Incredible 2 Battery Saving tips threadGeneral

1. nate.kelmes

nate.kelmes Well-Known Member

Okay. I'm starting my first full day with the Dinc2 on a fresh charge. Unplugged it this morning at 7:15 AM EST. I'll post updates on this thread throughout the day and let you know how the consumption is going. Just to set a baseline for this experiment, as everyone may have slightly different results than me...

-I'm using wifi throughout the day
    -I have my screen timeout set to 1min
    -Variable brightness
    -Bluetooth off (really... who keeps it on all day??)
    -GPS off
    -Auto-Sync on (gmail, facebook, backup assistant)

These are pretty conservative settings but this is usually how my day goes for me. This weekend i'll put it through more rigorous testing as i'm away from my desk where I get cushy wifi all day.

Stay tuned...

Advertisement
    :
    JennRN, omxmmn and Beatlesfan like this.
  2. Notluk

Notluk Well-Known Member

Thank goodness we have someone to test this. It's a deciding factor for me.

Northeast Ohio shout out.
  3. nate.kelmes

Mid-Morning update coming shortly! I was stuck in a product release meeting for over an hour this morning (ack!).
  4. nate.kelmes

First update!

As of 10:45am I am at 90% battery. I have been unplugged for 3 hours and 30 minutes. Here's the rundown of what is using the battery

Display - 53%
    Android System 22%
    Cell Standby - 8%
    Phone Idle - 7%
    Wi-Fi - 4%
    Android OS - 2%
    Gmail - 2%
    Market - 2%

Looking at the Android System details:

CPU total - 4m 59s
    CPU foreground - 32s
    Data sent - 75.72 KB
    Data received - 221.17 KB

I'm in the process of installing the Android SDK so I can get you guys some screen shots instead of me having to type this all out.

I'll post another update sometime in the noon-hour as i'll be out and about and using 3G.
    dinc2dinc likes this.
  5. nate.kelmes

Second Update!

Okay... Over my lunch break I decided to run some errands so I turned off my WiFi and went 3G and fired up Pandora. I had it running for almost a full hour and the decrease was minimal. I went from 90% down to 80%. I'm going by the battery gauge found in Settings>About Phone>Battery. I can't say for sure where the percentage remaining is but it's somewhere between 80 and 90%.

Here's how the battery use breaks down:

-Display 49%
    -Android System 19%
    -MediaServer 15%
    -Cell Standby 7%
    -Phone Idle 6%
    -Wi-Fi 2%
    -Android OS 2%

In my opinion I feel, so far, that this phone is just sipping the battery juice. I know that on my Dinc1 at this point Pandora would have taken a big bite out of my battery power.

Things are looking pretty good at this point...
  6. nate.kelmes

Here's some screen captures. Unfortunately I cannot tell the phone not to charge on USB so I made sure I kept the phone plugged in for only a few seconds while I captured the screen. I know it's not ideal... but I don't think it will affect the overall experiment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. nate.kelmes

Quick update... The battery has not moved! This is simply astounding to me. My Dinc1 would be down near 50% by now doing absolutely nothing all day. Dinc2 is still somewhere between 80 and 90%.

Dinc2 over at phonescoop shows that the standby time is over twice that of the Dinc1.

http://tinyurl.com/5s63vbm

More update action coming later tonight.
    Beatlesfan likes this.
  8. Lespaul20

Lespaul20 Well-Known Member

With minimal usage mine is at 80% after 10 hours of being unplugged. Pretty impressed so far.
  9. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

Did anyone bump charge?
    omxmmn likes this.
  10. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...my battery performance is not so stellar. But, I have TouchDown and when I had push enabled, I got a significant amount of exchange email today. I'm going to a similar test like this tomorrow.
  11. nate.kelmes

The more people we have doing these tests the better.
  12. nate.kelmes

omxmmn likes this.
  13. nate.kelmes

9pm... Still going strong. After work I went to the bar and fired up the 3G. Played some games, downloaded a couple apps, facebook, and posted on the best forum in the world using the Phandroid app (srsly awesome app).

I'm down a bit in the battery department but no where near I would have been with my Dinc1. Check the screen grabs below.

The battery is holding up very well!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. nate.kelmes

Last update for today. I better make this quick... my laptop is about to die. I can't, however, say the same for my Dinc2. I still have 40% battery left!
    I've spent the majority of my day on WiFi, which as I mentioned in the first post is a typical weekday for me. I'll be doing another round of testing tomorrow and will spend more time on 3G instead of WiFi and lots and lots of streaming music. I anticipate that my phone will be sufficiently drained by this time tomorrow but I know that will still be better than the Dinc1.

Until tomorrow...
  15. Kori_Tamashii

Kori_Tamashii Well-Known Member

My settings are similar to yours, and I'm using JuiceDefender Beta (which worked wonders on my Tbolt's battery life), and still only getting MAYBE 30 hours before I have to plug in. :/
  16. nate.kelmes

Yea, on my Dinc1 I used Advanced Task Killer religiously. I feel like it made a difference but there were plenty of people who say that it hurts more than it helps. So i'm deciding to not install any task management/killer app on my Dinc2 and just let the OS handle that. Looking at the running programs the OS appears to be doing a pretty good job on it's own so far.
  17. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

18. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

its where you bump the phone on the table while it charges.:p

seriously where you unplug the phone and then turn it off and plug the charger back in to the phone to charge it more. when plugged in the light will turn from green to yellow orange whatever color it is lol. Its suppose to charge the battery the rest of the way. Thats a bump charge.
    blackepoxy and jmar like this.
  19. pucrepeap

pucrepeap Well-Known Member

I'm Jealous

-Original DInc. User

p.s. If you are having success with the battery then avoid the task manager at all costs. Whether you believed it helped or hurt your original Incredible.
  20. I am having horrible battery life. I just bought the phone yesterday! Help =(

I unplugged it from the charger at 6am....by 7am (with no use) it was down to 90%....it has been 5 hours since i unplugged. I talked on the phone for 1 hour and 11 min....other then that ocassional phone use but not much....

I am at 22% battery! AHHHH

I heard about the recharging the phone with the phone off. Any other suggestions?
  21. nate.kelmes

Try this... Go to Settings>About Phone>Battery>Battery Use...

What does your phone say has been using the battery? Aside from the critical functions of the phone (display, cell standby, android os, etc...) what else has been using your phone? Anything stand out as suspicious? If so try disabling that app or removing it and see if that makes a difference. Also, how about the state of your peripherals such as WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Syncing, etc.
  22. I just turned off my phone to charge. But before I turned it off it said something like 60% applications....30% phone call...10% display....10% other stuff. No wifi enabled and 40% brightness setting. I did have GPS on all the time and just disabled before turning off my phone to charge. What was suspicious was the 100-90% battery drain in one hour and my phone saying 90% was due to apps. At that moment I removed my news feed app in case that was the problem but battery still draining
  23. nate.kelmes

Okay. So that says something. You mentioned news feed... take a look at your apps and see which ones you have set as a widget on your screens? Those will drain your battery as they are constantly updating. So either remove them or throttle down the update rate.

Also, as someone mentioned in another thread, this is a new phone and you're gonna play with it... a lot... just like we all did. So during this time of experimentation with your new toy the battery will drain much faster. Once things start to settle down and it's back to life as usual the battery life will improve.
  24. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Well-Known Member

I am having GREAT battery life. Some might say, it's Incredible!

My weather app updates every 3 hours and on-demand if I launch it.
    Facebook widget...Mint.com widgets...Penguins Widget...audio manager widget...TouchDown mail widget...calendar widget...Pandora widget...and i keep brightness at 20% unless I'm out in a bright environment.

Sunday I unplugged at 6:40 a.m....I was on Wi-Fi for 75% of my day at home...played some games...got Exchange emails...GMail...texts...GTalk...minor web browsing. When I went to bed at 11:00 p.m. that night, I still had 52% battery left!
  25. nate.kelmes

LOL... nice!