• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible to EVO

Howie

Android Expert
Oct 28, 2009
Central NY
I want to hear from those users that picked up the Sprint HTC EVO coming from Verizon's HTC Incredible. I have both right now and honestly can't decide which to keep. The only real differences are the screen, 4G (not in this area yet), front camera, and internal memory.

I had the incredible, then lost the vzw discount due to changing of employers. So we switched to sprint and now the the Evo. The prices are absolutely fair and the Evo itself is truly incredible (no pun intended LOL). The incredible is fantastic too. I do miss the optical trackpad, but I'll get over that. I thought that the Evo's screen would be pixelated because its bigger with the same resolution as the incredible, but surprisingly, its darn awesome. I actually think the Evo's screen is a tad bit sharper for some reason, as I compared them side by side yesterday. You really can't go wrong with either device.

Upvote 0
They are more or less the same handset except the EVO has a larger screen and 4G, and the front facing camera is nice also. I have owned both The Sprint unlimited plan includes more than verizons and is a about $5 cheaper per month. The ability of the INC to pull in a good signal was terrible! The larger screen of the EVO is what I really like better than the smallish one on the Incredible. The Incredible had a feeling to it that it was pushed to market to fast and not fully developed.

Upvote 0
I gave the EVO a whirl after being an Incredible user for a month. Honestly, the EVO's TFT screen compared to the Incredible's AMOLED screen is what made me switch back to the Incredible. The front facing camera is nice, but I don't and won't video chat. 4G isn't a strong selling point, yet. While both phones are the same, internally, and aside from the difference outlined above I wasn't impressed by the EVO. Maybe if I never used the AMOLED screen on the Incredible I might be swayed that "bigger is better" but the quality won out for me.

Upvote 0
I had the Incredible and returned it. Overall, I loved Android, the speed of the device, and the OLED screen was great. However, call quality was middling and Verizon's plan pricing is higher for less features. I ordered the EVO on launch day, so I should have it on Monday (just got the shipping notice).

The increased size of the screen, 4G, Sprint pricing plans, and the ability to upgrade to a new phone every year (on my Verizon plan, the data was an add-on, so I wasn't meeting the threshold for the yearly upgrade, but that won't be a problem on Sprint) convinced me to give Sprint a whirl.

I'm still keeping my LG Dare on Verizon during the Sprint trial period to see if Sprint works for me. The 30 day guarantee makes the decision to try Sprint a no brainer. By the time the 30 days are up, we should all know as to when the Moto Shadow/Xtreme will be out, and I'll make my final decision on whether to keep Sprint or stay with Verizon and get the Shadow/Xtreme.

Upvote 0
I want to hear from those users that picked up the Sprint HTC EVO coming from Verizon's HTC Incredible. I have both right now and honestly can't decide which to keep. The only real differences are the screen, 4G (not in this area yet), front camera, and internal memory.

Wouldn't this vary depending on where you are and the coverage available in that location......Not really sure where you were going with this?

Read the OP. He wants to hear from people that have used both devices, and I gave him one of my most important comparison metrics. Whether its hardware, coverage, or both, I get a materially better signal with the EVO. Considering the number of complaints about the Incredible's signal strength and call quality, its entirely relevant.

That's where I'm going with that.

Upvote 0
I had the Incredible for a few weeks. I had a Nexus One before that as well.
Liked the AMOLED screen, but it wasn't night and day better to me. Plus it was almost useless outside. The Evo so far has been usable outside.

The incredible speaker was really loud. When it was turned all the way, I still had to hold the phone away from my ear to talk. I don't know what was up with that.

Other than that, not a lot of major difference, given that Sense is the same, the CPU/speed were the same.

The biggest reason for me to switch was the incredible (no pun intended) savings to switch to Sprint. We moved four smart phones from AT&T (then to Verizon for a month) to Sprint. We are saving over $100 a month and picked up excellent phones along the way!

Upvote 0
Signal strength Incredible versus EVO side-by-side:

EVO: -74 dBm
Incredible: -94 dbm

In case you don't know, -74 is a significantly better signal strength than -94.

I actually noticed that as well. Incredible I have 1-2 bars and EVO I have a very strong full bars. They both broadcast from the same tower location here by the house and work. Not sure why that is, other than perhaps Incredible hardware issue(s). Especially surprising when Sprint only uses 1900 mhz and Verizon is mixes 1900 and 800 mhz (which should penetrate buildings better).

i think the front facing camera and video calling is the dealbreaker.

Why, you don't have to use it. It's just a feature like "Sprint TV" is which you can ignore as well.

Upvote 0

I've got them both too and your right, the only differences are what you listed but I'm getting ready to go play golf in a rural area today and I'm bring both phones to see what kind of signal I get.

Upvote 0
I've got both, and can't decide which one to keep also.

The Inc's LED screen has much more saturated colors (almost too saturated), which makes the EVO's screen look washed out when side by side. The EVO, however, is much more usable in sunlight.

In my area, I'm getting about 2mbps download on the Inc's 3G. On the EVO I'm getting about 4mbps on 4G, and 1.5 mbps on 3G. I live on the fringes of Baltimore's 4G network. Last night I went to the heart of the city and was getting 6mbps on 4G with the EVO.

Even though both phones have the same processor, The Inc. seems to be a bit faster when opening programs. Screen refreshes are also faster on the Inc.

I do miss the trackball on the EVO, but it is not a deal breaker.

One thing that really bugs me are the power and volume rocker switches on both phones. They are a bit too recessed, making it harder to use these controls. This is one area where Apple really did it right on the iPhone.

In my experience, reception is better on the EVO, on 3G, compared to the Inc. About an average of 10db.

So, at this point, I really can't decide which one to keep. I almost feel like returning both and re-activating my old Moto Star Tac. Too many choices.

Upvote 0
For me, if its really a tough decision here's what I'll do. I'll actually take a pen & piece of paper, and actually write down my pros & cons. Pros & cons for everything, hardware, software, network (in your area of course) and financial obligation. Then, make a decision. The key with this is, you've got to stick to it. I've got my Evo, & absolutely love the phone, its such a fantastic device. Every single device will have one or more drawbacks, however. Its just something you'll have to deal with. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones