Incredible, just about uselessGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Evil Sports

Evil Sports Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In the sun light, Especially with Polarized glasses. I cant see the screen at all. Its just about useless in the sun.
    End Rant:mad:

Advertisement
  2. pman219

pman219 Well-Known Member

Do you by any chance have a zagg screen protector installed ?

3. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

It's dark but I can see mine at least well enough to answer a call.

4. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

Shouldn't polarized glasses theoretically help? Since they cut down on reflected light (i.e. the sun).

5. danielevans83

danielevans83 Well-Known Member

This isn't a problem with the Incredible, but a known problem with any phone with an AMOLED display. If you didn't know what that was you should have done a quick Google search before buying the phone.

If I turn my screen brightness to max I can see it and use it in sunlight, not sure why anyone else wouldn't be able to.

6. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

7. JETC

JETC Well-Known Member

Lol...and you are surprised by this? You should've done research that the screen that HTC used for the phone is not good under sun. I can still somewhat see it under sun as well but yeah...it's funny how people complain afterward when they didn't do research buying the product. tsk..tsk..tsk.

jj3699 likes this.
  8. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Mine works better in direct light with the auto brightness on.

9. griswolds53

griswolds53 Well-Known Member

clairvue anti-glare screen protector, with the brightness turned up. it is more than bearable. now, the anti-glare does mess with the screen when viewed normally. gives it a bit of "haze" look. it is worth it though...

10. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

Honestly this is my only complaint about the phone. I find turning up the brightness to the max usually solves the problem. It's really when the brightness its set to the lowest setting when I generally have problems

11. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

Many LCD screens and the AMOLED screen on the Inc are also polarized. The degree of interference depends on the orientation of the polarization of your glasses and the screen. If the polarization patterns are parallel, you're good, but if they are at right angles to each other the light is blocked.

For my Inc and the polarized Oakleys that I wear, the clearest orientation of the Inc is to have the top of the phone between 10 and 11 o'clock. Turning the phone 90 degrees either way blocks the screen totally. This is independent of the screen brightness, BTW.

The interference with polarized sunglasses and these screens is a common complaint. In my experience, I have had issues reading the display on my Sirius radio, the radio controls in a Ford Mustang and our Garmin GPS units.

Just take a pair of polarized glasses to your local Best Buy and experiment on the flat screen TV's there. It's amazing to me how there is little consistency in the direction that the screens are polarized.

ttamnedlog likes this.
  12. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

Get an EVO or wait for the Galaxy S. Otherwise, kwitcherbitchin.

13. IcedTC

IcedTC Well-Known Member

Think of the incredible as a small computer...if you take your laptop outside into direct sunlight its also tough to see. I can see my screen enough to make calls etc but like any other device with a screen direct sunlight will always cause problems.

Find some shade!

14. Evil Sports

Evil Sports Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I can buy any phone I want, when a better one comes out I will get it. This phone is the best in its class NOW but it sucks in the sun. And If I want to bitch Im gonna bitch, You can read it or not. Thanks to the people that mentioned the brightness settings, I will try that in about an hour on my Honda Aquatrax.

15. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the clairvue anti-glare? I've seen the Boxwave anti-glare and it looks very nice.

16. rickhz

rickhz Member

I tried to use mine to take a photo in the AZ sun yesterday. At first I couldn't even tell that the phone was on:eek:. Finally was able to see the screen well enough to grab a shot.

Attached Files:

17. milnivlek

milnivlek Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is the well-known major flaw of current AMOLED screens. Other recent HTC phones have had the same problem. Fortunately, it looks like the new generation of screens ("Super AMOLED") will rectify this issue to a large degree. But it's too late for the Incredible, sadly.

18. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I have this issue with every phone I have ever seen in direct sun. OLED LCD whatever it is. With the Inc in direct sunlight and set to max brightness I can see enough to make due. Having a dark wallpaper helps as the higher contrast between light and dark helps legibility.

19. MobileDoggy

MobileDoggy Banned

Ah the uneducated....

There is no difference in readability in sunlight between AMOLED and LCD displays. I have used TFT LCD screened phones for years before my Inc and they were no easier to read in sunlight.

You just have to laugh when you see someone post "well known major flaw". Where is the flaw when TFT LCDs are no better?

You cant makeup information and pretend it is real.

20. MobileDoggy

MobileDoggy Banned

Ive used many many phones in the past including the iphone, Eris, LG Dare, ect and they were no easier to read in sunlight. Im not sure why some people are so mind warped into believe that AMOLED is flawed in the sun? Its quite amazing how some peoples minds can easily be manipulated.

21. AJF

AJF Member

I agree with you ( I just wish you didn't title this thread as you did because it sounds like you're condemning the entire phone). I think this and the poor stock battery performance are the only truly universal complaints that people can and do have with the phone. And I find it condescending when people blame you for "not doing your research" . You can do all the research you want, you really don't know how ANY device works until you buy it and use it yourself.

bjanow likes this.
  22. milnivlek

milnivlek Well-Known Member

I don't know what TFT LCDs you've used before, but this is hardly a made-up issue. Just check reviews and discussions of AMOLED screens, and you'll find similar observations being made over and over again.

Granted, virtually every kind of display will suffer significant degradation in readability under direct sunlight--but at least with most LCDs you can still vaguely make out what's being shown. With most OLED and AMOLED screens, the display often becomes little more than a reflective mirror, i.e. nearly completely unusable. I've seen this difference myself with side-by-side comparisons of many phones; you can undoubtedly do your own tests at a cell phone store.

Progress has been made, of course. With the Incredible, the screen isn't so bad when you turn it up to maximum brightness. And, as mentioned, the new "Super AMOLED" screens are supposed to be a major breakthrough as far as this sunlight issue is concerned. But the point is that it's factually inaccurate to claim that this has not been a well-recognized problem with this display technology.

23. MobileDoggy

MobileDoggy Banned

You see it quite easy for me to spot people making up things when they have absolutely no relation to the topic at hand. For example it was quite easy to see you have never even touched the Inc or many other phones out there otherwise you would have known there is no difference in readability and would have no posted the misinformation that you posted. I loved how you called it a "well known major flaw". I just had to laugh because if that was a major flaw then EVEN screen out there would be flawed and defective. Too funny IMO.

24. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

I disagree. You can sugercoat it all you want. AMOLED simply sucks in daylight. I have a Motorola backflip and an HTC Incredible. Inc is better indoors but simply sucks compared to the backflip outdoors. The difference is literally night-n-day. I knew this when i bought the phone.

25. mrspeedmaster

mrspeedmaster Well-Known Member

Here is a comparison. HTC INc at full brightness against a low-end Motorola android phone.

Attached Files:

cosmicreality and AJF like this.