Incredible USB/TV-Out DemystifiedTips

Last Updated:

1. smokeynerd

smokeynerd New Member This Topic's Starter

I am posting this for information and to let people know what you will need if you want TV out before the cable is available for purchase

After looking closely inside the USB port on the side of my incredible I noticed 7 little pins at the back of the connector. I assumed they were for the Headset / TV-out but since no cables exist in stores yet I decided to make one and see if that was the case, also to see if the serial debug still exists. I did not have a headset handy to confirm the Mic and Switch inputs but I labeled them based on what I had found.

I have attached a pinout diagram as well as picture of the adapter I made to connect to the pins, sadly this is not an adapter you can make with your bare hands unless you have A LOT of time .

Sadly I do not have the pics of the TV out screen or a pic of it on my TV as I snapped the adapter board before I could get pics [​IMG] I made more than one board but dont have the spares here so screenshots will follow within a day or so.

If you have the capability to etch or machine a board I will can post a DXF file of it

Text Version of Pinout

6- Microphone+ ? (unconfirmed but stays low unlike pin 10)
    7- AGD Appears to be a common ground for AV / Headset
    8- Right +
    9- Left +

10- Headset Switch? (pin is high, assuming waiting for pull down=switch depressed)
    11- Headset Detect to AGND (Displays headset icon, Mutes phone speaker, sends audio out connector)
    12- Video Out+ / Sense (Autosenses video connection when connected to RCA jack, brings up TV out dialog on phone)

PINOUT
    Pinout.jpg

ADAPTER
    adapter.jpg

Video Type Screen on phone
    Video_type.JPG

Incredible TV
    tv_out.JPG

Advertisement
  2. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

Smokey, you evil genius. Thanks for your hard work!

-HD

3. smokeynerd

smokeynerd New Member This Topic's Starter

It's all in good fun, still waiting to see if there is still serial debug data but I need a USB cable connected at the same time and that will take a little more work due to small spaces ;)

4. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

I understand 10% of what you said above...

Great job though!

5. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

Wow, nice. I saw that video (at WireFly I think) but have not heard any more about TV out. How does the picture quality look? When a cable becomes available I want to hook up my phone to the TV to play SNESOID, NESOID... all the ...OIDS.

6. coffee_carafe

coffee_carafe Member

Wow... awesome

7. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

When will you go into production? lol

8. Legobricke

Legobricke Well-Known Member

Can't you get this cable already at Amazon?

Lego!

9. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

Wow that's great , it amazes me how good some people are with electronics. Kudos to you very impresive

Like someone else asked, how is the picture quality ?

10. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

really cool

11. sucker4pa1n

sucker4pa1n Well-Known Member

It looks like the adapter is made out of a dime or something... oh wait, nevermind. That's just a backdrop to show the etched runs. :p That's pretty sweet! I've got the know-how but am far too lazy to attempt it (I've helped but never solo'd my own etching project before... I'm more of a software guy I guess).

12. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

What are the headset/microphone pins for? You can get a USB headset?

Also, your tv pic showed the home screen. I thought only videos would be going out the TV out cable, so that's news.

13. ChuckFarley

ChuckFarley Well-Known Member

This is amazing! Have you built another adapter board? Can you confirm audio out via usb? I'm figuring of course through the movie player, but what about the stock audio player? It'd be nice if I could rig something to my nav system to play movies, play music, and charge at the same time.

14. Legobricke

Legobricke Well-Known Member

15. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

16. Kubla

Kubla Active Member

Smokey is a Genius.
    I had the impression that the Micro USB for the Incredible had 11 pins, but his pin out shows 12.
    Anyway, it looks like he decoded it.

17. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

Dude! I never noticed those contacts at the rear of the connector! I actually sat there one day trying to connect AV cables to the USB pins to see if by some weird chance the signals were multiplexed. No dice...

I usually make my own boards so I'm definitely gonna try to etch out my own connector and make a whole USB/AV cable! Thanks for the info! :D

18. Chinasaur

Chinasaur New Member

This is great; nice work! I assume this USB/AV port will also support remote control commands, so that a product like the old USBExt remote (Review: HTC Wired Remote Control Headset | WMExperts) will be possible on the new micro port? Any idea what pins this could go over? Is anyone familiar enough with the old USBExt remote to know how Android devs can interact with these commands?

19. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

Nice, I kind of want to send this to a prototype board shop and have them make a nicely shaped double sided board for USB/AV.

20. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

So, if you turn your tv on its side, can you see things in landscape??

21. nickreich

nickreich Well-Known Member

Wow. Very crafty.

I'm curious. My skills with such matters are non existent. But is it within the means of a skilled developer to set it up so that the incredible's screen is a controller yet what shows up on the screen is video? (speaking with regard to these old school game emulators)

This would allow more screen real-estate for all sorts of controllers and input systems.

22. t3abags

t3abags New Member

Why not just spend 29.99 for this cable

23. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

It's never been in stock as far as I know.

24. papamarik

papamarik Well-Known Member

I just got a call from htcpedia and they are now processing order for tv out cable.

"Confirmation: The shipment with HTC TV Out cables for HTC Incredible will be here after 4:30pm EST today, Friday July 2nd, 2010. All orders will be shipped out on Tuesday July 6th as Monday July 5th is an Independence Day holiday."

They told me they are getting 300pcs later today and already 267 only available.

HTC Droid Incredible TV-Out Cable

cp1 likes this.
  25. Kubla

Kubla Active Member

I just got an email from HTCpedia and and they told me they are sending me another email with all the shipping information. I guess that will be Tuesday.