Incredible on Alltel grandfathered plansGeneral

Last Updated:

1. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Obviously, we're all with Verizon, or we wouldn't have the Incredible. I'm wondering how many of you are in my situation though. Thought it might be interesting to see if it has any bearing on the signal strength/battery life issues that some see.

I'm a grandfathered Alltel planholder. I now have the Incredible, but it's still on the Alltel SmartChoice plan, and more importantly has the Alltel PRL (40063 as of today), which means that in most cases it will prefer the Alltel towers over the Verizon towers.

I've been very happy with signal strength, battery life, etc. One thing that's different (at least in my area... Appleton, WI) is that all the Alltel towers are on the 850 MHz band, while all the Verizon towers are on the 1900 MHz (PCS) band. Historically, the 850 MHz band gives better coverage/signal than PCS in terms of how close you need to be to the tower, due to the longer wavelength of the 850 MHz signal.

Just wondering if there might be a parallel between signal strength issues (specifically on the Incredible) and which band (850 or 1900) we might be on. At least in my case, all has been great. Any other Alltel refugees out there care to comment?

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

FWIW, the users in the "Motorola Droid" forum were posting about tower/reception/service issues, coming over from Alltel. You may find some helpful info by searching "Alltel" in there.

3. answerman

answerman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good to know. I want to make it clear that I'm having no issues at all... in fact I may be doing better than a lot of users here as far as signal strength/battery. I was more tossing this out to the Incredible users here to see if it seems to be true for the Alltel PRL vs the Verizon PRL (and yes, I realize that it makes a difference where you are geographically). At least in my area, the former Alltel towers have a much stronger footprint than the Verizon towers.

4. teufeltexan

teufeltexan Well-Known Member

I am an Alltel grandfathered Incredible user.

I also have the PRL 40063, and have excellent coverage. I work in a metal building and hover anywhere from -59 to -65 within the station (actually a -54 as I'm typing, and that's the lowest I've ever seen..)

At home, however, I hover between -95 and -101. It's only about 1.5 miles away but I've noticed poor reception there with my past 3 or 4 phones...

I have no clue what band my local towers operate on (EDIT: Just did some searching and verified we are 850MHz - there are actually emitters listed from 824 - 865 MHz on this mast and I can't determine which are which) , but I can say my Incredible offers a slight edge in coverage versus my previous Palm Touch Pro (one of my frequent trips is about an hour one-way which has included a 3 dead spots with every phone I've ever owned - been making this trip several times a week since the early 90s. With the Inc I can talk and surf data throughout the entire trip...). It's also identical to my wife's Moto Droid in terms of db every time I've checked (within 2-5 db, sometimes higher, sometimes lower than the Moto).

All in all, very happy with the phone. I'll probably spring for the 2150 batt when they release, but I work 24 hour shifts. I don't seem to have any problem making it through a "normal" day with the stocker.

5. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Alltel smartchoice here with the same prl as you guys. No issues for me really, I mean its easy to kill the battery but if usage matches my storm they are neck and neck so....
    Good to recognize another Alltel hofo'r answerman. Didn't think you'd give up winmo so fast ;)