Incredible lights up on its own when not in useSupport

Last Updated:

1. jacob083

jacob083 New Member This Topic's Starter

Aside from the other issues I've been having with my Incredible since the OTA 2.2 update, over the last few days I've noticed my phone has been randomly lighting up on its own, as if I'm hitting the button on top. I haven't installed any new apps recently that I can think of that would cause this. I've tried searching around for anybody else having this same problem, but have been unsuccessful so far. Has anybody else seen anything like this happening, or maybe an app that was recently updated that may be causing it? It's not really a huge issue, I'm just concerned it may get unlocked in my pocket and cause me to start pocket dialing people. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. pkmn760

pkmn760 Well-Known Member

titanium backup wakes up my phone when its trying to back up,

might be a program trying to sync

3. kkl1993

kkl1993 Well-Known Member

that is weird. the only time my screen lights up is when i get a call or text. did you factory reset after updating your phone to FROYO 2.2? nearly everything should be fixed if you did a factory reset. if you read through the past threads since FROYO came out, many people say factory resetting your phone solves many problem.

4. x_Prozak_x

x_Prozak_x Well-Known Member

I use mine as a clock at night, and there are times where it will go from the screen saver mode on my clock to full brightness. Drives me NUTS because it usually wakes me up. There were times where it was doing it four times an hour, but if I turned the screen off, it wouldnt do it again. The only time it happened is when my screen was still on in the clock mode.

5. jacob083

jacob083 New Member This Topic's Starter

I don't have titanium backup installed on my phone, but my best guess would be it is an app trying to sync or something. I did do a factory reset to my phone, but I'm still having issues with lag (especially when typing), and the screen not rotating very quickly on certain things, primarily the stock messaging app. I will admit though the factory reset did help a bit, but it's just not running nearly as well as it did on 2.1. A verizon rep told me they are working on a patch for 2.2, so I'm being patient and trying not to complain too much about it.

6. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

I actually noticed one night that my phone lit up on it's own (as you said, almost as if I hit the power button to wake it). Thought it was odd so I hit the button to blank the screen and it did it about 15 seconds later. That's the only time I've seen it happen. I believe that morning when I went to wake the phone, it didn't ask me for my password. Checked it a couple times over the course of 30 minutes so something was preventing the phone from locking. That was an isolated instance as I haven't experienced any of that since. FWIW, I did a factory reset shortly after installing 2.2 because I was having a lot of sluggishness. Now, I didn't do a complete wipe of the internal storage. When prompted, I chose just the system files.

I am also seeing issues with lag, not so much with the keyboard but the home screen. I am using LP so I'm also seeing the rotation issues. Sometimes when I wake the phone, it's in landscape mode even though I'm holding it upright (portrait style) and there does tend to be a delay in rotating it back. I'd say for all the good that 2.2 brought us, we desparately need a patch.

7. irishjoeyo

irishjoeyo Well-Known Member

I have been experiencing this problem since the November OTA, which I installed manually because my Dinc is rooted. Many times throughout the day, the screen will light up, as if I pushed the top button, then the screen shuts off a couple of seconds later. No updates ever come through during these seemingly random screen-ons.

I've also been experiencing an issue similar to the one described above by kyler13. My phone seems to default to landscape mode now, even when it would seem that it should be in portrait. Not a big issue, but pretty annoying.

I did do a factory reset after the 2.2 update, but not after the November update.