• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible 2 Battery Saving tips thread

I've curiously read this thread and something has me wondering. With all the screen shots of battery usage none shows dialer using any battery? Mine always shows dialer using my battery. Not a lot but 5 or 6%. Why is this?

Good question. The short answer is I had just gotten the phone hours before and had yet to make any phone calls at the time I took the screen shots.

Upvote 0
For me the answer is a resounding yes. It does add some bulk, but not like I thought it would. Honestly, I think it feels better in the hand than with the stock battery. Was told to expect 1.5x stock battery life, which seems to be spot-on after a week of use. Only bummer is missing the kickstand feature of the shell/holster combo, which the device no longer fits.

Like you, I was worried about the added bulk. But they took one out of the box & let me put the cover on my phone to get a feel for it, & that convinced me. Probably not a bad idea to try before you buy, if your Verizon folks are as accomodating.

Btw, I'm speaking of the oem 2150 mah battery & cover. My apologies if you were thinking of one of the other available extended batteries.

Reactions: JennRN
Upvote 0
Even if you havent set them up to be used the stock, news, and weather built into htc sense will ping and sync in the background. I manually went into the settings>>accounts & sync and disable sync on stocks, news, and set weather at auto update every 3 hours. Also as has been mentioned try turning brightness down and setting screen timeouts to 30 seconds...

Upvote 0
Since display has been using such a large percentage of the battery, I have made it a habit to keep the screen as low as possible.
Another thing I am trying is a very dark theme on everything I can. Homescreen minimal with a black background to keep power useage low.
snap20110730_140936.png

Reactions: seejoshplay
Upvote 0
I have never heard that. Interesting.
It only makes sense to me that the brighter the screen is, the more energy is being used. If the screen used as much energy on a black screen as it did on a white, the excess energy that is not coming out in the form of light waves would have to come out as heat, sound, or motion.
This comes from my very basic understandings of physics and energy. I don't claim to know everything about how these screens work. Just deducing :D

Upvote 0
1. Set preferred Network to CDMA Mode (not Global unless you plan to be out of country).

2. Manually control your screen brightness and set to lowest level you can tolerate.

3. Download Juice Defender. I would recommend the following settings:
a Set profile to customize
b. enable mobile data and wifi. This lets Juicedefender control when your 3G and wifi are turned on and off.
c. set wifi preferred and enable location. This remembers the wifi networks you like to connect to and will attempt do to so before turning on 3G. Wifi always uses less power then 3G.
c. enable schedule and set to a time frame when juicedefender will turn on your 3G or wifi to let data sync occur. I've got mine set for 30 minutes. If I don't turn on my screen for 30 minutes, JD will turn on 3G or wifi, perform a data sync, and turn it back off. This throttling on and off of the radios on the phone saves a lot of juice. So far haven't seen any issues with the Dinc2.

Upvote 0
b. enable mobile data and wifi. This lets Juicedefender control when your 3G and wifi are turned on and off.
c. set wifi preferred and enable location. This remembers the wifi networks you like to connect to and will attempt do to so before turning on 3G. Wifi always uses less power then 3G.
c. enable schedule and set to a time frame when juicedefender will turn on your 3G or wifi to let data sync occur. I've got mine set for 30 minutes. If I don't turn on my screen for 30 minutes, JD will turn on 3G or wifi, perform a data sync, and turn it back off. This throttling on and off of the radios on the phone saves a lot of juice. So far haven't seen any issues with the Dinc2.

I use Juice Defender and like it too. Note that some of the features above are not available in the free version. Also, for some reason JD Plus and JD Ultimate are cheaper through the Amazon Android store. Currently I'm using "Plus", which only cost $1.50, and it offers all the features you mentioned.

Upvote 0
I thought black only helped power usage if it was an amoled screen?

What little I have been able to find on this indicates only flourescent back lit LCD displays use more power to display black than white. I haven't been able to find much about our display, so if anyone has info on the tech used for our display, please share. Sometimes my Google skills are lacking.

Edit: S-LCD display. Not sure how I missed that.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
1. Set preferred Network to CDMA Mode (not Global unless you plan to be out of country).

2. Manually control your screen brightness and set to lowest level you can tolerate.

A big thanks for posting this up. I just discovered juice defender & was spending time tweaking it out. :D

One question though, does it look for wifi every 15 min? If so I may need to adjust b/c at home there is wifi and at school there is wifi, but we only use hardwire connections at NPS. So - is it spending a lot of time / juice looking for wifi, or not really? I am stoked that juice defender is much more automated than me toggling my settings on and off all the time.

Upvote 0
A big thanks for posting this up. I just discovered juice defender & was spending time tweaking it out. :D

One question though, does it look for wifi every 15 min? If so I may need to adjust b/c at home there is wifi and at school there is wifi, but we only use hardwire connections at NPS. So - is it spending a lot of time / juice looking for wifi, or not really? I am stoked that juice defender is much more automated than me toggling my settings on and off all the time.

The application learns the location of your preferred wifi spots and knows when to scan for the wifi signal. If it's not close to the location then it automatically connects to 3g.

Reactions: seejoshplay
Upvote 0
I am also having trouble with that mpt service eating up my battery. However, I can't seem to find a way to factory reset my phone. I tried checking under settings > privacy, but no such option exists. Any suggestions?

well not sure factory reset is the first thing I would try but you can find it undermenu>settings>sd phone storage>factory reset

Upvote 0
Well the factory reset worked for getting rid of the MTP service, but only for a day. It's back on there now, eating up my battery life again. I've been checking frequently over the past few days after everything I do on my phone, and I noticed it came back on when I plugged it into my computer. I was trying to get it to sync with the app doubleTwist on my computer, but not having very good luck. Could it be that app, or something else?

Upvote 0
I use Y5 Battery saver as it is simpler than juice defender for toggling wifi.
I turned off syncing for things I don't use like stocks, news and backup assistant (in accounts) and turned down things like weather to once a day. I don't use any email services that poll (like every 15 min) that just wastes juice. I use push exchange, push email from verizon as in termediary or a push app like the yahoo app. POP is the worst on battery. IMAP is a little better. I set a off peak schedule and over night the phone doesn't drain. The battery seems as good as my X which was as good as an iphone4. Just have to adjust properly. My BT is on all the time because I use it a lot. Doesn't seem to use much juice. 1.5 days is typical for me with use.

Reactions: Masamune
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones