• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Incredible has been rooted

Super short answer: No, you don't. This guy has no clue.

Exactly what I was thinking, I admit I'm very new to Android and still learning, but gaining root access shouldn't change anything on the phone really what-so-ever, other than giving you security permissions to change or delete files and settings. Everything else should run as normal, amirite?

Upvote 0
Exactly what I was thinking, I admit I'm very new to Android and still learning, but gaining root access shouldn't change anything on the phone really what-so-ever, other than giving you security permissions to change or delete files and settings. Everything else should run as normal, amirite?

I think you folks may be jumping to conclusions. Most people that understand rooting logically assume people will apply a new rom with modded OS and stock apps.

Snapdragon is already pretty good at dynamic clocking, so not seeing the advantage, unless you want to cap the clock lower than 1ghz. OCing snap is problematic, due to the heat already generated at 1ghz. Snap was designed with a lower ceiling threshold than the 3430's stock speeds.

Still, people will still install a Nexus or EVO based rom, or try to overclock and then we will get the "my Inc fried", "my Inc is bricked", "my Inc does not see the flash memory", etc.

Now those posts will be some good readin' :)

Upvote 0
I think you folks may be jumping to conclusions. Most people that understand rooting logically assume people will apply a new rom with modded OS and stock apps.

Snapdragon is already pretty good at dynamic clocking, so not seeing the advantage, unless you want to cap the clock lower than 1ghz. OCing snap is problematic, due to the heat already generated at 1ghz. Snap was designed with a lower ceiling threshold than the 3430's stock speeds.

Still, people will still install a Nexus or EVO based rom, or try to overclock and then we will get the "my Inc fried", "my Inc is bricked", "my Inc does not see the flash memory", etc.

Now those posts will be some good readin' :)

Thank you, that was my assumption. Most people don't just root the phone and walk away, they change the rom. If you change the rom, you're most likely going to one without Sense. Hence the "short answer".

But to be mroe precise, no, gaining root acess to the phone will not get rid of sense, but it will enable you to do things which will get rid of Sense.

Perhaps I should have better phrased it "Yes, you CAN lose Sense".

Reactions: nyngbld
Upvote 0
Alright, so I'm going to see if I have this clarified for us newer users. I've been waiting for an android phone that I loved for a while now, and the DINC is it!

If you root your phone, the way I understand it is that you have the ABILITY to install a custom ROM. However, you can continue to run the standard ROM and simply have true Root/Admin access to your phone, correct?

On that note, if I choose to continue running Sense (actually going to run a different home screen, but the stock ROM still) how/where do I set up and enable WiFi tethering? That's the main reason I got a DINC, well... the main reason I could justify spending some of my student loan on it =)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm still on the fence about this. On one hand.. I do kinda wish I was just given stock Android. I'd rather have the latest updates ASAP vs something thats prettier and arguably little easier to navigate through. On the other hand.. I don't want to void my warranty through rooting. From what I've read (please correct me if what I've read is wrong), rooting voids warranty.

Upvote 0
Alright, so I'm going to see if I have this clarified for us newer users. I've been waiting for an android phone that I loved for a while now, and the DINC is it!

If you root your phone, the way I understand it is that you have the ABILITY to install a custom ROM. However, you can continue to run the standard ROM and simply have true Root/Admin access to your phone, correct?

On that note, if I choose to continue running Sense (actually going to run a different home screen, but the stock ROM still) how/where do I set up and enable WiFi tethering? That's the main reason I got a DINC, well... the main reason I could justify spending some of my student loan on it =)

Thanks.

Right now, you can root, and leave everything exactly how it is right now.

For wifi tethering, you just have to install a 3rd party app that does wifi tethering. (It's really easy to do, most apps are free, they just require root access to change the mode of the wifi card)

Upvote 0

For wifi tethering, you just have to install a 3rd party app that does wifi tethering. (It's really easy to do, most apps are free, they just require root access to change the mode of the wifi card)

This is what I am looking for. I love this phone for everything and currently have no desire to run a different ROM. I just want to be able to tether via wifi for my ipad when I travel. I'm going to wait until things get clearer and easier to root but unless I've read things wrong, rooting is the only way for me to achieve the wifi tether.

Upvote 0

Hey necosino

So if we root phone, and use things like Wifi tether etc.., i know we break the warranty, what I ask is can things be put back to default and unroot, if something went wrong with phone, could we then claim on insurance without getting found out we had root?

Upvote 0
Put it this way Steven....
As with the moto droid that I rooted for my wife.
It may void waranty but who cares. You can put it back after you root it to stock. Or if something goes wrong and you need to return it... give it a 5 min bath in the bathtub and your golden.

hahahah... ok. Lolita might like a bubble bath. ;)

Upvote 0
you lose sense until someone makes a rom with sense. then you get your sense back :p
im very happy as i just bought a new (very very cheap) eken android tablet!
now i can do wifi tether and let my son use it for video and i use my phone for...my phone when im driving :)
the balance of the earth has been restored!!!

You do realize your on vzw so if he is tethering you can't use it as a phone right?

Anyway awesome news, I'm not as excited as I thought I'd be since I like the phone so much, but its nice to know when I get bored ill be able to spice things up a little!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones