• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible first impressions

I would like to hear impressions from someone who came from an Eris. I got rid of my Eris to get this, and am hoping that it has all of the strong points, while addressing the weak points of the Eris.

I will say though that the fact that it doesn't sit flat on it's back is a slight disappointment. Seems like a design oversight.

Thanks,
Doc

Upvote 0
Just thought of another thing that was a bit counter intuitive.

When you swipe the screen you are basically pushing the screen in the direction you swipe. Swipe the main screen right to left pushes it left and brings up the first home screen to the right.

Using the optical trackpad this is actually backwards. A right to left swipe over the trackpad will bring you to the first home screen to the left similar to moving a camera operated by a joystick to that direction.

Was weird and definitely feels like they should match up.

Would this be fixable or be able to have a toggle option built into the firmware so you have the option of changing it?

Upvote 0
Just thought of another thing that was a bit counter intuitive.

When you swipe the screen you are basically pushing the screen in the direction you swipe. Swipe the main screen right to left pushes it left and brings up the first home screen to the right.

Using the optical trackpad this is actually backwards. A right to left swipe over the trackpad will bring you to the first home screen to the left similar to moving a camera operated by a joystick to that direction.

Was weird and definitely feels like they should match up.

I imagine this optical trackball is going to confuse alot of people but thats how its SUPPOSED to work. Remember its a trackball....not a gesture area. Pretend like its a real ball for a second. When you roll the ball to the left the cursor on the screen moves to the left (imaginary or not). For instance on my G1 the icons on the desktop would be highlighted and move to the next icon to the left. When you reach the last icon to the left the desktop scrolls to the left. This is opposed to you actually putting your finger on the desktop and "pulling" it to the right so you see the desktop on the left.

If it was done the other way you'd get confused when you use the track ball to highlight something like links in a web page. You'd roll to the left expecting to highlight a link to the left but instead the cursor would go to the right. The trackball is meant for fine grain selection rather than navigation.

Reactions: stoffelck
Upvote 0
I was told when I bought my Motorola DROID (which I returned for the Incredible), that the Android's and all the newer smartphones only go to 3G when they NEED to or whe you are WEB-BROWSING, that is why you see the bouncing back and forth.

This is just what I was told - then again, if you told me you got your Incredible already, I would believe that too! ;)

Jon

This is exactly what I observed when using my Incredible. So far the phone is exactly as awesome as I expected. I am coming from an Imagio where my system was so bogged down by MS 6.5 and Sense that it was just... slow to respond to anything. The only thing I liked about the Imagio over the Incredible was the weight factor. I like things that are heavier, they feel better built... but that is just my opinion.

I charged mine over night and it has now been off of the charger for almost 6 hours and is still at 80%. Knowing that this is only the beginning of its life I expect that by a week or two I would probably be at about 90% after it is trained.

It is so responsive I need to be careful of where I touch the screen or I'll be in another application all together. Opening applications is lightning fast, I mean you touch Internet and the browser is open in WAY less than a second, with Google popping up within 2 seconds, and fully loaded in 3 max. I mean the WOW factor IS there in a big way!

Opening numerous apps has not been an issue yet at all. The Incredible has great memory management and I find that even with 5-7 apps open I still have a lot of ram to play with and still get great and snappy response from keyboard when messaging/emailing.

I really hope we get swype soon, this will be the over the top!

Now, coming from WinMo I have a lot to learn about customizing my experience and tuning my Incredible, but I think I'm gonna be pretty happy with it!

Upvote 0
I imagine this optical trackball is going to confuse alot of people but thats how its SUPPOSED to work. Remember its a trackball....not a gesture area. Pretend like its a real ball for a second. When you roll the ball to the left the cursor on the screen moves to the left (imaginary or not). For instance on my G1 the icons on the desktop would be highlighted and move to the next icon to the left. When you reach the last icon to the left the desktop scrolls to the left. This is opposed to you actually putting your finger on the desktop and "pulling" it to the right so you see the desktop on the left.

If it was done the other way you'd get confused when you use the track ball to highlight something like links in a web page. You'd roll to the left expecting to highlight a link to the left but instead the cursor would go to the right. The trackball is meant for fine grain selection rather than navigation.

Oh, absolutely, it's gonna confuse the hell out of people. There must be some way to code Sense to utilize it the same as a gesture when on any of the home screens though. That would make a bit more...uh... sense. Then release it to use like a trackball/mouse/etc when in other applications.

Upvote 0
Oh, absolutely, it's gonna confuse the hell out of people. There must be some way to code Sense to utilize it the same as a gesture when on any of the home screens though. That would make a bit more...uh... sense. Then release it to use like a trackball/mouse/etc when in other applications.

Yea I can see them gettin dinged for this constantly until they come up with some sort of "invert x axis" option for the desktop. I just don't think you'll be able to explain it to people since theres no physical trackball and it looks like a gesture area.

Upvote 0
Could people that have Incredible comment on how it performs outdoors when it is sunny? The Engadget review said it was pretty much unusable when sunny outside. I really do not have issue with this if this is only referring to direct sunlight. I can always turn so that the screen is in shadow.

Also could someone measure the battery? It is 1300 mAH and looks similar to Eris battery so I'm hoping it is same battery. I have a 1,750 mAH Seidio battery I'm hoping to use. The Eris battery is .18"x2.56"x1.71.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
as for the confusion on the trackpad vs screen movement, just think of the way that you use your finger on the screen as pulling the scenes from left to right to go left, and right to left to go right. and think of the trackpad as pushing the scenes. thats scrolling your finger left on the track pad to go left and right to go right. its the same with my hero and the trackball. not really confusing.

Upvote 0
I was told when I bought my Motorola DROID (which I returned for the Incredible), that the Android's and all the newer smartphones only go to 3G when they NEED to or whe you are WEB-BROWSING, that is why you see the bouncing back and forth.

This is just what I was told - then again, if you told me you got your Incredible already, I would believe that too! ;)

Jon

That's actually incorrect. The device should stay on 3G as that's the default preferred network. You can change the settings to disable 3G and force it onto 1x but that's only good if you're in a poor 3G coverage area and you continuously bounce between 1x and 3G.

The phone WILL switch 1x for a split second while texting, since SMS is sent via the control channel on the voice side of the cell. You may or may not catch the status change on the device since it should be quick but I've seen it a couple times.

Upvote 0
That's actually incorrect. The device should stay on 3G as that's the default preferred network. You can change the settings to disable 3G and force it onto 1x but that's only good if you're in a poor 3G coverage area and you continuously bounce between 1x and 3G.

The phone WILL switch 1x for a split second while texting, since SMS is sent via the control channel on the voice side of the cell. You may or may not catch the status change on the device since it should be quick but I've seen it a couple times.

So basically the Salesman in the store was just blowing smoke out of his ass just and just coming up with some story on why either the store location and/or the Moto DROID got poor reception.

OR

Your blowing smoke out your ass!

Who do I believe??? A TRUE VERIZON WIRELESS REP, who will say ANYTHING to sell a phone, or a forum poster, who has a measly 937 post who's only been thanked about 2,675 times???

I think I will believe YOU!!!!

I can buy that, I do know that it ALWAYS switches to 1x when sending SMS... other then that, I don't know much about Cell Technology when it comes to that side of things.

Jon

Upvote 0

Jon

That would be cool if true, but I am not aware of such dyanmic radio management. Please be careful and not accept a bouncing signal as such. Too many other apps also use the data for that to be what is going on.

Whoever told you that should not be allowed to talk to people anymore. Bad.

Upvote 0
I fully charged my incredible when I recieved it. first impression of the hardware were that it feels like a great size, a little thinner (widthwise, not depth) than i was expecting, and the weight is perfect, not too light to feel like a toy and not heavy enough to feel like a brick...

Heavy enough to feel like a brick can be a good thing, as demonstrated its use in here:

YouTube - Sprint Superbowl crime deterrent phone :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones