Incredible change to LCD poses problems for all of usGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Feels Good Man

Feels Good Man Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For those of us with an AMOLED, lets hope we never need to get a warranty replacement. We'll be given an inferior product.

Want to sell your phone when your contract is up? People will have to take your word that yours is an AMOLED version.

All in all, I'd characterize this as an HTC EPIC FAIL. They had a chance to get a huge jump on the iphone4, droid x, evo and others. Now the phone will just die off and lose value.

I'm glad I got only a one year contract.

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

you bring valid concerns. +1

It's still a fine phone, however, either way, imo.

3. jakeh0

jakeh0 Well-Known Member

SLCD is more visible in the sun right? the blacks arent as deep though? ill take daytime viewing over deep blacks. thats what she said. wait what?

bollin, rsarno, Dex and 2 others like this.
  4. Feels Good Man

:p

5. Feels Good Man

The Incredible debacle reminds me of the Bren Ten that came out in the 80s. It was supposed to be new hot gun, and make the 10mm cartridge popular. But they had supply problems with their magazine manufacturer, and the gun and 10mm faded into oblivion.

6. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

Also real resolution. Will be higher. Droid lcd looks sharper than nexus/incredible

7. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

I love all this hysteria over a screen that NOBODY has seen.

SLCD will probably be more visible in sun, at maximum. LCDs are probably going to be less efficient. So it's possible that the AMOLED screen at 100% will be more visible that an LCD at 60%, and that they have the same current draw. We really won't know about it's performance until somebody gets it in their hands.

marcusmpe, 10splaya22 and Mskgreenel like this.
  8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Well from what I understand they're utilizing both, so even through a warranty replacement, you may still get an AMOLED screen

9. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

As was mentioned, we don't know if it's an "inferior" product yet. Nobody has actually seen it. From the reports I am reading it's really a toss up. The blacks are more grey looking, BUT it does better in sunlight. The power consumption seems to be the same despite reports saying otherwise.

Actually, you should be able to tell just by looking at it. You can also check the manufacture date. And of course, they will be using both, it's not a full switch.

This is not an HTC fail, it's a Samsung fail. HTC doesn't make the displays so they have no control over the supply.

Oh, and Evo is an HTC device :p

10. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Yeah, you might get my old one! ;)

11. SoulWeaponry

SoulWeaponry Well-Known Member

Such a strange discussion to lump an entire technology (lcd) into this fail category for, apparently, being low quality at all times

LCD does not = bad people. Before you guys get worried about this, realize that to us consumers that haven't beta tested and worked with multiple technologies first hand, "LCD" and "AMOLED" are just buzzwords to sell us crap.

I say if LCD screens equal lots more units being shipped out then it's a win for all of us. We want to grow the incredible model's market so we're part of a gigantic group...a group that can demand accessories!

12. Lifeguard17

Lifeguard17 Well-Known Member

If you have to get a replacement phone I wonder if you can get a free upgrade to the newst released phone because they are technically not replacing your original phone with the same device. If they start using the new screens don't they have to get a new FCC number technically making it a different device?

13. euph_22

I'm sure they just need to replace it with a similar device, not an identical device.

14. paperclips

paperclips New Member

So you would rather HTC lose lots of money on not being able to ship phones due to a shortage of AMOLED displays? This was the smartest move they could make because for all we know, there isn't much loss in quality of the blacks, and you will have a better view of the display outside.

15. mach330

mach330 Well-Known Member

they keep calling it super tft. how is this different that a regular lcd (like on the droid and dx)? same?

16. nickreich

nickreich Well-Known Member

Don't break your phone. :)

17. euph_22

18. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

Maybe its just me, but we are talking about a PHONE right? No offense, but who really cares what the screen is. You either like your phone that you probably won't have a year from now or you don't. It's not like you paid for steak and got hamburger guys. It's fun to have the latest and greatest, unfortunately, as with anything techie, it turns over pretty quickly. I can't believe people are upset about this. Who gives a shit? My .02

19. nickreich

nickreich Well-Known Member

+1

20. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

The average person won't be able to tell the difference and LCD's offer some advantages over AMOLED, they both have their strong points and weak points.

slbailey1 likes this.
  21. coastal_carolina

coastal_carolina Well-Known Member

Why can't they go with Super AMOLED?

Not widely available?

22. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

I agree.

23. shoust

shoust Active Member

Question,anyone know what the latest screens are? I'm expecting my Inc shortly after a ridiculously long wait! Honestly I feel as though these companies should have adequate supplies if they are going to advertise there phones as intensely as they do. I have been waiting for almost a month now and while I wait new phones are arriving all the time making me think that maybe the Inc is not the way to go? Especially if the screen is inferior????

24. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

I was just outside and I noticed that the sky is falling.

25. DxJustin

DxJustin Active Member

I'm expecting a replacement phone today. The lady said that she "thinks" that it has the LCD screen in it. If it has a different screen I can do some side by side shots for comparison. I might be biased though because I loved the screen on my moto droid.