• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible change to LCD poses problems for all of us

For those of us with an AMOLED, lets hope we never need to get a warranty replacement. We'll be given an inferior product.

Want to sell your phone when your contract is up? People will have to take your word that yours is an AMOLED version.

All in all, I'd characterize this as an HTC EPIC FAIL. They had a chance to get a huge jump on the iphone4, droid x, evo and others. Now the phone will just die off and lose value.

I'm glad I got only a one year contract.

Inferior my ass, AMOLED is fail and I will never buy another phone with it that isn't SUPER AMOLED. Sony's SUPER LCD is WAAAAY better and has better battery life.

If anything your phone should go for LESS on ebay.

Upvote 0
ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg
jayjay2911
jayjay2911

Upvote 0
Inferior my ass, AMOLED is fail and I will never buy another phone with it that isn't SUPER AMOLED. Sony's SUPER LCD is WAAAAY better and has better battery life.

If anything your phone should go for LESS on ebay.

Better battery life? LOL.

Have you seen the battery usage on amoled displays? Its quite low. I've seen demonstrations and nothing has shown that slcd is better from what I've seen.

Not heard.

Seen.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, neither Verizon nor HTC have come out and said they will NOT be using SLCD screens in future Incredibles. The only official press release has been from HTC:

----
HTC Introduces SLCD Display Technology To Its Portfolio

New Displays to be integrated into HTC Desire and Nexus One

Taoyuan, TAIWAN – July 26, 2010 – HTC Corporation, a global designer of smartphones, today introduced Super LCD display (SLCD) technology into a variety of HTC phones including the HTC Desire and global Nexus One later this summer. The SLCD display offers an exceptional natural balanced colour, clear contrast, broad viewing angles and improved power efficiency.

"HTC is experiencing high-demand for many of our phones, specifically our phones with 3.7 inch displays. The new SLCD display technology enables us to ramp up our production capabilities quickly to meet the high-demand," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. "The SLCD displays provide consumers with a comparable visual experience to HTC's current 3.7 inch displays with some additional benefits including battery performance."

SLCD is the latest generation of LCD technology that offers improved performance from earlier LCD panels including approximately five times better power management. SLCDs also offer an enhanced viewing experience with wider viewing angles that are enabled by Sony's new VSPEC III™ technology.

About HTC

HTC Corporation (HTC) is one of the fastest growing companies in the mobile phone industry. By putting people at the center of everything it does, HTC creates innovative smartphones that better serve the lives and needs of individuals. The company is listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange under ticker 2498. For more information about HTC, please visit www.htc.com.
----

It does not mention the Incredible, but does not exclude the possibility. If there is another press release I've missed, someone please feel free to post it.

Just saying.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, neither Verizon nor HTC have come out and said they will NOT be using SLCD screens in future Incredibles. The only official press release has been from HTC:

Why would they bring up another product in a press release? "Over the next couple of months, the Droid Incredible will not be having any design or production changes worth noting." That's not how corporate pr works. It just isn't.

SLCD on the Incredible has never been more than an inference (a decent inference based on the information, but still an inference).

The first reports of this came from a South Korean News paper, basically reporting it as a loss of business for Samsung, without specifying which specific screens/phones were affected. Around the same time various tech blogs reported the rumor that they would switch, or offer as an option, SLCD on the Nexus one, Desire and incredible. None of these blogs gave any evidence specifying which phones were involved.

I recall seeing somebody quote an HTC forum post confirming that they are planning on keeping the Incredible AMOLED for the time being. But since I don't feel like tracking that down, feel free to assume I just made that up. :)

More importantly, the HTC website still lists the Incredible as having an AMOLED screen, while both the desire and the Nexus one are listed as having "WVGA" screens with no specific reference to the display technology.

All the current evidence points to the switch only involving the Desire and the N1. THERE IS NO CURRENT EVIDENCE SUGGESTING THE INCREDIBLE IS GETTING A SLCD SCREEN. NONE. If there are any new developments on this we can start a new thread. Until that happens...

MODS, PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD.

Upvote 0

That's true. But you are missing one important point:

Neither Verizon nor HTC have ever come out and said that they WILL be using (or even thought about using) SLCD screens in future Incredibles.

It was all a rumor, period. Granted, it was one of the few rumors we've had around here that actually made sense and seemed logical, but it was a rumor nonetheless.

Yes, this thread needs to be locked. And a huge sticky post needs to be made at the top of this forum saying "NO Incredibles have SLCD screens and there is NO confirmed switch. Period".

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Reactions: euph_22
Upvote 0

----
[...]

----

It does not mention the Incredible, but does not exclude the possibility. If there is another press release I've missed, someone please feel free to post it.

Just saying.
Then again, neither HTC nor VZW has stated that future ncredibles won't have dual core Snapdragons and LTE radios. The point being that inferring that since the press release not saying that something isn't going to transpire serves as evidence that it is, is flawed logic.

Of course, this is moot, since HTC has indeed stated that there are currently no plans to switch the Incredible to Sony's LCD. HTC's cookie-cutter response sent to various sources regarding this subject.

Because AMOLED supply is being relieved on other models, we currently feel we can meet demand of Droid Incredible with AMOLED screens. Of course we may need to change our minds and add sLCD screen models should demand continue to remain high.
Source: HTC officially moving to SLCD displays for the Nexus One and HTC Desire

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones