• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Boot Animation

That looks freaking awesome by the way!
Is there any way to get some frames of just the eye with the two dots going back an forth for the final loading part?
At the end of the animation you have the dots go to one side and then the other and then end, but if we could get some frames of them going back to the other side and then back to the start again it would make an awesome boot animation for loading!
Thanks for the hard work!

Upvote 0
Actually if ADB scares you or you don't have it on your PC you can doo everything directly from the Incredible with terminal emulator from the market. Thee commands would be basically the same...

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

mv /system/media/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.bak
cat /sdcard/bootanimation.zip > /system/media/
OR
mv /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip
sync
reboot

It will reboot with the new animation, this way is easier if you don't mind using the virtual keyboard.

Can you do a tutorial on this using better terminal from market place? please

Upvote 0
My bad everyone, it does need to be in /data/local if you don't have root. The commands should still be pretty much the same, assuming it works the same as the Droid.

Place the file on your sd card, then in terminal emu type

mv /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local

sync
reboot

If that doesn't work then the Inc must be setup differently.

Upvote 0
here it is, let me know what you think and if it works :p\

on the moto droid this is where you stored it w/ out root.

/data/local/bootanimation.zip
bootanimation.gif

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Something is very wrong with this, I put it on my Droid just to see how it looked and not only can you see the "square" in the middle of the screen but it doesn't animate properly at all, it freezes up after like a second or two and looks all messed up.

Upvote 0
I don't have a Inc handy to do it now but I'll ask my neighbor to borrow his tonight, actually there is a dump of the Inc if you want that, I'm sure it contains the stock boot ani stuff.
I am downloading that dump now to pull the boot animation off of it. Also I will have to read up on how to read the desc.txt again as I forgot what any of it means lol.

Upvote 0
I know the Droid and Inc res are a tad different but that shouldn't matter because I have used N1 boot ani's and they work fine. Did you load it on your Droid to see what I'm talking about?
I used the moto droid res so that may be the issue as I know the nexus one and the droid do not share the same info. I will see what i can come up with here..

Upvote 0
I am downloading that dump now to pull the boot animation off of it. Also I will have to read up on how to read the desc.txt again as I forgot what any of it means lol.

Both parts have to use the same frame rate, so if you need one part to go slower, you'll have to create some extra frames. This is how the desc.txt file works:

320 480 15 Width, height, frame rate
p 1 0 foldername Play 1 time, then pause for 0 frames
p 2 30 otherfolder Play 2 times, pause 30 frames after each loop
p 0 0 andanother Play infinite times, no pause between loops

The "p" is a separator, because it actually ignores line feeds and carriage returns. You can name the folders whatever you want and use as many as you want, and you don't have to loop anything if you don't want to. Note that if your frame rate is "15", then for a 2-second pause you'd use "30" like I did in the example above. You don't have to use the width and height of the screen as your width and height. You can use smaller dimensions and it will fill the rest of the space with black, or you can use larger dimensions but it will crop to only show the center of the animation.

Always make sure your ZIP is created in "store" mode, meaning that it has no compression. And make sure you delete any hidden files inside the ZIP, like "Thumbs.db" from Windows or ".AppleDouble" from a Mac.

Hope this helps!
This is from the Eris forum. Hope we can figure this out

Upvote 0
I modified the images to the size that the n1 was using and messed with the desc.txt a bit. someone want to give it a try and let me know if it is still screwed up?

bootanimation.zip

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/382697891/bootanimation.zip

also let me know if any of the images seem cut off as changing the size of the image messed with some things that I may need to fix.

Upvote 0
The boot animation configuration is in /system/customize/CID/default.xml
Plus I found this information in the bootanimation file in /system/bin/...can anyone make sense of it?

debug.sf.nobootanimation 0 boot animation disabled /system/media/bootanimation.zip %0 80 Could not load xml file '%s'. Error='%s'.
customization_form Could not find root. Error ='%s'.
BootConfiguration Could not find config. Error
Could not find element.
Could not find animation attribute.
audio value[0] = %s value[1] = %s mode_ringer /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db BootAnimation::checkAudioFromDb sqlite3_open error select name, value from system where name= "mode_ringer" OR name= "volume_ring" ORDER BY _id ASC SQL error: %s
ro.cid CID=%s
/system/customize/CID/ Can't use %s.xml, use default.
/system/customize/CID/default.xml Read default.xml failed, use bootanimation.zip.
/system/media/android_audio.mp3 Can't read CID, use default.
Load /system/etc/customer/bootanimation.zip /system/etc/customer/android_audio.mp3 Load /data/local/bootanimation.zip /data/local/android_audio.mp3 Audio Path: %s desc.txt descMap is null %d %d %d p %d %d %s play mp3 now!
play animation %d!
android play mp3 finish!
images/android-logo-mask.png images/android-logo-shine.png SurfaceFlinger died, exiting... linkToComposerDeath failed (%s) HtcBootAnimation /system/etc/customer/boot_screen.gif /system/etc/customer/boot_screen2.gif image2 image3 image_bg screenX screenY useAudio loopimage image_repeat_times image2_repeat_times image3_repeat_times mGifPath = %s
Can't find CID.xml, use default.
Read default.xml failed, use boot_animation.xml.
/system/media/bootscreen/boot_animation.xml volume_ring GifInfo gif file not exist. SkMovie decodeFile error GifPlayer SkMovie decode background file error LOOP GIF path = %s imageCount=%d x=%d y=%d
< <!-- </ />

Reactions: da_knowledge
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones