• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Incredible+Root Vs. DX+Root

ssick92

Android Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2010
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
So I have been thinking of trading my Incredible + a little bit of money for a Droid X, mostly because the bigger screen and better battery life are a huge plus for me. But I have some questions first.

1. Is the Droid X root very limited? I know the bootloader is locked so what does that prevent Droid X Root users from doing that I can currently do on my rooted Inc?

2. Would you guys recommend that I move up to the Droid X or stick with my Incredible?

Thanks in advance.

I liked my Incredible, but I love my Droid X. It is better in most areas.

Sense UI definately looks more polished, but with another home screen like LaucherPro, it becomes a non issue.

Only thing you can't do with a rooted X is install full blown custom non-signed ROMs, like CM7. All the various ROMs that work with the DX all started life as the official update (or leak) at one point. So you'll find updated ROMs with stuff added, or some bloat deleted, but no ground up releases.

Upvote 0
I think it just depends on what you consider limited, and also who you ask.
You've already cited the main difference between X hacking vs. hacking for your Inc, and that's the locked bootloader.

From my current understanding all ROMs for the X have to be based off Motorola's original ROM(s) since only ROMs which have Moto's bootloader will run, otherwise it just won't work/boot/run/whatever. That also means you have to use the kernel that Motorola includes with their stock ROM. Normally on devices with unlocked bootloaders you can flash another kernel to change voltages and things like that, it's usually tweaked per battery life and stability.

Even though custom ROMs for the X are based off Motorola's originals, they are drastically different, especially from a GUI standpoint. The main two ROMs I've run, GummyJar and Liberty, are both without Moto's Blur and run beautifully. I also get better battery life on custom ROMs, not to say I didn't already get good battery before I rooted. I just always felt like Moto's Froyo Blur was slowing my DX down, and ROMs really set it free in so many ways, no more lag and better battery life.

Personally for me I've been able to do everything I've wanted, hacking-wise, with my DX. I know there are hacking purists out there who don't even want to bother with phones that have locked bootloaders. Though for my needs, the DX hacking scene has worked out fine. Especially now that there is a copy of Moto's Gingerbread, once the dev community gets working on Gingerbread ROMs we will see some great things.

You do mention you'd like the bigger screen and better battery life. How long does a normal charge last you on your Inc.? My DX lasts me through the day easily though I don't have much auto-syncing other that a few gmail accounts. I do use it moderately for other 3G data though.

Sorry if this post explains things you may already know, but I hope it helps! :)

Upvote 0
Yeah my Inc on one charge will last through the day on almost even heavy use days. I guess I don't really NEED better battery life because if I charge it every night I have no issues, however it would be nice to have to not worry about my phone not working the next day if I happen to forget to plug it in.

Thanks for your help guys, 2 very informative posts for me to consider.

I don't use Sense UI so that really doesn't matter. LPP baby!

Upvote 0
Well, I for one have never gotten away without charging my DX overnight. I've heard of some who say they can... all I can say is they don't use their phone nearly as much as I do. I have an extended battery and I killed off completely in about 8 hours. That was after very heavy use.

I also have to mention that I'm on gingerROOT and was overclocked to 1.2 ghz. Oh and my screen was on full blast because I was outside most of the day.

Upvote 0
I have a DInc and a Droid X, and I think the Incredible is still a better phone. The Inc feels smoother operating, more rooting friendly as far as roms and kernels go, and feels better in the hand (the X is very noticeable in my pants pocket). The X's battery does seem to be a little bit better, but only by maybe an hour or so in my experiences, and that's with running 800MHz min, 1100MHz max on CM7 and pretty heavy use on the incredible

Upvote 0
Would you say the bigger screen is a lot nicer? Potentially a game-breaker?

Nicer? Not necessarily, especially if you have an ADR6300VW2 (AMOLED version). I have an SLCD model (ADR6300VW3) and I think the screen still looks better than the X as far as colors and
That being said, I do like the extra real estate on the X since I have large fingers. I won't say the screen is a game-breaker, but it does play a factor in usability and comfort. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Having the locked bootloader and all is annoying, but our devs do great work with the Moto kernel. It's not even that bad, though some little things (like 10% battery increments) are annoying.

Other than that, it's very similar. Plus I hear cvpcs is working on CM7 and can get it to boot - but not much else. And, to be honest, the new blur is so good I don't even miss Rubix (though I do get nostalgic sometimes :/)

Upvote 0
With all the recent treads, discussions about moto and other companies locking down and clamping down on rooting I don't really know what the future will hold. I am running stock rom on my DX right now. The stock launcher absolutely sucks on the DX. The dincs sense blows it away. That said I have always used Launcher pro (started with my OG droid) and no matter stock, rooted, overclocked or underclocked LP makes the DX run like a hot knife though butter. The dinc runs just as smooth with LP so to me it came down to the screen size. DX is a bit cumbersome in the pocket but I find myself hardly ever pulling out my laptop at night since the phone is so nice and easy to navigate and read. The dinc is not small but it is more along the lines of my OG droid which was more of a phone than a multi media device.

All this being said, and having both the dinc and X I would not trade the dinc for the X if any money or upgrade contracts were involved. They are just too close. The dinc with the sedio extended battery and the X with the extended battery both do the job for me but the edge has to go with the x. When I was rooted and running a clocking program I would easily make it through a couple of days.

Upvote 0
Well, I forgot I had made this thread, and forgot to inform everyone that about 5 days after my last post, I went ahead and did an even trade for a Droid X. Rooted it, now running the gingerbread .595 leak, and I will never go back to the dinc. This thing is great. Runs as smoothly as the Dinc, with a much larger/brighter screen and with much better battery life.
Though if I still had the Dinc, I would probably be just as happy with it since that thing flew.

Upvote 0
I have a DInc and a Droid X, and I think the Incredible is still a better phone. The Inc feels smoother operating, more rooting friendly as far as roms and kernels go, and feels better in the hand (the X is very noticeable in my pants pocket). The X's battery does seem to be a little bit better, but only by maybe an hour or so in my experiences, and that's with running 800MHz min, 1100MHz max on CM7 and pretty heavy use on the incredible

why on Earth would you run an 800mhz min clock speed?...that is just entirely overkill...there is just no need for it...

Nicer? Not necessarily, especially if you have an ADR6300VW2 (AMOLED version). I have an SLCD model (ADR6300VW3) and I think the screen still looks better than the X as far as colors and
That being said, I do like the extra real estate on the X since I have large fingers. I won't say the screen is a game-breaker, but it does play a factor in usability and comfort. :rolleyes:

better colors? debatable...certainly higher contrast...but one could easily argue that the DInc's screen is terribly over saturated...

Well, I forgot I had made this thread, and forgot to inform everyone that about 5 days after my last post, I went ahead and did an even trade for a Droid X. Rooted it, now running the gingerbread .595 leak, and I will never go back to the dinc. This thing is great. Runs as smoothly as the Dinc, with a much larger/brighter screen and with much better battery life.
Though if I still had the Dinc, I would probably be just as happy with it since that thing flew.

im glad you like the X....both the X and Dinc are awesome devices...

Upvote 0
I liked my Incredible, but I love my Droid X. It is better in most areas.

Sense UI definately looks more polished, but with another home screen like LaucherPro, it becomes a non issue.

Only thing you can't do with a rooted X is install full blown custom non-signed ROMs, like CM7. All the various ROMs that work with the DX all started life as the official update (or leak) at one point. So you'll find updated ROMs with stuff added, or some bloat deleted, but no ground up releases.
umm the CM7 I use on my ascend is signed ;) that all depends on the dev.

Upvote 0
Look at it this way. ANY phone out of the box is gonna suck until you tweak it out to your liking. Everyone's preferences are different. What I like you may not like and vise versa. All though I have no basis of comparison because I've never used a Dinc, personally, I love my DX.

While we may not have an unlocked boot loader, we can still do plenty with the X. Comparing it to "out of the box", flashing GB was the best thing I or anyone could do to the DX. All I can really offer for advice would be get an X and play with it. You may be overjoyed with what you can get it to do or you may not. But you won't know until you get an X.

Upvote 0
Just making sure man......:p I've been sick (with the flu or a really bad cold) for the past 3 days and I wasn't sure if I was reading things correctly or if I was just imagining things :D:D:D

i hope its not that heart disease that killed you in the future, thats why trunks came back to give you the antidote.... i see you have forgotten about it already.... tsk tsk tsk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones