• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Incredible Deleting my Email

docp

Apr 29, 2010
Ok this is really annoying. I just noticed for the past few days, my Incredible has been deleting my email off of my pop server account after I delete it (from Trash) out of the phone. Before you say anything, I have "Delete Email on Server" unchecked from the settings.

So I checked it, shut off the phone, unchecked it and then sent a few test emails. With it checked, it does delete my email after I delete it off of the phone - obviously. Unchecking it, sending test email and deleting it STILL DELETES IF OFF MY POP SERVER.

I am a little frustrated because I realized about 4 days of emails have been deleted, although I have copies of them on one computer, I still am a little mad about it.

Anyone else notice this problem? I have no idea what to do about this. I know it didn't do this out of the box, only recently.

after deleting my account 3 times on my phone and sending more test emails from my account, each time checking and unchecking the delete email on server, it still deletes it regardless if i have it checked.

this is really annoying, i'm going to call HTC monday but how am i the ONLY one experiencing this? no suggestions at all??

Upvote 0
I think im having the problem that dryfly is. Everyday when I check my email, my phone only shows emails from today or yesterday. I have a POP3 account (aol) and I set it up automatically. Maybe I should try it manually. I have this account on Outlook too, and I think the problem may be that when I read the emails on Outlook, it deletes them on my phone. Is there a setting I can change to fix that?

Upvote 0
I think im having the problem that dryfly is. Everyday when I check my email, my phone only shows emails from today or yesterday. I have a POP3 account (aol) and I set it up automatically. Maybe I should try it manually. I have this account on Outlook too, and I think the problem may be that when I read the emails on Outlook, it deletes them on my phone. Is there a setting I can change to fix that?

I got this off here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010430621033.aspx

Hope it helps

1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail accounts.
  2. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
  3. Under Name, select the POP3 account you want to change, and then click Change.
  4. Click More Settings.
  5. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Delivery, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box.You can also select whether to automatically remove messages from your e-mail server after a specified number of days, when you delete the item on your computer, or when the Deleted Items folder is emptied. These settings may help prevent you from exceeding the mailbox size limit amount your ISP has set.

Upvote 0
I got this off here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010430621033.aspx

Hope it helps

1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail accounts.
  2. Select View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.
  3. Under Name, select the POP3 account you want to change, and then click Change.
  4. Click More Settings.
  5. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Delivery, select the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box.You can also select whether to automatically remove messages from your e-mail server after a specified number of days, when you delete the item on your computer, or when the Deleted Items folder is emptied. These settings may help prevent you from exceeding the mailbox size limit amount your ISP has set.

I actually tried that exact thing about an hour ago. After that I restored the emails that were deleted on my POP3 server by going to aol.com. I finally saw them on my phone, and they appeared as duplicates in my Outlook account. I marked all the messages as read on Outlook and they're still on my phone, so that's a good sign. But I'm not conviced yet. I want to see what happens in the days to come.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Not quite the same problem, but yesterday ALL my POP3 mail on the phone disappeared! (NO I did not delete then myself)
i actually had that problem the other day

i went to send a half.com book i sold a few days prior, went to the post office to send my book and it was gone...didn't delete it either

this whole email this is frustrating...never had these problems with winmo

Upvote 0
Same problem here. All my email is gone from the phone. This morning it showed just yesterdays and todays yet I had a weeks worth of email on my phone yesterday. I tried syncing(menu>>receive) and nothing. the little sync icon didn't move. I then went into account settings and checked everything, clicked next and i got this messabe box:
"Warning Cannot connect to the mail server to verify your account information. Your server is not responding."
Clicked back and all my email was gone...just a white screen that says : "No mail"
I know my email settings are correct and the server isn't down because it works on my comp. Even if it was down what the hell happened to the email that already downloaded to the phone?

I have wifi on and sync on.

btw it's an earthlink pop3 account

Upvote 0
my Incredible has done this twice now. i wake up and look at my phone and only today's and yesterday's emails are still in my inbox. NO i did not delete them in my sleep and no one else snuck into my room and deleted them either, Verizon tech. this just happened again this morning and i call Verizon and they told me to take it to a store to be looked at. i will let you know what they say besides 'lets do a hard reset.' :/

Upvote 0
I'm using the gmail app. Since I have the phone, old emails would sit on it for WEEKS. Now, suddenly this weekend, after last weeks update to 2.2, I notice they are just wiped out - not only are they wiped, but they don't show up in trash or anywhere else (everything I manually delete is in trash - just not the wiped ones). It's not outlook related (and I haven't changed delete from server settings either), as I've used the phone the same way, where outlook would be used and the old emails stay put. I had travelocity itineraries saved for months and they just sat until I deleted. Now, suddenly they are wiping out like my BB Pearl used to. Really annoying since I can't save or lock them either. Pretty pointless to have email that then just disappears. I like to reference them at times.

I've tried changing the settings to where it's ALL rather than 3 days. Same deal. That said, I changed those settings once, and checked them again today, and it seems that it all went back to default settings, so I changed them again.

This, and the nav/drain battery part make me HATE this phone right now. I travel alot and a) need my travelocity emails saved, and b) need to have a phone left at the end of a drive using GPS.

Reactions: AndreaSctlnd
Upvote 0
I've been playing - and as soon as I read any emails in outlook, it immediately deletes them from my phone, regardless of whether or not I've deleted them in outlook. I do not have delete from server checked. I'm so livid, this is definately new - I've had messages on my phone for months before this that were read on my computer. I can't find any settings changes to fix it.

Reactions: AndreaSctlnd
Upvote 0
None before 2.2 - stayed there until I deleted from phone, regardless of what I did in outlook. It's annoying, because we can't lock or save a message and now I can't read it on my computer either or it's gone on my phone.

My account is not an exchange either - unless the update somehow makes it act as one. It's a standard POP account. Maybe I'll delete it and start over. Of course, I'm technically not savvy, so that will end up hosing everything up!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones