Incredible Unlocks from using the menu button...Support

Last Updated:

1. Rulevoid

Rulevoid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So whenever I lock the screen, no matter what, I can just press the menu button to unlock the screen instead of sliding the bar down... Is that supposed to happen? Seems wrong to me.

Advertisement
  2. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

That is exactly what is supposed to happen.

3. Rulevoid

Why would anyone ever create a lock mechanism that can be easily bypassed by a simple press of a button on the screen? This is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. Not really, but its definitely dumb.

4. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

You actually have to hit two buttons, first the power button to turn on the screen and then the menu button. It seems like it would be pretty hard for this to randomly happen in your pocket or elsewhere. There are threads about this on the site, most people like it.

5. thelastdraco

thelastdraco Well-Known Member

those buttons are capacitive, so it doesn't really matter because its not like it will unlock itself in your pocket

6. Rulevoid

It's not that im worried about it unlocking in my pocket, but I am trying to figure out why anyone ever thought to have both the obvious screen unlock and also the menu button, I just don't understand from a design perspective.

7. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

It's called a short cut. Granted, it's not much more difficult to slide down the unlock bar. The blackberries I had in the past also had two ways to unlock, you can press the lock button again or the A key and then Talk.

8. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

One of the habits I'm having a hard time breaking coming from my iPhone is turning on the display with the "home" button (or, on the Incredible, by pressing down on the optical joystick).

Are there any ways (apps, settings, anything at all!) to make this turn on the display just as the unlock button at the top does? It would make the transition easier for people like myself.

9. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

the slide is not a lock. its there so basically you do not accidently turn your phone on for normal use. the lock is the pattern thingy.

10. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

So the "Screen Locked" and "Drag Down or Press Menu to Unlock" is just for decoration? It is a scren lock. The pattern lock is a full device lock that will not let you access anything.

11. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

blame Google, the menu to unlock has been on EVERY android phone

12. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

Right, this is to prevent an "accidental" pocket press of the power button that may lead to the phone staying on or pocket dials etc. As it has been said before, this isn't a "lock" .. it is just a "screen lock" aka not a "dont break into my phone" lock.

It's just like having the 'standby' feature on blackberries. It is there to A. prevent accidental keypresses, and B. to quickly notify you of messages or missed calls etc.

There have been times where i accidentally pocket unlocked my blackberry...this is a welcoming feature for me because if i accidentally press the power button in my pocket, i dont have to worry.

13. SysAdmNj

SysAdmNj Well-Known Member

I hope this isnt true if your device is password locked.

14. c_aus

c_aus Disabled

If it is password or pattern locked, you will not be able to access anything on the phone without entering the password/pattern. Other than make an emergency phone call.

SysAdmNj likes this.
  15. INTREPID-NY

INTREPID-NY Well-Known Member

And you can answer an incoming call without entering unlock pattern / password.