Incredible overheat just sitting thereSupport

Last Updated:

1. c_aus

c_aus Disabled This Topic's Starter

The battery life on my Incredible is starting to get a bit low so I decided to charge it for a bit at my office. Upon plugging it in, I noticed the notification LED was flashing in an alternating green/amber. Doing a quick search, I learned this is an indication it is overheating. No special apps were being used at the time, but I went ahead and powered it off and pulled the battery for a bit.

Upon re-inserting the battery, I downloaded Spare Parts from the market and it indicates the battery is still in overheat, but has a temperature of -49.4 degrees C. That is pretty freaking cold. But, I still cannot charge my device.

If it makes any difference, I'm using the Seidio 1750 extended battery. Any thoughts out there?

Advertisement
  2. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member

I made an app called "Battery Detective".. its in the Market. It monitors temp also and will notify you if it gets hot. It wont tell you what is making it hot, but it'll warn you.

3. c_aus

Thanks, I've gone ahead and downloaded that and it is reporting a -56.9F temperature.

4. kenyu73

That's very interesting! I'm wondering if the temp sensor is in the battery and the one you have is bad... must be.

5. kenyu73

It's a good thing I added a temp <=0 check or it would have never even reported... I'm going to add a special error message of temp < 0 as it should never report that (unless you leave it in the freezer!)

if(fltTemp >= TEMP_THRESHOLD_F || temp <= 0){
    }

6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Yeah, it sounds like the temp sensor in the battery is bad...

Try putting the stock battery back in and see if it works correctly.

7. c_aus

Going to try that when I get home. Already requested an RMA from Seidio since it takes them a few days to reply.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

8. c_aus

It's definitely the Seidio battery. I put the stock battery in as soon as I got home and it is also charging with no problems.

9. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

You are not the first to have this problem. I remember reading either on this forum or another, that someone had the same flashing light telling them that the phone was overheating. Swapped the batteries back to the stock, and everything worked fine for them as well.

10. MedfordMan

MedfordMan Well-Known Member

I just had this problem (amber/green alternating lights). I guess I can't play Homerun Battle 3D while the phone is on the charger.....

11. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

the only time my DInc got warm was when I played Air Control for 3 hours.

12. TrumpetMan

TrumpetMan Well-Known Member

My Inc was very hot last night when it was attached to my PC; I thought there was something wrong with the phone or battery. I plugged it into the wall and it charged without any problems or overheating. Not sure why that happened while connected to my PC.

13. sail4fun201

sail4fun201 Well-Known Member

This happens with my incredible off and on using the extended battery.

14. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

My Incredible overheats easily too. Also, I use the battery indicator pro app but there is a free version too, it tells you the temp and battery life, like if it's good or bad or needs replacing(like a macbook battery), also it gives you the % of the batt life and you can color the battery, just a neat app.