• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible Tips and Tricks

I'm having a Contacts/People issue. I use Gmail and synced all my contacts from there to my phone. They now show up in the People app. When I sync my Facebook account including contacts, I get a list of all my Facebook contacts that have phone numbers in their profile when I bring up the phone dialer. I DO NOT want all these people showing up in the dialer but I want to be synced with Facebook so that the contacts I have from Gmail can be linked to their Facebook profile for pictures, etc. Does anyone know how to remove certain Facebook contacts from the dialer list? I found that I can sync Facebook without the contacts but then I can not link my Gmail contacts to their Facebook profile. Hope this all makes sense.

In "People" click menu>view

From there you should be able to uncheck "facebook" and check gmail. I have some gmail contacts with just email addresses, so I checked "only show contacts with phone numbers at the top"

Is that what you're asking for? hope I could help

Reactions: JoyDickey
Upvote 0
And now my question:

In my people, i had only gmail contacts with phone numbers, and today i added a contact. He didnt show up in there until i changed it to allow "phone" contacts as well. Hes there now, but how do i get the people I add from my phone into gmail contacts? I want them to sync back to gmail so hes in my global gmail contacts too...

Thanks

Upvote 0
MoPhoMan, can you continue to do what you are doing with the first post like what is listed below. I am just saying that I am new to android (and probably many others as well) and will be having alot of questions in the near future. I love this thread so far, keep it up.

Question?
Answer?

My two open questions that I need help with:

Question:
is there a way to turn off the notifications on top, dont need the new email/new message icons since they already show up on the bottom in the particular widget with a number
Answer:

Question:
can someone please advise how I should set up gmail correctly on the incredible. Sometimes the new mail notifiction icon on the top of the screen displays "new mail" before I get the number 1,2,,etc on the bottom on the mail widget.
Answer:

YES...as the answers come in I will try and move them up top...wow you are all keeping me on my toes! I love the challenge. Keep the great info rolling in! :D

Upvote 0
My menu (home, menu, back, zoom) lights are only on occasionaly and then for only seconds. How do I get them to stay on when the phone is active? I noticed on a youtube video they were unlit on the phone but I would prefer them lit.

There's a response up on this same page answering that question tho don't remember who answered it. The answer, tho, is that because there's a light sensor on the phone and maybe it's brightly lit where you're at that the light sensor isn't letting the buttons light up the same way it automatically turns off the backlighting when you're outside (or at least it did on my Eris droid).

Try putting a finger over the light sensor at the top of the phone next to the power button. If the buttons light up when pressed then you know that's the issue.

Upvote 0
So up under each favorite's picture (or icon) is a small box that has their name in it. If you have already established a default contact type (small phone, envelope, message or contact card should appear in the bottom right hand corner of the icon) and want to change it, click on that small name button and it brings up the list of all possible contact methods. You can pick another contact mehod just for that one instance, but the contact type you set up originally will remain. Once in that same list screen you can click Menu>More>Set Widget Action and choose the new contact type. It even has an option to view the contact which is what I like so that I can pick from the list every time without accidentally calling them if I don't hit the little button just right.

Hope this helps!:)

Yep...this is what caused me to call my dad at 2:30 am by mistake lol

Upvote 0
I'm finally trying to do a bit of customization here and have a couple issues I'm running to.

1. How do you change the style of clock that displays on the screen? I've noticed there are different variations depending on what scene you are using. My default theme is very minimal with almost zero widgets being used but I can't figure out how to change the standard large clock into the side by side analog clocks.

2. When I do have the side by side up in a certain scene where it is the default, it displays PST and Los Angeles time only. When I attempt to re-arrange these and get rid of one I can't. I'd prefer to display PST and something else -- not the same time zone in both clocks.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
In "People" click menu>view

From there you should be able to uncheck "facebook" and check gmail. I have some gmail contacts with just email addresses, so I checked "only show contacts with phone numbers at the top"

Is that what you're asking for? hope I could help

Not quite. I already have the People app set up this way so that I only see my gmail contacts. However, when I open the phone dialer and get the list of contacts behind it I get all my gmail contacts PLUS all the Facebook contacts that were synced (anyone that I am friends with on Facebook that has a phone number is displayed here). I was asking if anyone knew of a way to remove those Facebook contacts that aren't my gmail contacts. Basically I don't need to search a list of hundreds of people that I knew from high school/college or whatever when all I want is my standard gmail contacts list.

Anyway, there is an entire thread dedicated to this now so I'll keep an eye out there but if anyone in here has a solution to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
1. How do you change the style of clock that displays on the screen? I've noticed there are different variations depending on what scene you are using. My default theme is very minimal with almost zero widgets being used but I can't figure out how to change the standard large clock into the side by side analog clocks.

I managed to do this by doing the following, maybe someone has an alternative / faster way.

1. Hold your finger on the current clock, drag down to the bottom to remove from the screen
2. press the + button at the bottom right of the screen
3. Press add widget
4. Select Analog Clock

You will now be presented with a ton of options for the clock interface

Upvote 0
Not quite. I already have the People app set up this way so that I only see my gmail contacts. However, when I open the phone dialer and get the list of contacts behind it I get all my gmail contacts PLUS all the Facebook contacts that were synced (anyone that I am friends with on Facebook that has a phone number is displayed here). I was asking if anyone knew of a way to remove those Facebook contacts that aren't my gmail contacts. Basically I don't need to search a list of hundreds of people that I knew from high school/college or whatever when all I want is my standard gmail contacts list.

Anyway, there is an entire thread dedicated to this now so I'll keep an eye out there but if anyone in here has a solution to this it would be greatly appreciated.

I've looked around and there doesn't appear to be any solution for this. As long as you have FB for HTC Sense configured they will show up in your dialer list. There's no way to filter them out like in the People app.

We have to deal with it.

Upvote 0
I've looked around and there doesn't appear to be any solution for this. As long as you have FB for HTC Sense configured they will show up in your dialer list. There's no way to filter them out like in the People app.

We have to deal with it.

In the meantime I have actually used GoogleContactSync , Google Contact Sync | Facebook , to sync up my google contact pics and stuff with facebook. It works to some degree depending on the privacy settings of the users.

Upvote 0
Heres an issue I was having, just wanted to post experience in case anyone else is dealing with it as well.

Exchange worked fine on 3G, but when I went onto Wifi it stopped syncing, and had to manually refresh. I didnt troubleshoot enough to realize that once i clicked refresh, emails seemed to start coming in again within a few seconds of receiving.

It seems to work fine going from WiFi to 3G, just not the other way around without restarting the exchange connection at least.

in case anyone else is having a similar problem

Reactions: sqlgeek
Upvote 0
Thank you Skunis1. I did check there websites and found the following.

AT&T email server settings are displayed in the table below. Use these to set up your email program (e.g., Outlook) for any AT&T email accounts.

Email Program Settings Field:Enter:Incoming (POP)pop.att.yahoo.comOutgoing (SMTP)smtp.att.yahoo.com
(requires authentication)Incoming mail server:POP3Incoming/Outgoing User Name:Full AT&T email address, including domain (e.g., test@att.net, test@bellsouth.net)Incoming mail port #:995, secure connection (SSL) checkedOutgoing mail port #465, secure connection (SSL) checked

Note: When updating the secure server settings, check the SSL check box first and then update the port number if necessary.

You are very welcome. :)

Upvote 0
Rabernet
When using the pre-installed alarm clock, for some reason, the default is to vibrate. Be sure to scroll down and un-check Vibrate so that it will actually ring for you. I learned the hard way - all three available alarms were defaulted to vibrate.

To get to alarm clock, tap your clock, then use the scroll bar at the bottom to get to the alarm clock.

Choose the alarm you plan to set. Underneath "Repeat", is where it's defaulted to vibrate.

THIS IS INCORRECT! That small checkmark is for whether to vibrate in ADDITION to ringing. I just tried it right now. The checkmark next to vibrate was checked and it still rang.

Hit the menu key when you are on the Alarm clock slide and you will see an option to change ringer volume and whether to play alarm if in silent mode. You probably had one of these off and thats why it did not work for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones