Incredible, Flash, and Justin.tv (website, not app) - working last week, not working this weekSupport

Last Updated:

1. blazera

blazera Member This Topic's Starter

Configuration: Stock 2.2 ROM (rooted), stock 2.36.32.15 kernel, stock browser, Adobe Flash 10.1.92.10

Last week while I was out and about, I was able to use my browser view some things via Justin.tv. Once I got a decent signal (via both 3G and wi-fi, depending on my location), I had no problems viewing content from the Justin.tv website.

This weekend, I wanted to do the same. However, I wasn't able to play anything from Justin.tv at all - not even the spam ad that plays at the beginning of the video, just a black screen. Again, this was via both 3G and wi-fi. With the exception of adding DSPManager, the configuration of my Incredible did not change from last week.

Just to make sure I was even able to view flash videos in the first place, I pointed my browser over to sites with flash video content, such as CNET, BoxLive.tv, and the like. No problems there, save for a brief drop of 3G signal down to 1x here and there. In no particular order, I did the following:

- cleaned out the browser cache and the Dalvik cache (option to clear out the Flash Player cache was greyed out)
    - uninstalled and reinstalled Flash
    - restored my pre-DSPManager configuration from a Nandroid backup

All with no luck.

Has anyone else had problems accessing Justin.tv via browser? If so, any word if they've implemented something similar to Hulu where mobile access won't work? Or, have I missed something that may have gone awry on my Incredible?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. blazera

Update 9/24/10: Upgraded Adobe Flash during the past week, initially to version 10.1.95.1 on Monday, then to version 10.1.95.2 this morning. Tried accessing TWiT Live on Justin on both occasions - no luck at all.

Anyone have an idea?

3. blazera

Well I had some time today to see if I can nail down the problem, and it appears Justin.tv had restricted access to mobile platforms.

There is a thread on Justin's help forum (Firefox Version 3.6.10 - Justin.tv Community Help Forums) that implies a change was made back on 9/17 that affected accessing Justin.tv on Firefox browsers. Thinking that this change was the cause of my issues (which was consistent with my inability to access Justin.tv on my Incredible), I decided to perform a short test.

I tried to access TWiT Live on Justin.tv using two different browsers: the stock Android one for the Incredible, and Opera (which I installed for purposes of this test).

The stock browser shows a black screen where the video would be, and a rotating circular progress icon where the chat would be.

On Opera, the page finally rendered. In the video location was the statement "Your mobile device does not support Justin.tv." The chat area had the words "Phone not supported."

For good measure, I installed the Skyfire browser (which I understand renders web pages before they get to the phone, hence the ability to play video where other browsers would fail). Accessing TWiT Live on Justin.tv worked in this instance.

So, if you want to watch Justin.tv badly on your Incredible, access through the Skyfire browser is a viable workaround.

Screenshots are attached, though I have had to resize them down in order to attach in the first place. (You may not be able to see the text on the Opera screenshot as a result.)

Attached Files:

neyel8r likes this.