the danger of having to wait sometimes months for this to happen. The Eris just got its 2.1 an it was released in November with the Droid. There are rumors that Google will address fragmentation an that could start with froyo (2.2) but you will still have to wait for HTC and Verizon to release the update. I will bet that this will take some time. Just trying to give you the right info cause God knows you didn't get it from the other post.

Upvote 0
How are they going to port 2.2 to a phone that has yet to have been rooted? And to answer the OP you are technically able to get 2.2 once its released but there is the danger of having to wait sometimes months for this to happen. The Eris just got its 2.1 an it was released in November with the Droid. There are rumors that Google will address fragmentation an that could start with froyo (2.2) but you will still have to wait for HTC and Verizon to release the update. I will bet that this will take some time. Just trying to give you the right info cause God knows you didn't get it from the other post.

the droid shipped with 2.0, not 2.1. 2.1 was pushed to the droid back in the very beginning of April.

2.1 was first released on the Nexus 1 on Jan 5th.

Upvote 0

Wow, anger much? Nobody's porting an OS that's not even released, don't worry :D I was assuming the phone would be rooted before 2.2 is released, but I haven't checked on the progress recently. Calm down.

Upvote 0
Wow, anger much? Nobody's porting an OS that's not even released, don't worry :D I was assuming the phone would be rooted before 2.2 is released, but I haven't checked on the progress recently. Calm down.

Ditto - It blows my mind how some people have nothing better to do than obsess over future versions of a phone OS that don't yet exist. The Incredible is the fastest thing out there for the most part, so I wouldn't worry about it not getting the next few upgrades...

Upvote 0
First of all don't buy a phone thinking eventually it will do what you want. Thats the first mistake alot of eris owners were duped into by sales people and forum members.

Secondly don't think the timeline for the eris to recieve its 2.1 update is any indication of what will happen with future updates. The eris was going from 1.5 to 2.1, which is a huge leap and left alot of room for failure, which is why they needed 3 revisions before it was able to be pushed via OTA. Within a week of the final leak (v3) it was ready to go, had HTC been able to get all the kinks worked out earlier it would have rolled out earlier.

There was a huge difference between 1.5 and even 1.6, let alone 1.5 to 2.0 or even to 2.1. But now that they have 2.1 they can breath a sign of relief, in fact we all can. The jump to 2.2 shouldn't be nearly as turbulent.

Not to mention the fact that right now the incredible is HTC's flagship phone and even when the evo comes out they incredible will still be their flagship. Until something better comes out on the verizon network the incredible will continue to be their biggest seller, period. Now having said that the eris was not even close to being thier flagship, it was a hot seller but they were motivated to drag their feet by the impending release of the incredible.

They already had the eris's sold, the money was already in the bank, there was little motivation to get it updated and that will continue to dwindle as time goes on and its hardware becomes even more out dated.

Upvote 0
even still, it only took an extra month for the HTC phones to get the 2.1 update. the eris is getting it as we speak and the Hero will be getting it very shortly.

Yes and the hero is pretty much the same hardware as the eris, which further drives home my point that the phones on the verizon network are their highest priority vs phones on other smaller networks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones