• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Incredible Rooter Windows App

mDaWg

Lurker
May 4, 2010
I posted this over at XDA so i figured I'd put it up here too.

I wrote this basic little application to help out those who are either afraid of the command prompt or simply just don't want to deal with it. Drop it in the same folder as adb and run it.

Feel free to leave feedback or contact me with any questions/comments.

http://incredible.groove2.net/IncredibleRooter.zip

If people decide they like this, I will continue development and add some new features to it.

Check out the Readme.txt for more information and detailed explanations.

Reactions: ig88 and ssandler
Thanks for the app, but it still doesn't work. It never gets into adb shell while in recovery. I've now, unsuccessfully, tried every method out there right now. I've used 3 computers and still can't get past the first big step. There must be something else to try. I even edited my driver file. Has anyone figured out why some of the DIs won't root?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the app, but it still doesn't work. It never gets into adb shell while in recovery. I've now, unsuccessfully, tried every method out there right now. I've used 3 computers and still can't get past the first big step. There must be something else to try. I even edited my driver file. Has anyone figured out why some of the DIs won't root?

+1 - I fail every time and I tried with 3 different SD cards. Hopefully, unrevoked comes out with the easier method. Until then, I will probably try all the methods another 30 to 40 times.:(

Upvote 0
Hey guys I too was having an "incredible" time trying to root my phone, several computers and several SD cards later I went back and tried to figure out why. I found that Drivers are really key. I went out and got the drivers for the device and made the changes to the INI like everybody has, this still didn't fix it.

For Me I ended up having to install and get HTC Sync working 100% first as the Android device was not showing up at all. Once that was fixed I updated the device that showed up with the new drivers I was talking about above. I then just booted into recover by using the vol down power to get into recovery, then vol down power and just keep holding until you get the ! This allowed the device to show up in device manager.

If you don't see it in device manager, is not going to work. So I guess to make my long story short, make it work outside of recovery mode, adjust the driver INI, replace the driver in windows, and then try the vol down power to get into recovery. Make sure it shows in Device manager, then you got all the time in the world and it doesn't even seem to matter what SD card you use as I tried this with several just to test.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I too was having an "incredible" time trying to root my phone, several computers and several SD cards later I went back and tried to figure out why. I found that Drivers are really key. I went out and got the drivers for the device and made the changes to the INI like everybody has, this still didn't fix it.

For Me I ended up having to install and get HTC Sync working 100% first as the Android device was not showing up at all. Once that was fixed I updated the device that showed up with the new drivers I was talking about above. I then just booted into recover by using the vol down power to get into recovery, then vol down power and just keep holding until you get the ! This allowed the device to show up in device manager.

If you don't see it in device manager, is not going to work. So I guess to make my long story short, make it work outside of recovery mode, adjust the driver INI, replace the driver in windows, and then try the vol down power to get into recovery. Make sure it shows in Device manager, then you got all the time in the world and it doesn't even seem to matter what SD card you use as I tried this with several just to test.

Would you mind doing a step by step of this ?
And also explain in more detail how you adjusted the driver INI ?

TYIA

Upvote 0
After looking carefully, I found that my HTC Sync wasn't working properly. I fixed it and got into adb shell while the phone was turned on. Then I tried doing the process and it still didn't work. After that, my HTC Sync didn't work again. There is something screwy for sure going on with the drivers.

I'm running a windows 7 netbook.

Upvote 0
I noticed on both of my computers that it came down to windows "installing drivers" for 5 or so of the devices of the phone. It would be after one attempt and it only installed android 1.0.

Before I could root, I needed to install htc sync off the internal memory mounted to my computer and the usb drivers 1.3 for the sdk.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Would you mind doing a step by step of this ?
And also explain in more detail how you adjusted the driver INI ?

TYIA

I agree, would someone that has "edited" the drivers care to explain this process, because there are a lot of us out there that no matter what we do we just can't get this to work. I've seen a lot of talk about editing drivers, but no one explain how. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
I agree, would someone that has "edited" the drivers care to explain this process, because there are a lot of us out there that no matter what we do we just can't get this to work. I've seen a lot of talk about editing drivers, but no one explain how. Thanks in advance.

Irish, have you bought one of the PNY sd cards. As soon as I tried to root with the PNY card, I immediately knew something was different as far as the drivers go. Something weird too, I noticed I could only get adb in recovery once per computer boot. So if I want to get back I MUST reboot my computer, if not, I keeping getting "device not found". I've also read Kingston sd cards work too, it seems the more generic the company, the more like you are to root...

Upvote 0
i dont understand the driver change part???

I can't even find the .inf in the sdk. How do you get them and what exactly will device manager have in it when they are correct? I was able to get the bootloader device (I think that was it) when plugging in the phone during the root procedure. Everything looked like the video except it never rooted :(

What pisses me off is it looks so easy!

Upvote 0

I do see it on recovery but it has error code 28 (whatever that means) Does yourshave that? Also other have said to REMOVE HTC sync completely LOL

I'm thinking it's because my driver has error 28 after booting to recovery that is stopping me. Before I boot to recovery the drivers are fine and I can boot from a command line so I know they are working but after the reboot their hosed.:thinking: I try updating the drivers at this point but window doesn't find any. So what driver do I use there?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones