Incredible screen shattered - now what?Support

Last Updated:

1. jusdebbie

jusdebbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Please advise... My phone is 2 months old so clearly im not due for the new every 2. I am always so cautious with my phones. Had a verizon case on. Been a verizon customer since it was Cellular One. DONT HAVE INSURANCE because its such an extra added monthly expense. We have 3 phones, pay $200/month to Verizon Wireless. Unfortuantely, as i had read, the Incredible is way delicate and it dropped maybe 18 inches and boom its history. Do you guys suggest anything to get a replacement? Do you think they will work with me if i handle the situation in any specific way? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

3. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

Yea you either get it fixed or buy a new one, thats about it.

But I wonder...if its only the glass screen thats cracked and everything else is fine, if you could buy a dummy phone (if it has a glass screen) and try and replace it that way?

4. elborak

elborak Well-Known Member

I certainly wouldn't characterize it that way. I've dropped mine a few times with no problem.

Is it more delicate than many other phones? Sure. As is any phone with a large screen. It's no more delicate (from my experience) than any similar phone.

5. x0x

x0x Well-Known Member

^ Agreed. Thin glass is delicate regardless of where/how it is used. Having your phone survive in a fall seems to be a luck-of-the-draw sort of thing depending on how it lands and the mood of the cell phone gods at that particular time. I have relatively good luck, but I have insurance too just in case it runs out.

6. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member

I had a chocolate way back when and I busted the screen being careless [read: drunk]. Didn't have insurance so I was all bummed out, but went into the VZW store anyway. For $50 they sent me a refurb. They said insurance only covers stuff like water damage and lost/stolen phones. Do they not do this with the Incredible?

7. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

I was confused. I thought you busted your screen because you were eating chocolate. :eek:

8. JA1234

JA1234 Well-Known Member

I had a moto droid I dropped that thing five or six times even one very hard fall due to play fighting with my 16 yo....well never a single issue screen wise..body had some scratches... had a HTC ARIA all of two weeks and dropped while setting out by the pool and screen shattered... lucky for me ins will cover it

if I didnt have ins. I would just by a screen and hit up youtube for instructions on how to replace it. the one for my aria is about 90 bucks or so the incredible should not be much more.. it will void the warranty if you do it yourself, so you may want to check in store and see what the tech says it will cost..

9. freddyttt

freddyttt Well-Known Member

Its luck of the draw. it all depends on where the phone hits when it hits the ground. people who get these phones must get Ins.

good luck-

10. dcladylaw

dcladylaw Member

I feel your pain; mine just got destroyed after an incident by a pool this weekend and I just sold it for parts and bought a new one (the last one in stock at any local Best Buys!...had to get up early this morning to snag it so I wouldn't be phoneless).

11. cartisdm

cartisdm Well-Known Member

Ugh, how did you luck out on that one? I've been waiting over a week and still have 3 to go :eek: I tried calling every place around here but finally stopped doing that because they always seem pissed when I ask

12. dcladylaw

dcladylaw Member

I checked Best Buy last night and they showed that one out in Virginia had stock. I live in Maryland but I went there first thing this morning on my way to work (unfortunately didn't open until 10am so I had to hang out). There were like 10 people in line waiting for them to open today and fortunately none of them were there for the Droid Inc. The guy didn't think they had any but when he checked there was one left in their "vault". I am definitely grateful...my other option was just ordering off of ebay or maybe Wirefly and getting the fastest shipping I could. Check BestBuy's website regularly maybe one will pop up near you.

13. jusdebbie

I managed to get a replacement! However, once i loaded everything on this Incredible like my other one was i have lots less memory. My other one would start at power on (after task killer) just over 200 and get down to maybe 170. This one goes down to like 140 and with task killer it still just gets to like 160. Do you think this is an issue? Is there anything i can look into to see if its taking up the space? Thanks for any thoughts.

14. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

You "managed to get a replacement" and didn't tell us how? Come on, out with it.

15. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Get rid of the task killer, and don't worry about the memory. Android will manage it just fine.

Also, the Inc is hardly fragile. Some guy on here dropped his off his bike at 40MPH and it was fine.

16. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member

I've dropped mine from about waist height (i'm 6') onto a hard surface before. The plastic case popped off, but no damage to phone. If you don't have a case for your phone, that's a step in the right direction.

17. jusdebbie

Bjanow...I have been a loyal Verizon customer and got the email address of the apparent CEO's office. I explained my situation honestly and told of my history with them and in short asked for a favor back in return for all my business. I approcahed it very nicely and luckily they recieved it well!

Sabrewings...OK i wont worry about the memory!

I am so careful with my phones. Of course, my phones have fallen before and been dropped but maybe i was lucky then. This time it literally just fell a short distance and completely shattered. I didnt hit it with a hammer, drive over it, drop a rock on it... or anything of the sort! It was a simple fall. Im not trying to say its overly delicate, just staing what happened and that i have never had this happen before.

Ecks...I had the case on!

18. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I'm glad you reported that as I had a feeling that's what you did. I have no doubt they would do the same for any loyal customer with a good payment history. Great news.

19. jbass350z

jbass350z Well-Known Member