Incredible barfed itself to (almost) death...Support

Last Updated:

1. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

To start off, i've an unrooted Dinc, manufactured Date 6/30 with stock 2GB SD.

So, now to the question. Can a single (or collection) of bad apps causes my Incredible to first of all become unreliable to the point it would reboot several times daily, then to the point where I lost several gadgets and finally to the point where the phone was stuck in a never ending reboot cycle (yes, I did try removing the battery - in fact I'd have to do that most times it rebooted on me) and required a 'Clear Storage' op from HBoot?

I've reinstalled ~50% of the apps I had previously and so far it's OK, but in the esteemed minds of my fellow peers out here, does this sound like a hardware or software problem?

Full disclosure: I did try a *228, #2 reprogram a few hours before the reboot of doom and also swapped batteries with my partners Dinc (both options had been given in response to reboot issues).

Thanks!

R

Advertisement
  2. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

short answer -- yes, bad apps or a conflict of apps can cause issues.

long answer-- see above. plus *228 does nothing more than program your phone and/or update your PRL (preferred roaming list). swapping the battery was a good try so you can make sure it's not a battery issue. the best thing to think of is what you did just before you started having issues? Did you download some new app(s), or did you maybe update an app? Did you change any settings within any particular app(s)? Etc etc... try to figure out what happened just before the issue presented.

I've had my DInc since launch, and I can count on 1 finger the amount of times it's reboot...

Rachel A likes this.
  3. Rachel A

I kinda figured that the reprogramming would be next to useless, but when faced with an unhappy Dinc one has to try and grasp no matter how thin the straws are - ditto the with the battery.

My partners Incredible has also been fine since we received them on the same day - in fact she was so happy with it she was even loath to swap batteries with me!

I do have to say it was fine up until this morning - can't speak as from then since, like a muppet, I left my new best friend at home :(

As I mentioned I wanted to get a feel from you guys if software could causes these problems - and it sounds like they can which is both worrying and satisfying to hear in rougly equal parts (I may not have to replace my phone vs. it *may* still be hardware related).

Thanks!

4. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

my friend was having a similar problem- random, multiple, reboots. I helped him do a reset, and now it's not having any problems.

Just like a computer, conflicting software can have a negative impact. If you're an app-junkie, like a lot of people are with these types of phones, then get in the habit of removing apps you aren't using, don't work right, or don't need/want anymore. I downloaded an app called Uninstaller, and it's just a couple taps to remove (instead of going thru market, or thru the settings menu for applications). also, if you come across a bad app, then send feedback thru the market if you can. Devs can't fix a problem they don't know exists.

5. Rachel A

I ended up only reinstalling ~50% of the Apps I originally had (grabbing 'essentials' first). Soon after installing Jorte I did have a reboot - however none after I subsequentially removed it. One observation however isn't a positive identification so I'm loath to report it as a 'Bad App' - especially since it seems many other folk use it just fine.

R